• Both

Votes: 16 57.1%

• Total voters

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Both.

Davis is a friggin' idiot for both skipping out on a team event and for bringing it up at the press conference.

Hendrick is an idiot for not shrugging it off and congratulating his teammate.

Such petty crap :rolleyes:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was sort of glad to see neither won after all the bitching. I do agree it's about supporting your country, not furthering your career.

And yes, loco still sucks.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
DRB said:
At least Joey Cheek is a standup guy and as successful as either of them to this point. He seems to get the Olympic spirit.

I wanted him to win more than the other guys .....

dmn

I thought that Davis was finally at ease and happy, until the press conference.
Hedrick may be an @ss....but Shani's bringing it to the media. The first interview I saw of him was after he won gold, and he came off as a complete SOD.

speaking of attitudes, did anyone catch the Italian Ice dancing couple after the chick was dropped? Wow.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
DRB said:
At least Joey Cheek is a standup guy and as successful as either of them to this point. He seems to get the Olympic spirit.
Agreed, and I was definitly spporting him more than Davis and Hedrick. Cheek seems like a great guy who wants to help people out too, I mean he donated the earnings from his other medals to some organization to help kids. That's pretty damn cool.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
binary visions said:
Such petty crap :rolleyes:
That pretty much sums it up. Both of them are acting like frikkin 12 year olds in front of the world.

"He didn't say hi!"

"Well he didn't congratulate me!"

"Well he didn't congratulate me first!"

Idiots.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
COmtbiker12 said:
Agreed, and I was definitly spporting him more than Davis and Hedrick. Cheek seems like a great guy who wants to help people out too, I mean he donated the earnings from his other medals to some organization to help kids. That's pretty damn cool.
He was inspired by Derek Zoolander.:clue:

If you read up on the whole Davis and Hedrick thing, it is not just Hedrick who dislikes Davis, but the whole team including the coaches.
Supposedly, he lets him mom call the shots of where and when he races.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
COmtbiker12 said:
I am with you!!!

I think Cheek is the man for his efforts on and off the ice!

as for the Davis, Hedrick thing... I think Hedrick should have respected Davis' position on not participating in the team event. if you saw the interview with Davis' mom, she was pissed at the US Speed skating organization for trying for years to intimidate her and her son... I think that the statement he made by not doing the team event hurt him and definately the team, but maybe it needed to be done to say F-the man!!!

as for Hedrick... he seamed like kinda a dick in every interview I saw...

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Both.

I wish you could see two great athletes just do well, be nice, and have fun. None of this high school drama s**t. It's pretty lame. Do your best, respect your teammates, enjoy the experience, speak well for your country, and leave the petty drama out of what is clearly one of the best experiences of a lifetime.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
not to base my coment of Stereotypes.

but the little waspy whiteboy (sorry don't remenber who is who) looks and acts like your typical fratboy from a well off school or your typical Olimpian when the black guy (not to be offensive just descriptive) came up from a pretty unprivilige background and work his butt off to become the best with out much help and a lot of perseverance, yes it sound like a chessy soap opera, but their dicotomies are as extreme as the ones presented on movies like animal house or you typical romance in a mejican crying fest when the two involve come from very diferent back grounds.

my vote for the Black dude to kick as much butt as posible and then use some of that money he is going to make on sponsorships to get some old and good etiquete classes and some psicological assistence to take some of his hate from the privilige upper class that outcast him for so long..

to me is incredible that the coaches did not detect this type of attitude before hand and took some actions to defuse the issue before (Months ago) it became public in such a unconfortable manner..

long life to equality even if from the start some people have a easier life than others..

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
patineto said:
not to base my coment of Stereotypes.

but the little whiteboy (sorry don't remenber who is who) looks and acts like your typical fratboy from a well off school or your typical Olimpian when the black guy (not to be offencive just descriptive) came up from a pretty unprivilige background and work his butt of to become the best with out my help ad a lot of perseverance, yes it sound like a chessy soap opera, but their dicotomies are as extreme as the ones presented of movies like animal house.

my vote for the Black dude to kick as much butt as he can and then use some of that money he is going to make on sponsorships to get some old and good etiquete classes and some psicological assistence to take some of his hate from the privilige upperclass that outcast him for so long..

to me is incredible that the coaches did not detect this type of attitude before hand and took some actions to defuse the issue before (Months ago) it became public in such a unconfortable manner..

long life to equality even if from the start some people have a easier life than others..
Do you have some knowledge that one had a harder life than the other? Just because the media paints one guy as coming from "the mean streets of chicago" doesnt mean he was underpriveledged.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Davis comes off as a punk ass whiney bitch. i'm surprised he hasn't pulled the race card yet (skin color, not competition).

i love how Hedrick looks at Davis during the interview like "what the **** is your problem, man?"

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I think Davis might be pissed that the media is focusing more on the fact that he's "the first African American athlete to win an individual competition in the winter olympics" instead of congratulating the guy just for winning.

I would be pissed.

The media is focusing on the wrong thing.

It's as if an American Woman won gold in luge, and the reporter asks "So, how does it feel to be the first woman with a 36 C to win a gold in luge????"

wtf, mate?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
MudGrrl said:
I think Davis might be pissed that the media is focusing more on the fact that he's "the first African American athlete to win an individual competition in the winter olympics" instead of congratulating the guy just for winning.

I would be pissed.

It's as if an American Woman won gold in luge, and the reporter asks "So, how does it feel to be the first woman with a 36 C to win a gold in luge????"

wtf, mate?
Yeah, I totally agree. They played up the underprivilidged, inner city youth deal to the utmost extent.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
MudGrrl said:
Not aerodynamic enough anyway.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
MudGrrl said:

I would be pissed.

wtf, mate?
Davis brought it up numerous times on his own. That was one of his excuses for not participating in the team pursuit. His mother even made a comment to the affect that he would be the first African American to win a gold medal. When the reporter reminded her of Vonetta Flowers, she basically blew that off because that's not an individual sport.