Quantcast

HELLO from a bike junkie!

Lola

Chimp
May 8, 2008
Small cabin in Alaska
Heya Groovey Dudes!

I'm Lola from Interior Alaska and have been lurking on the site for a while. Just wanted to say "Hey" and show off my rides....I just got a new Kona Scrap that I just love to bits! Will I use it to it's full potential? Nah... but some friends took me on my first "urban assault" and it was a blast! :monkeydance:
I also have my new FSR Stumpjumper with the brain (AWESOME bike) which I recently purchased and put Crank Bro. Egg Beaters on--I shouldn't have since I've only ever used platfroms....now I'm scared to ride it!

I'm also building a bike that will be mostly for snow....I have a Kona Explosif frame to start. It won't be a fat bike but I have snow cat rims and plan to use 2.55 Weirwolves. I love riding the dog mushing trails here in the winter!

I look foward to getting reading more of your posts!

POWER TO THE PEDAL!!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm also building a bike that will be mostly for snow....I have a Kona Explosif frame to start. It won't be a fat bike but I have snow cat rims and plan to use 2.55 Weirwolves. I love riding the dog mushing trails here in the winter!
Welcome! Awesome bikes!

Please post photos and info as you progress on your winter bike. We're no icebike here, but some of us do ride in the snow and would enjoy reading about your build. Like, will you go with an internal geared hub? Last winter, my derailleures froze up so I'm re-thinking my winter bike.

Lola

Chimp
May 8, 2008
Small cabin in Alaska
Welcome! Awesome bikes!

Please post photos and info as you progress on your winter bike. We're no icebike here, but some of us do ride in the snow and would enjoy reading about your build. Like, will you go with an internal geared hub? Last winter, my derailleures froze up so I'm re-thinking my winter bike.
Thanks, LordOpie!
Yeh, I'm still making decisions about all kinds of things and haven't committed. I hear ya about frozen derailers!! I think no matter what set up you have for derailers, at 40 below I consider my bike to be a single speed with no brakes! LOL!

I also work in a bike shop (retail) and the mechs are helping me build it and they have such a wealth of knowledge! I'll post my Progress Photos of the bike....thanks for asking! I'm going to try to keep it under $2,000 so it won't be the cream of the crop bike, but it will be tough. There are many icebikers here, and I actually am planning to race the Susitna 100 miler this Feb...hopefully, I'll be done building my bike by then! Right now, I use a little Hard Rock that is a burley little bike for the money.

I'm starting a blog, too, to track my progress on my build of the snow bike. Should be really interesting! :biggrin:

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Welcome, we need some Alaska representation on this site. Can't wait to see the stuff you ride and do up there.

you must ride in the snow all the time because those bikes are super clean.

Lola

Chimp
May 8, 2008
Small cabin in Alaska
Welcome, we need some Alaska representation on this site. Can't wait to see the stuff you ride and do up there.
Thanks! Yeh, IMHO, ALASKA rocks! I mean, yes, you CAN definitely find better trails in N America (Whistler, North Shore, etc), but I like it... and I'm not Bad Ass like you guys!
you must ride in the snow all the time because those bikes are super clean.
:o: :o:
I'm working on it! :biggrin:

Lola

Chimp
May 8, 2008
Small cabin in Alaska
What kind of shoes are those? I have a set of Crank Bro's Smarty Pedals and need a pair.
Hey Fellow Alaskan!

They're Taho MTB shoes from Specialized (retail 73.00), but I work at a bike shop and get a big discount. :happydance:

Man, I just love Crank Bros. stuff! The egg beaters are pretty neat, and I got a tiny pump--high volume/high pressure--from them. Really good for the size!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
"Well I'm not the world's most physical guy, but...."

Hello Lola.

I am jealous. I have been to every state in the US except Alaska, and that is the one I've wanted to visit the most.

Welcome to Ridemonkey, the most wonderful place on the internet.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
The world's only dual drive full sus singlespeed FTW! (Custom made Phil Wood rear hub)

Edit: Fresh photos, and a reminder to clean her up this weekend (we had a little rain here in the desert today).

Lola

Chimp
May 8, 2008
Small cabin in Alaska
"I am jealous. I have been to every state in the US except Alaska, and that is the one I've wanted to visit the most.

Welcome to Ridemonkey, the most wonderful place on the internet.
Thanks H8R!

Well, Alaska's not going anywhere, so come on up and visit anytime! :biggrin: