Quantcast

Heated Socks?

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Anyone give them a try and did they last? Seems the insoles aren’t reliable from reviews and cant stand covers etc. Toe warmers don’t seem to cut it as well anymore

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
For winter i swap to my old faithful Shimano shoe, just noticed some vents so going to tape them off. Wool socks and hand warmers on ankles. funky foot injury isn’t agreeing with the cold this year.
I hear merino wool and sealskin for wet are good options. Friends running 45 north and winter shoes I just hate spending. Once snow hits i run flats and keene boots, I’m on cape cod now so hopefully not a snow winter here. Been ridding on dirt whole season so far.
High hopes on the socks, Keep ya posted here on outcome. How ya keeping piggies warm?

Attachments

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For winter i swap to my old faithful Shimano shoe, just noticed some vents so going to tape them off. Wool socks and hand warmers on ankles. funky foot injury isn’t agreeing with the cold this year.
I hear merino wool and sealskin for wet are good options. Friends running 45 north and winter shoes I just hate spending. Once snow hits i run flats and keene boots, I’m on cape cod now so hopefully not a snow winter here. Been ridding on dirt whole season so far.
High hopes on the socks, Keep ya posted here on outcome. How ya keeping piggies warm?
wool socks are a must. i have several different thickness wool socks depending on temperature.

a few years back i ponied up for proper winter shoes, Lake 303 and haven't regretted it (actually regret not making the jump sooner). Not long after I also got a pair of Lake 145's, similar to the 303's but less insulation (more for fall / spring when its cold but not frigid). Yes they're expensive, but the portion of the year you'll use them is shorter so you'll get a much longer life out of them (my 303's are 5 years old and going strong).

i also added aerogel insulating insoles (my shoes didn't include these, some newer models/brands do). they were $20 for 2 sets on Amazon and made a noticeable difference, definitely worth checking out and not an expensive upgrade.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Once snow hits i run flats and keene boots, I’m on cape cod now so hopefully not a snow winter here. Been ridding on dirt whole season so far.
Hello fellow Masshole, where on the Cape are you? I may have to swing by and ride ToT and Otis when the rest of New England is buried in snow.
I find it interesting that toe warmers don't work for you. If you ride on flats and real winter boots, it isn't that hard to keep your feet warm. Clip-ins are a different challenge as the shoes generally suck and the thermal bridge keeps removing heat from the soles.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I had some headed insoles that were controlled by remote, they didn't work for crap (not very warm) and hard to tell if they were on, plus they take a lot of space up in your shoes that you probably didn't account for when you bought them.

I have some hotronics S4 heated insoles. These do work, they work for hours and have settings that you can actually feel.

The primary thing is having boots that can work in the temps for you, otherwise heaters and other stuff isn't going to be enough IME. Last week in AZ, I took my Lake 302s. They are shitty by any measure, but perfect for the high 30s and low 40s temps I encountered in some places, plus a little bit of waterproof-ness for streams. I use duct tape to "seal" the top of them, since they don't come with any good ratchet/strap. Most mtb stuff is an exercise in fail because the heat-sink cleat is real close to the ball of your foot and there's no real insulation distance between them, so it ends up sucking tons of heat out of your foot constantly, giving you cold toes, exacerbated by very little foot-flexing to pump blood and constant airflow over the shoe. The newer 303s are a lot better.

The 302s went obsolete just as the industry figured out that a lot of the "winter" crap was dipshit glorified summer stuff with neoprene cuffs that didn't really do much to keep you warm. There are two ways to ride in the cold, indefinite "I'm happy" mode, and "countdown to death" mode where you are trying to ride for as long as you can stand because you are fighting the conditions and losing the battle constantly.

So 20s to 30s I'm in my wolfhammers. Unfortunately these aren't as good as I had hoped, below about 20F, they get cold and the temp range that they work in seems pretty limited. The Lakes are softer and easier to use for normal MTB and I use them for DH at times too. They can go a lot warmer and not bake your feet. If I had known how limited the wolfhammer temp range was, I probably would have skipped on buying them. This could still be a good buy if you aren't going to go much below 20 degrees F, but so would 303s, assuming you may be boosting either of them with some heaters.

