Quantcast

heavy bike training???

kafin8ed

Devil Goat Boy
Aug 12, 2001
Woodland Hills, CA
My XC bike won't be finished for a month or 2 (i'm waiting for money to buy a zocchi marathon) so I've been doing alot of riding on my ~30lb bullit & thanks to some good weight training this winter I can ride the pig up just about everything that I used to ride my XC bike up last season, abeit not as fast. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how effective this sorta riding/training was? It most likely does nothing for my speed training, but that's what road intervals are for. DOes anyone else do this sorta thing? Just yesterday I smoked some guy on a hardtail going up a technical singletrack hill, haha... the look on his face when he saw what I was riding was great...
-kaf

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If it makes you feel like a king, do it. What's more to be said?

kafin8ed

Devil Goat Boy
Aug 12, 2001
Woodland Hills, CA
i wouldn't say it makes me feel like a king, but I'm looking forward to how stinkin light my XC bike is going to feel compared to the pig once i get it rolling...

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
only 30 pounds??? what will your xc bike weigh? an extra 6-8 pounds wont make a huge difference. ride my 44 pound monsterup your xc trails...then you'll feel like a king(and get stronger leg muscles too)

it will definately make your new bike seem more nimbleand quick and the ups, but it wont be as nice on the downs

PeteNJ

Chimp
Jan 13, 2002
Rutgers NJ (New Brunswick)
30lbs?! My XC race bike weighs that much! I usually ride my 42lbs Big Hit on the XC trails around here. I have found that it has defintely made my legs stronger for short steep climbs....but it doesnt really help with endurance. Also I noticed that when I hop back on my XC bike I tend to lean the bike too much in the corners which makes me loose control. Prolly the cornering characteristics difference between a 1.9 and Gazzi 2.6 ;)