Quantcast

Hearing protectors

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
usage? i have 2 pairs of 3M ones that are rated to i think 30db. I typically will use them in combination with a pair of squishy ear plugs for extra protection.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
usage? i have 2 pairs of 3M ones that are rated to i think 30db. I typically will use them in combination with a pair of squishy ear plugs for extra protection.
i should also add my dad (mid 70's) has lost the vast majority of his hearing as a result of insufficient hearing protection during his career (he didn't work in the machine shop, but spent enough time in them). that's why I double up. although it won't undo the hearing damage i've already received from years of extremely loud concerts in very small spaces, it'll protect what I have left.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Earplugs attenuate more than just earmuffs, earplugs+earmuffs for the most.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I'm willing to pay a bit more than the cost of a basic set of muffs to get something that has passive protection but also has ANC, hear through, & bluetooth. I have a pair of in-ear Jabra Elite Active 75T ear buds that work great when I'm mowing, on the tractor, running a saw, shooting, etc., but those probably wouldn't fit with a hearing aid and are easy to lose. For over the ear stuff, I'd check out well known brands like 3M, Howard Leight, and Walker's to start.

Here's a nice set of Walker's on sale: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101712898?pid=830211

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
After seemingly getting tinnitus from Covid, it was on my to-do list to pick up some earmuffs for chainsaw work etc versus my old way of using noise cancelling or trying to use plugs. So this thread is pursuant to my interest :)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Don't have any muffs, but of all the ear plugs I've tried at work, these ones seem to be the best (for me).

They don't feel like some of those thick stiff ones you need to roll and don't feel like they're about to pop out. Also very rarely need to ever insert them a 2nd time. I still roll them and then insert..

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I have a set of custom molded ear plugs that I use mostly.
if indoor shooting or it’s very loud I put on a pair of muffs

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I have a set of custom molded ear plugs that I use mostly.
if indoor shooting or it’s very loud I put on a pair of muffs
Same, but mostly for going to concerts. Use them in the shop too. -25db. They’re also very relaxing to wear when flying.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have a fair bit of info on this somewhere but I have forgotten it all. To be running - 30 muffs and then add plugs you should be able to listen to something like a pneumatic jack hammer for a whole working day without any hearing degradation, that's pretty hardcore for home use.

At one workplace I was called ear muff boy but I don't really use them now, I use ear plugs for the pressure washer and air wizzer gasket remover thing but that's it really, should wear them more often.
Anyone got muffs that aren't made in China? I couldn't find any locally.