Best of all are my super-expensive wolfgars, these have an incredible temp range, from the 30s down into the crazy negatives, even with my poor bloodflow to extremeties. They are like a ski/mountaineering boot and use a felt-liner. They are much stiffer, but for real cold stuff, worth it.

Bottom line, being happy and warm while riding is worth it. Fighting the conditions sucks and makes it a chore/not fun. Get whatever boots a few sizes too big for socks, insoles, whatever. It's not too hard to make them smaller by putting another insole in there.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Most mtb stuff is an exercise in fail because the heat-sink cleat is real close to the ball of your foot and there's no real insulation distance between them, so it ends up sucking tons of heat out of your foot constantly
this is where i found the biggest improvement with the aerogel insoles.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
this is where i found the biggest improvement with the aerogel insoles.
An additional problem that us with raynauds face is all the insulation in the world is sometimes not enough, as our body simply shuts off blood flow to an extremity, so anything that's there eventually gets cooled by the outside and ends up working as a heat sink, even if it's the most insulating ever. Things like those insoles can help, along with other measures, but it's often frustrating because there's no silver-bullet, apart from a heat-source that acts as a "kickstarter" for blood flow. I've found ways around it, but it's been tough.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
i've ridden my 303's down to about 5F with no issues.
With mine (which I've had nearly 6 years and added the 45nrth aerogel insoles a couple of years ago) they're only good for long rides if it's 20 freedums and up.

On my fat bike I've a pair of composite OneUp pedals and use a pair of these Merrell snow boots, they've been good in single digit freedums.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
how long? when i'm out in the winter its usually 60-90 minutes
A few hours, wind chill is probably playing a big part I guess as wintertime it's unlikely I'll be trail riding with them on. More likely I'm on roads/dirt roads.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I have the redwing wolvhammer, and first gen bontrager omw.

Wife has first and second gen wolvhammer and now the wolfgar.

She does races like Arrowhead 135, I just ride to the bar.

Toe warmers are better than electric socks IMHO good wool socks work the best.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
wool socks are a must. i have several different thickness wool socks depending on temperature.

a few years back i ponied up for proper winter shoes, Lake 303 and haven't regretted it (actually regret not making the jump sooner). Not long after I also got a pair of Lake 145's, similar to the 303's but less insulation (more for fall / spring when its cold but not frigid). Yes they're expensive, but the portion of the year you'll use them is shorter so you'll get a much longer life out of them (my 303's are 5 years old and going strong).

i also added aerogel insulating insoles (my shoes didn't include these, some newer models/brands do). they were $20 for 2 sets on Amazon and made a noticeable difference, definitely worth checking out and not an expensive upgrade.
Killer, for a fall/spring option prolly worth the investment, the windy trips on road freeze my feet up and waiting for the day I don’t thaw out. I hear ya on the wool and thicker isn’t always warmer, got lucky today 59 degrees and a short sleeve today.

Last edited:

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Hello fellow Masshole, where on the Cape are you? I may have to swing by and ride ToT and Otis when the rest of New England is buried in snow.
I find it interesting that toe warmers don't work for you. If you ride on flats and real winter boots, it isn't that hard to keep your feet warm. Clip-ins are a different challenge as the shoes generally suck and the thermal bridge keeps removing heat from the soles.
I’m in mid cape yarmouth , little off the map but my spot. How about you? Got some killer stuff too just over the bridge.
I’m good on the boots and no Problems, just so much quicker and put it off until snow hits past a few inches. The warmers used to do the trick on ankles for me but got foot stuck between a boat and dock this year and not the same foot. Keep us in mind, only one week last year we couldn’t ride. I have trails i work on that are little more interesting, also 151 is a blast and Nickerson park for flow trails, TOT is the groups spot and fun xc ish. Hit me up anytime

Last edited:

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Great info gang and thanks for great info here, ya’ll speak the truth, Lots of bs on the topic and truly a game changer being able to feel toes after the rides.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
With mine (which I've had nearly 6 years and added the 45nrth aerogel insoles a couple of years ago) they're only good for long rides if it's 20 freedums and up.

On my fat bike I've a pair of composite OneUp pedals and use a pair of these Merrell snow boots, they've been good in single digit freedums.
I found the 45Nrth insoles to be worthless, which is painful given the amount of money I paid for them. I wear them in these:

but I don't find it made much of a difference over the stock soles. If I had to start over, I'd give @jonKranked's recommendation a try. But for me, this combo is comfortable (with a wool sock and polypro liner) down to 10°F and tolerable down to 5°.

