Quantcast

Hello from PA

VonYinzer

Chimp
Jan 26, 2010
Beaver PA
Hello. My names Mike and Im a moron. Well not really, just when it comes to bikes. I am SUPER NEW to the whole bicycle deal, as Ive spent most of my adult life working on motorcycles. Well I decided that I wanted to build and ride (or piece together really) a decent and inexpensive road bike. I probobly should just go buy a bike, but Ive never been able to convince myself that anything "off the shelf" is good enough, and Im a bit of a cheap bastard so... Thats why I have different cars (old VW) and motorcycles (71 Honda cb350 cafe racer) torn apart all over the place. I hate stock, and HATE paying a boat load of $$ for something I can build. Anyhow, I know NOTHING about bicycles. Im hoping to learn here. Sorry if I annoy you with idiotic questions. Just ignore me. Thanks for your time. Oh and a pic of the cafe racer for ya. Finishing the motor soon. Will be on the road this spring. I have a ton of work into her so far, and plenty more to do.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hey, just gonna comment on this thread since its in the relevant forum.

If you wanna learn about bicycles and components, check here:

www.sheldonbrown.com

Hands down one of the best general resources on bikes.

And like you, most cyclists don't like to pay for something they can build. But generally, the way the bicycle industry is, you'll actually wind up paying MORE if you build a bike component by component*. I know it sounds crazy and counter-intuitive, but that's the way it is (I've been involved in bikes for over a decade now).

*The exception is if you buy used. You may still need to buy some new components, but they will tend to be more minor bits. There's a pretty strong aftermarket for used bicycle parts. Check out the classifies here.