Quantcast

Heat Wave Ride

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
This past weekend it was rather warm for wintertime so I went riding. Saturday was cloudy, but relatively warm, and Sunday was downright hot and sunny.

My pics here are from Saturday where we did about 3 hours of riding and exploring. The beginning climb up to Gray Butte from the backside of the area is a long fireroad climb that is pretty continuous. There were sections of packed snow and some spots of mud but nothing too bad. Once we turned onto the singletrack it was all tacky with little to no mud.

Derek enjoying some singletrack love.

Even though it was cloudy, the views were still pretty.

We took singletrack after singletrack, passing through gates and whatnot. Before long we had wound our way down into the canyon where the sun hadn't reached. The trail led straight through the creek which had frozen over.

Testing the ice, yep, it's solid! This canyon was amazing with all the rock formations and natural beauty.

On rides with me you just never know when you are going to have to crawl under barbed wire and do war simulations. Expect the unexpected because that's how I roll.

Too bad we'd passed the guys shooting guns up against into the cliffs, then it could have been a real simulation!

This canyon is notorious for being frozen the longest and it didn't disappoint.

All in all, a really fun day with some tough climbs and fun singletrack. It really is everywhere out there.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Such a great little14 miler or so. Surprised that there is so little snow there. Did you take the new singletrack up to the right back to the Skull Hollow CG at the end? And, where was the wire you had to crawl under? I don't remember that part on any of the trails out there. Bombing down the canyon at the end is full tilt boogie!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/climbercraig66/sets/72157594156484807/ Craig's pics from last year. Heidi has a couple shots in the middle and Gray Butte is at the end.
4 months to go. The clock is ticking.....:monkeydance: :monkeydance:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Such a great little14 miler or so. Surprised that there is so little snow there. Did you take the new singletrack up to the right back to the Skull Hollow CG at the end? And, where was the wire you had to crawl under? I don't remember that part on any of the trails out there. Bombing down the canyon at the end is full tilt boogie!
This was way more than 14 miles, there is a ton out there. I'm not sure that singletrack you're talking about, it's everywhere. The wire we had to crawl under was a shortcut. We took a wrong turn and I didn't want to go all the way back up what we'd come down.:shocked:

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
I know there's more. I was talking to Kent later in the day after you stopped by last year and we were going over some maps of proposed stuff in Giardia Canyon, etc. The "14 mile loop" I spoke of is riding out from Skull Hollow CG on the road, right up and around the Butte to the old farm and then the singletrack around to the saddle and down the Hollow trail and back to the CG. There is the optional out and back or half road loop to the top of the Burma Road too that I know of.

(Don't want to ride up or down Burma again! :0 )

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I know there's more. I was talking to Kent later in the day after you stopped by last year and we were going over some maps of proposed stuff in Giardia Canyon, etc. The "14 mile loop" I spoke of is riding out from Skull Hollow CG on the road, right up and around the Butte to the old farm and then the singletrack around to the saddle and down the Hollow trail and back to the CG. There is the optional out and back or half road loop to the top of the Burma Road too that I know of.

(Don't want to ride up or down Burma again! :0 )
Giardia Canyon is the ice picture and the one after it.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Ah so, did you take the right down the Cole Trail at the gate and then back up the road to the saddle? Supposedly, there's plans for several more miles of machine built trail out there. Which would be fine with me! Conditions looked great. No muck on the North/Northwest side?

Sun Valley this fall?

Or, come up 4th of July weekend for Kettle Crest with Skookum. Good stuff! Check out his ride report here or at mtbr.com/WA :thumb:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
At the bottom of the canyon we turned left and took a little steeeeep singletrack back up to Grey Butte. BURN BABY BURN!

Sun Valley is in the plans for late summer. No real muck to speak of, except for that snow section in the picture. That WILL be mucky soon if it doesn't cool off.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Ha! You probably went back up the Cole Trail then.

We'll talk the end of May/early June. It's still snow season here and any trail time is consumed by clearing blowdown from the December storm.