Below that, I'll throw on some plastic flats (Nukeproof something or other), and ride with these:

(Columbia Fairbanks). I haven't really found their lower limit yet, because I generally don't bother riding when it's colder than -10°F.

Most of my rides are between one and two hours in the winter.

I've thought of the 45 Nrth Wolvhammers; most of my buddies have them and they have mixed reviews. But they're close to $500 canukistani pesos once you factor in taxes, and that seems ridiculous to me. I might hunt for a deal on them over the summer, but I'm not holding my breath.

I put heated socks on my Christmas list, but I'm not really hoping to get them... it's more of a "nice to have" that I wouldn't buy for myself. I hope they work if I do wind up getting them! (and I'll try to remember to update teh :monkey: )

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I found the 45Nrth insoles to be worthless, which is painful given the amount of money I paid for them....but I don't find it made much of a difference over the stock soles.
Agreed, I can't say I noticed much difference over the stock insoles.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The local motorcycle/leather shop sells sheep-skin wool insoles and the fatbikers buy them up like crazy. I have a pair and they help.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I’m in mid cape yarmouth , little off the map but my spot. How about you? Got some killer stuff too just over the bridge.
I’m good on the boots and no Problems, just so much quicker and put it off until snow hits past a few inches. The warmers used to do the trick on ankles for me but got foot stuck between a boat and dock this year and not the same foot. Keep us in mind, only one week last year we couldn’t ride. I have trails i work on that are little more interesting, also 151 is a blast and Nickerson park for flow trails, TOT is the groups spot and fun xc ish. Hit me up anytime
I am a North shore boi (almost - Winchester) but my friend has a home in Mashpee and I had many opportunities to ride with him in his hood. Sadly, he has moved to Florida for Winters recently so I need to find friends down there for occasional Winter riding trips. :D Thanks for the offer!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I found the 45Nrth insoles to be worthless, which is painful given the amount of money I paid for them. I wear them in these:

but I don't find it made much of a difference over the stock soles. If I had to start over, I'd give @jonKranked's recommendation a try. But for me, this combo is comfortable (with a wool sock and polypro liner) down to 10°F and tolerable down to 5°.

Below that, I'll throw on some plastic flats (Nukeproof something or other), and ride with these:

(Columbia Fairbanks). I haven't really found their lower limit yet, because I generally don't bother riding when it's colder than -10°F.

Most of my rides are between one and two hours in the winter.

I've thought of the 45 Nrth Wolvhammers; most of my buddies have them and they have mixed reviews. But they're close to $500 canukistani pesos once you factor in taxes, and that seems ridiculous to me. I might hunt for a deal on them over the summer, but I'm not holding my breath.

I put heated socks on my Christmas list, but I'm not really hoping to get them... it's more of a "nice to have" that I wouldn't buy for myself. I hope they work if I do wind up getting them! (and I'll try to remember to update teh :monkey: )
Bumping caus' I'm still curious about heated socks. I'm comfortable in my Specialized's down 10°F (-12°C). I'd love to extend their comfort range down to about -18°C (0°F). So not that much. I'm not really keen on riding below -18°C caus' everything else becomes miserable. But lots of our night rides happen in the -15 -16 -17 range (5° to 1°F).

I have a bunch of friends with the Wolvhammers, and only 2 or 3 are happy with them (and not just for warmth reasons - there's weight, clunkiness, and by many accounts the Boa on the latest version isn't great), so I'm not keen on dropping a princely sum on them.

Which is why I'm thinking about heated socks. If they can expand the comfort range a handful of degrees (from 10° to 1°F) I'm thinking they could be a good solution. Bonus is that I could use them for other things such as skiing.

Local retailers carry the Lenz socks, which seem to have universally good reviews - for skiing. Anyone here try those?

What temps do you ride the 303s in? I'd been looking at the 304s as an alternative for the Wolvhammers...

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
YMMV

I found wool socks and the thinsulate 5.10 freeriders good down to -19F° in South Dakota.

I find poor fit (superfeet insoles may help) to be the greatest influence on cold digits. Short OR gaiters to decrease airflow has kept me toasty on my rides.

