Quantcast

heli-biking

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Who dunnit and where'd ya dunnit at?

I'm starting to toss around ideas for this years vacation time and helibiking is at the top of the list. Google only turns up the Gravity Fed outfit in BC. It sure sounds cool and the price is fairly reasonable. [7000ft elevation drop] Have any of you monkeys tried helibiking? Was it worth it? Where did you do it at? Any and all pertinent info thankfully accepted. Pics even more so :D

[No, ALEXIS_DH, peru is to far away - but thanks anyway :p ]

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
What are you looking for, like a 40 mi downhill? Wouldn't that be sweet! :D
I've heard some long ones; Crest/Rainbow is pushing 12 on the down (car shuttle-able), heard of one in the La Sals pushing 20 mi on the down (car shuttle). Heli, now that would be an e-ticket ride, on the way up...hehe

Edit: make your own; if you make it, they will come...

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Pau11y said:
What are you looking for, like a 40 mi downhill? Wouldn't that be sweet! :D
I've heard some long ones; Crest/Rainbow is pushing 12 on the down (car shuttle-able), heard of one in the La Sals pushing 20 mi on the down (car shuttle). Heli, now that would be an e-ticket ride, on the way up...hehe

Edit: make your own; if you make it, they will come...
Yeah, 40 miles is Exactly what I'm looking for, haha. :thumb:

Helibiking just sounds really cool. Way way up above the treeline with as little human intervention as possible. I'm in Oregon, so if we end up somewhere it will probably be north - and with only one vehicle, hence the helicopter idea. But you bring up an interesting point - some shops do shuttles as well. Hmmm. I'm really hoping someone who's done the heli thing chimes in. While reasonable, 200cdn is still a lot of duckets. Where are those trails you mentioned? Are they "shop-shuttle" or totally secret?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
BuddhaRoadkill said:
Yeah, 40 miles is Exactly what I'm looking for, haha. :thumb:

Helibiking just sounds really cool. Way way up above the treeline with as little human intervention as possible. I'm in Oregon, so if we end up somewhere it will probably be north - and with only one vehicle, hence the helicopter idea. But you bring up an interesting point - some shops do shuttles as well. Hmmm. I'm really hoping someone who's done the heli thing chimes in. While reasonable, 200cdn is still a lot of duckets. Where are those trails you mentioned? Are they "shop-shuttle" or totally secret?
Crest/Rainbow/Agate Creek is in Colorado, by a town called Salida. I persoanlly would do this one myself, but I'm sure you can get a shope to do this. There is a gas station/liquor store shuttle to the top of Monarch Ski area. But this is the whole 34 mile ride, 5-7 up, 7-10 up/down, and 12 or so down. Rainbow Creek and Agate Creek are the two downs but Agate is the better of the two.
The La Sals DH is in/around Moab, Utah. This one I haven't done, yet. But w/ my new build this winter, I'm thinking this spring... I think to do it, you'll have to hit the local shops for some directions on this one. Maybe one of the UT boyz or a CO local knows about this one and will share.
I really like your idea of above treeline tho. However, w/ treeline at around 12.5k ft, it doesn't leave many mountains for that in CO. I mean, the 14ers are mostly in Wildnerness area where bikes aren't allowed.