Quantcast

Heard some bad news today...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I went to talk to my academic advisor in religion today about classes. I have two advisors because I am a double major, religion and geography (larry and bob, respectively).

Normally, he is pretty reserved but I swear, the man was on the verge of tears. We were talking about my other advisor, who has been in and out of teaching classes all semester because of cancer treatment. Last time I saw him, he was doing okay and seemed pretty well. He didn't say anything about his treatment or condition. I wouldn't have even known he had been having any problems if my religion advisor had not already told me about it.

I asked Larry if Bob was going to come back next semester to teach. His response was along the lines of "James, I don't think Bob is ever going to be coming back." Nobody seems to know that much but, as it looks, there's not much hope for him.

It hurts to think about. I am friends with the man and he has been great to me. He is married, with two boys (9 and 12 years old, I think). Such a great guy with a terrific mind. Life isn't fair....

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
can't i've gotten that close to any of my advisors. i don't any of my advisors have ever actually known my name. ah, the joy of going to a school of 50,000.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
the Inbred said:
can't i've gotten that close to any of my advisors. i don't any of my advisors have ever actually known my name. ah, the joy of going to a school of 50,000.
Yeah, I go to a school of about 2,400 in a small town. Plus, the departments I am in are not big. I think there are 5 professors in the geography dept. I am on a first name basis with all of them. Hell, I've been to Larry's house for dinner on more than one occassion...

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
that is really rough. i am very close to my advisor as well. i feel i would be pretty lost without her. it always makes it harder when kids are involved too. i'm sorry.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
JRogers said:
Yeah, I go to a school of about 2,400 in a small town. Plus, the departments I am in are not big. I think there are 5 professors in the geography dept. I am on a first name basis with all of them. Hell, I've been to Larry's house for dinner on more than one occassion...
oh my god you're lucky. not cool about your advisor, though....

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
sorry, :sad:

for some reason im in the bad advisor group. we all are really close to being kicked out and dont even know each other.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
I'm sorry to hear that. I am realizing more and more how quickly things can change. My fiance is a nurse and I hear horror stories all the time about good people who meet horrific ends at the hands of cancer, poor medical care, abusive parents, etc... The only good thing to be said about such ugly situations is that they help to put all of the other trivial BS in life into perspective for those of us who are, at present, bystanders.

Take Care

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Too bad about your advisor. I have had some great interactions with faculty over the (many) years that I've been in school. Advisors can be incredibly inspiring, especially at small schools, and more so if you make a point of being into academics.

On a somewhat related topic, good to hear there are some other geographers on the Monkey. Diana Sinton, who I think teaches GIS at Middlebury, was a Ph.D. graduate from my department. Her dissertation project and my thesis are somewhat similar, and I could use her input. So, I am jealous of your proximity to her.

Keep your head up. Your professors ability to work at Middlebury makes him the envy of many academics throughout the States. Obviously he must be a bright guy with an inspired outlook on life.

Sent: Mon, November 15, 2004 5:49 PM
To: All Faculty; All Staff; students
Subject: Robert R. Churchill

To the Middlebury College Community

I write with the sad news of the passing of our colleague Robert R. Churchill, William R. Kenan, Jr. Professor of Geography.

Bob joined the faculty in 1978, when he was hired as Instructor in Geography. Even before he was tenured in 1986, he was the major force behind the shaping of a department that had been in danger of elimination in the early 1980s. In his long tenure as Chair of the Geography Department, he built a strong faculty and a curriculum known for its rigorous standards and substantial contributions to several of the College's interdisciplinary programs. He established the College's program in geographic information systems (GIS), which now not only supports the geography curriculum, but also the environmental studies program and other academic programs on campus. In fact, GIS at Middlebury, and geography as well, is viewed by many in the profession as the gold standard for liberal arts colleges, thanks, in large part, to Bob's leadership and vision.

Bob was one of the most gifted teachers on the Middlebury faculty, able to teach with great effectiveness courses in both physical and human geography, in lecture, lab, or seminar format, and to geography majors or non-majors. Although one of the most rigorous and demanding of professors, he was also among the most admired and appreciated by his students.

Bob received his B.S. and M.S. from Northern Illinois University, and his Ph.D. from the University of Iowa. An active researcher, Bob published and presented numerous articles and conference papers on subjects ranging from "The Lake Erie-Niagara River Ice Boom" to "Scale, Context, and Causes of Suicide in the United States," with former Middlebury colleague Malcolm Cutchin. Bob also published a number of scholarly articles with his students, both undergraduates and former students who went on to become academics following their studies at Middlebury. At the office, his focus was always geography, and his interests were always his students.

The recipient of grants from the National Science Foundation, National Geographic Society, and the National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Institute, Bob was also a strong supporter of geography teaching in Vermont schools and an organizer of the Vermont Geography Bee, held for many years on the Middlebury campus.

Plans for a memorial service have not yet been finalized; when they are, I will share that information with the community.

Ronald D. Liebowitz