Ignore if you are riding clipless, I dont think their general construction is conducive to extreme cold weather riding.

Bumping caus' I'm still curious about heated socks. I'm comfortable in my Specialized's down 10°F (-12°C). I'd love to extend their comfort range down to about -18°C (0°F). So not that much. I'm not really keen on riding below -18°C caus' everything else becomes miserable. But lots of our night rides happen in the -15 -16 -17 range (5° to 1°F).

I have a bunch of friends with the Wolvhammers, and only 2 or 3 are happy with them (and not just for warmth reasons - there's weight, clunkiness, and by many accounts the Boa on the latest version isn't great), so I'm not keen on dropping a princely sum on them.

Which is why I'm thinking about heated socks. If they can expand the comfort range a handful of degrees (from 10° to 1°F) I'm thinking they could be a good solution. Bonus is that I could use them for other things such as skiing.

Local retailers carry the Lenz socks, which seem to have universally good reviews - for skiing. Anyone here try those?

What temps do you ride the 303s in? I'd been looking at the 304s as an alternative for the Wolvhammers...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

F-ing hate my wolfhammers, what a waste of money. The wolfgars on the other hand, they are awesome and STILL work in the warmer temps where the wolfhammers actually work. Unless it's like 26F or warmer, the wolfhammers are going to turn my toes into ice blocks. I'm using a silk sock liner, then RAB vapor barriers, then Wiggys boot liners, although a normal wool sock at that point would be decent for most everyone. The VB setup is amazing. Breadbags and shopping bags do not work IME.

I have heated insoles, hotronics S4s, they work and put out good heat for a long time, but I haven't needed them in two seasons now that I'm doing the above. I also sewed little pockets into the boot liners above the toe box so IF my toes get cold, I can quickly drop a toe heater into that pocket in a fairly quick operation out on the trail. That works good to.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I haven't personally, but have had two close friends recommend these in the past couple of weeks as very good...but that's, west coast winter riding, not below 10F riding...that being said, I bet these paired with your current set up would probably give you some extra leeway. My toes have been getting worse and worse in my ski boots the past few winters, so I'm starting to think about headed socks a bit more seriously, but man the price is a tough pill to swallow...the Lenz's are pretty much what my ski boots cost...ugh

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I ride them once I gets into the mid 20s (F) and lower. It rarely gets below 0 around here, I think the coldest I've ridden them is maybe -5 or -10. I put aerogel insoles in them and it was an improvement. I'll vary my socks depending on the temp and how long I'll be riding.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Curious if many of you are riding flats or clips in the winter? When the temps go south here I typically swap my clips for flats and a pair of 5 Tens. I ride flats for DH all summer so it isn't a big deal to do that for trail, also if it's snowy or super muddy I don't have to deal w/ cleat nonsense. That said, my go to winter setup is a slightly upsized impact w/ a water proof sock and a thin merino sock under against my skin. Seems to work really good for me but I don't really to care for riding under 15/20 F.

I have a friend who rides in those wolvehammer things and they look annoying as hell to wear...Also, what is the huge advantage of clips in the snow anyway? Seems ridiculous to me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Curious if many of you are riding flats or clips in the winter? When the temps go south here I typically swap my clips for flats and a pair of 5 Tens. I ride flats for DH all summer so it isn't a big deal to do that for trail, also if it's snowy or super muddy I don't have to deal w/ cleat nonsense. That said, my go to winter setup is a slightly upsized impact w/ a water proof sock and a thin merino sock under against my skin. Seems to work really good for me but I don't really to care for riding under 15/20 F.

I have a friend who rides in those wolvehammer things and they look annoying as hell to wear...Also, what is the huge advantage of clips in the snow anyway? Seems ridiculous to me.
clipless year round

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah? I am def a fan of clipless for lots of things but certain stuff like pretty technical dh or snow makes me wonder what the point is?...Just a personal preference I guess.
I use clipless for dh too, just got used to it. And we don't get a ton of snow around where I live so that's kind of a moot point.

Yeah? I am def a fan of clipless for lots of things but certain stuff like pretty technical dh or snow makes me wonder what the point is?...Just a personal preference I guess.
I went from clipless to flats during winter for two reasons. One was colf feet due to thermal conduction through the cleats, the second was that I got fed up trying to kick in with iced up cleats.