Quantcast

hell froze over...my 29'er

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Just got this baby built up in time for a ride with Don0 and the boys out at bavington tomorrow. I have been making fun of these setups for years so i am ready for a total flame war from all my buds now that i own one but i decided the lack of, bearings, air, oils, fluids and all that junk on my 5" will be a refreshing change for a bit. looking forward to riding the bike and putting it away rather than countless hours of maintenance i do on the trail bike.

i didnt go crazy with some exotic frame, i am going to test the waters and see how the thing rides. I went with a pretty nice component spec so if i decide this is my gig ill save up the bread and get one of these bad boys:

http://www.jonesbikes.com/

cheers

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
wow, those Jones' bikes aren't cheap are they!!! $2450 for a steel ht!!! that's sounds a bit crazy to me but if you have the cash..... almost bought a RL monocog 29er today, but it's between that and a Schwinn Madison. just looking for a cheap bike to do a short commute with.

Last edited:

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Boy I have to tell you I've been tempted by a Jones myself. That guy stole the show at the NAHBS show earlier this year.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah they are $$$ esp if i dont even know if the 29'er will be my gig. I am a dh'er who has always ridden trail bikes for xc this is something new to me...hoping it makes me stronger.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Stick with the Redline. It rides just as good as any Jones at a fraction of the price.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
just walked in the door from a killer pine forest snow ride...:banana:

holy christ i have to say i have never felt that strong on an xc ride, i was keeping up with the pack no problem and leading a bunch of sections that guys with gears were walking...

this bike is so much fun...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
suspect i dont know i really agree with you...im sure the argument has been beat to death on here...

I am a technical east coast trail guy that swore i would never buy one. I love tight technical stuff and ride a bunch of dh and freeride, that said i had a blast on this today

here is my 'other bike' that i do most of my riding on when the dh trails arent running

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Nice MC Flight!

Not sure I buy into the Jones mystique. I love the looks of his bikes, but $5.5K for a frame seems a tad ridiculous. They aren't even being welded by him anymore, right? I can think of a couple other cheaper options that I'd rather have in steel and ti.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Nice MC Flight!

Not sure I buy into the Jones mystique. I love the looks of his bikes, but $5.5K for a frame seems a tad ridiculous. They aren't even being welded by him anymore, right? I can think of a couple other cheaper options that I'd rather have in steel and ti.
He still does custom, but the 'off the shelf' ones are done by Merlin.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Nice ride! I set my Sovereign up with a 29" front and rigid fork (ultimate ironic homage to Endless Cycles...) and loved it. Until the great taco of aught-seven, which caused a really, really painful crash.

Just be careful with those disc-hub 29" wheels, mmkay? Not a lot of flange width + longer spokes + rigid fork + ham-fisted former FS bike trailrider [can]= PAIN.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i do not agree with the jones comments i think they are pure art, i like what the guy has going on...

But im not riding a jones right now, im riding a redline and man did i have a blast on it yesterday it was a first for me on a trail with the following:

singlespeed
29'er
rigid

i couldnt believe how strong i felt

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Just be careful with those disc-hub 29" wheels, mmkay? Not a lot of flange width + longer spokes + rigid fork + ham-fisted former FS bike trailrider [can]= PAIN.
elaborate? You think ill do some damage? I ride pretty light, rode hardtails for about 9 years before moving to an fs as my general useage bike

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I thought I'd be fine too, until my front wheel taco'd and jammed in the fork in front of a small drop-off, catapulting me over. (It was a Salsa rim laced with DT spokes built by Bikeman, so I tend not to think of it as a wheel issue...it was on its second or third ride, and I'd re-checked the spoke tension after the first ride...)

Not saying it will happen to you, just that the wheels are definitely weaker. Are they too weak? I dunno; a lot of people ride them just fine. But they can't be as strong as a 26" of the same build, and the dimished flange width of a disc hub exacerbates this. I think it was BCD, who was trying to build 29" DH bikes, who suggested rim brakes to me in order to make a stonger wheel.

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
By the way, I used those same bars on my trail HT--love 'em.