Quantcast

heavy: the story of metal

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
anyone catch this on VH1 last night? it was pretty good. how no one could have thought rod halford wasn't gay is beyond me.

exhibit A (marc almond, wellknown poof):

rob:

:D

<plenty of good footage of heavy metal parking lot during the Priest segment too>

btw, i didn't know that bruce dickinson wasn't the original singer of iron maiden; i actually much prefer the 1st guy. operatic singing doesn't cut it w/ me.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Bummer I wish I saw that. I don't like operatic singing either but I think Maiden pulled together a good sound.

There any current metal bands you are into?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, i didnt watch that because Vh1 said something about honoring Judas Priest, Kiss, Def Leppard and Black Sabbath. Not that those bands dont have thier place, but I hate Kiss and Def Leppard, and priest and sabbath are growing a little tired after all the wanking VH1 ALREADY gives them. I just hate Vh1.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
that Witch track i played as SotD is killing me. the YSI link is probably still active, so check it out if it is.

the last High on Fire is pretty great, and the last two Sunn O)))) are good if you like drone/noise metal.

i've heard that the new Boris cd _Pink_ is killer, but haven't heard it yet.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BurlyShirley said:
Yeah, i didnt watch that because Vh1 said something about honoring Judas Priest, Kiss, Def Leppard and Black Sabbath. Not that those bands dont have thier place, but I hate Kiss and Def Leppard, and priest and sabbath are growing a little tired after all the wanking VH1 ALREADY gives them. I just hate Vh1.
as VH1 stuff goes, it's pretty damned good and has a lot of footage i'd not seen before. plus, they had a bunch of bits w/ the publisher of Kerrang! :)

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
no cable :(
Did the episode touch on the new wave of British Heavy Metal? (Motorhead, Venom, etc?)
How about 80's thrash?
If not, I don't really care about missing it ;)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
oh yeah, the episode (i think there are 4) was all about the NWoBHM...saxon, tigers of pan tang, girlschool, venom, etc.

they had a section talking about metal fans going to a rock club and bringing plywood cutouts of guitars, to take their air guitar playing to the next level.

:rofl:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I didn't even know until yesterday that it was "Metal Month" on VH1. I watched the Behind the music of Pantera, but changed it after seeing who they put together for "Super Group".

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
Zark said:
no cable :(
Did the episode touch on the new wave of British Heavy Metal? (Motorhead, Venom, etc?)
How about 80's thrash?
If not, I don't really care about missing it ;)

Zark, I'll see if I can Tivo it, should be cool

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
btw, i didn't know that bruce dickinson wasn't the original singer of iron maiden; i actually much prefer the 1st guy. operatic singing doesn't cut it w/ me.
How could anyone not know that?

And I thought you were a music buff.

:nonono:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i was a punk rocker, mortal enemy of the hair band/metal fan. i never heard an iron maiden or judas priest song in high school, if you can believe that.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think it was widely known in the metal world. But Outing is not exactly a discussion topic in the heavy metal parking lot.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
i was a punk rocker, mortal enemy of the hair band/metal fan. i never heard an iron maiden or judas priest song in high school, if you can believe that.
I was raised in the east bay of SF. Metal was the door you had to walk through to get to punk.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
H8R - get a GREENP or clear some PMs.

noob.
While you were writing this bitchy post I was cleaning house.

Try it again, punk rock homo.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
narlus said:
Nothing wrong with that. I grew up in the Midwest where even today all the bar bands sound like REO or Head East. Once I got to college and was exposed to the likes of The Ramones, The Sex Pistols and The Clash the world seemed a much better place.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
anyone watch the installment last night?

i never knew that the Spinal Tap 'stonehenge stage prop dimensioning disaster' was actually based on a real-life iron maiden occurence.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
narlus said:
You must have been exposed in the waning days of good metal. By the time I was in HS (class of '88, kinda'?) I didn't want to listen to those bands either?
But, in middle school both bands were at the top of the list. JP - Screaming for Vengence, IM - Number of the beast. I can still listen to either of those discs now and enjoy. Hell, even Motley Crews first album was good music, but nose dived with fame?
Metal took a beating in the mid to late 80's. It got lame and really no band was spared.
One of my friends has an older brother that used to turn us on to new music so as his tastes changed, so did ours. We went from "metal" to "speed/death metal" to "hardcore" and some semblence of "punk".
I seem to remember a lot of NYHC bands making good music. And the one Bad Brains disc was a favorite for a while too.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
nah, the metal must have escaped me...the only metal records i recall ever listening to growing up here stuff my brother had (he was 4 years older, and graduated HS in '80). stuff like kiss, aerosmith, led zep, nugent, blue oyster cult, sabbath, etc. he had the 1st two van halen records too; that's about as close it came i guess.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
BeerDemon said:
Bummer I wish I saw that. I don't like operatic singing either but I think Maiden pulled together a good sound.

There any current metal bands you are into?
Paul DiAno was his name, and I love his vocal style. I saw them open up fro Priest in 1980 on their killers tour. Original drummer, Clive Bur.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I just watched it today. I thought it was really good. Now metal mania is on.

I like (not in any particular order):

Black Sabbath
Van Halen
Iron Maden
Def Leppard
Judas Priest
Skid Row
Guns and Roses
Dio
Motorhead
to many to list

I just saw a poison music video. I guess, I haven't heard the really poppy side.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
i never knew that the Spinal Tap 'stonehenge stage prop dimensioning disaster' was actually based on a real-life iron maiden occurence.

Ozzy told me something to that effect - it was Sabbath actually. After Ozzy was out, I think it was Ian Gillian was singing, (Born Again era?) they made a version of Stonehenge that was too big to fit into some of the arenas they were playing. Spinal Tap took it to the other extreme.