Quantcast

Helicoil (sp) stem/handlebar interface?

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Okay, so I got a new stem/bar combo today for my urban/DJ/4x do everything HT.

Well really I just got a new bar, the stem is some generic oversized clamp 1 1/8".

While tightening down the bar, I stripped out one of the threads, of the four, the bottom one, the resulting stress caused the other one to fail as well, thus I have a stem that is not working. Can I just heli-coil the bottom threads and call it good or is this a really really bad idea.

It would be a temporary fix...I'm waiting for the correct stem.

How good is helicoiling something? Suprisingly I'm yet to do it...

All I need is the helicoil kit, a drill, the correct drill bit and a tap correct?

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by neversummersnow
Okay, so I got a new stem/bar combo today for my urban/DJ/4x do everything HT.

Well really I just got a new bar, the stem is some generic oversized clamp 1 1/8".

While tightening down the bar, I stripped out one of the threads, of the four, the bottom one, the resulting stress caused the other one to fail as well, thus I have a stem that is not working. Can I just heli-coil the bottom threads and call it good or is this a really really bad idea.

It would be a temporary fix...I'm waiting for the correct stem.

How good is helicoiling something? Suprisingly I'm yet to do it...

All I need is the helicoil kit, a drill, the correct drill bit and a tap correct?
Jeff,
Depending on the stem, you could possibly drill it all the way through and run a bolt and a nut in there. I did this once in my super low-budget BMX days and it held up fine. I used to be able to ghetto fix just about anything.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Two reasons I'd buy the kit over a new stem.

A) I get to ride TODAY

B) I get to learn how to helicoil something PLUS I'll have the kit for future jobs....I'll remind you this is a 5mm application, the most standard in the bike industry, I'm sure I'll find another use for it

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
If you can find a tap, tool, threads, etc. for less than $20 do it, but last time I tried this (granted it was 8mm threads) I spent $50 and it still ended up failing.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
ive seen kits for much less than that under $20.

And yes if done right, the helicoil threads will be stronger than the origional threads
Agreed. I think I paid $20-$25 ea. at Pep Boys for 4mm and 5mm kits. I've used both. Very easy to do and pays for itself when needed. Much faster than trying to scroung up a stem... Both stay in my tool box 24/7 and go to races with me (along with a cordless drill and a small metric tap set). It's not a "one-use" tool. The kit comes with 6 or so inserts for future use.

I heli-coiled a face plate bolt hole on my Control Tech DH stem a couple of years ago and it's been fine ever since through many crashes and h-bar removals.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Originally posted by Metal
Jeff,
Depending on the stem, you could possibly drill it all the way through and run a bolt and a nut in there. I did this once in my super low-budget BMX days and it held up fine. I used to be able to ghetto fix just about anything.
Back in my super mega low budget days that would have already been done. Zip ties, duct tape, a drill and a collection of misc. bolts/nuts is what my tool kit consisted of...hell it still does.

Metal, riding a BCD, Alex is all about function, something you'll appreciate, there is nothing that is threaded on the whole frame, everything is a nut/bolt combo that you can get at any hardware store in America. This I liked a LOT.

Damn, I wish I could get my frame back from Ssaddict...I miss it.

EDIT...I WISH I COULD GET SSaddict's frame back from ssadict...see, i'm having issues letting go.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by neversummersnow
payed 5 bucks for the kit...the lady at ace hooked it up
WTF?!? I have yet to find a decent hardware store anywhere around me, last time I went looking for bearing's, shock bolts, helicoil kits, etc. I've spent half the day driving around explaining to ignorant kids what the hell I'm looking for and then get charged an arm and a leg for it.

Where have all the good little mom and pop hardware stores gone that have stocked everything known to man since the 50's? Those places Rock!

sorry rant over :(

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
FYI, helicoil threads are considered to be stronger than the original. The helicoil insert is made from SS and is larger diameter than the original thread so you get more holding power. Plus, on fasteners that frequently removed/installed, the SS is less likely to wear. On airplane parts, lots of threads are helicoiled to start with so they are less suseptable to stripping. Once you buy the kit, the inserts themselfs are pretty affordable.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Yea, I read on their website the idea behind helicoil. Lots of industries use it as the standard way of threading something just because it doesn't matter what the parent material is. The diameter is another thing like you said, more surface area PLUS the helicoil is supposed to expand/retract like a spring when insterted so its a better then perfect fit...err something like that

I'm going to do all four holes probably....it's a horrible idea to have soft alloy/steel combo when it comes to threading something.

Alex...is this how you can thread carbon or is it too soft for even this application.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Originally posted by ssaddict
WTF?!? I have yet to find a decent hardware store anywhere around me, last time I went looking for bearing's, shock bolts, helicoil kits, etc. I've spent half the day driving around explaining to ignorant kids what the hell I'm looking for and then get charged an arm and a leg for it.

Where have all the good little mom and pop hardware stores gone that have stocked everything known to man since the 50's? Those places Rock!

Ace hardware is by no means a mom and pop store, but close. It has that sort of feel to it anyway. Not some big box type store, but a do everthing hardware store that has everything from hammers to nuts and bolts to gardening equipment

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by ssaddict

I think a good auto part store will carry helicoil.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
We have TrueValue (Ace) down here and they are the best I can find so far. But metric supplies seem to be harder to come by, last time I bought a tap I had to stop at 4 different places and finally ended up finding it at a contractor supply store.