Quantcast

hello please read this

Chimp
May 25, 2006
boston
hello i am a noob to biking i dont know **** about it, except how to ride.
I've been riding my ****ty 30$ walmart bike for as long as i can remember. It's actually composed of like 4 ****ty walmart bikes because i break stuff often. Anyways i can bike pretty good, i wanted to see how far i could go nonestop so i rode around and did 30 miles on my bike, wich is stuck in 5th gear cuz the little wire broke, has no back breaks, and a backtire wich is slightly to big. So i wanted to ask if there was like some bike racing league or something for noobs cuz i've always wanted to race someone who can actually bike because i've never found anyone that can beat me in a race yet. Thanks for helping me out i know noobs are annoying but we were all noobs at everything except maybe this hobo i know.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Might want to lighten up on the cursing here :)

Have you tried posting in the appropriate Regional forum on this board to see if there are any locals who might want to ride with you? I bet if you buy one of them some beer they'd fix your derailleur cable and such for you, too ;)

That would be a good place to start, to find some local riders. Do you have any local bike shops? You could stop in there and ask about races in the area or riding clubs that may do regular rides.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
imageWIS said:
I have to agree regarding the cursing, but is there any better way to say “****ty walmart bikes”?

Jon.
Just say "Walmart bike". We all know they're sh1tty.

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
I think you guys are being a little too anal with the cursing thing. They're just words, they can't hurt you. They aren't going to steal your bike. Lighten up. Secondly, judging by what this dude/chick just typed I don't think he/she is old enough to buy anyone beer. You're definately going to need a new bike if you want to race.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
fuzzynutz said:
I think you guys are being a little too anal with the cursing thing. They're just words, they can't hurt you. They aren't going to steal your bike. Lighten up. Secondly, judging by what this dude/chick just typed I don't think he/she is old enough to buy anyone beer. You're definately going to need a new bike if you want to race.
I don't care either way, but alot of posts end up as endless streams of "*****************"

It's easier to read without all that.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
fuzzynutz said:
I think you guys are being a little too anal with the cursing thing. They're just words, they can't hurt you. They aren't going to steal your bike. Lighten up.
:rolleyes:

The site bleeps out curse words for a reason. It's a family oriented site. Considering it's the guy's first post, I figure he should know that this is not a site where people curse all the time. Otherwise he's not going to be widely accepted here.

So I made a lighthearted suggestion. No lecturing. I didn't take offense. I wasn't being anal. I suggested he take it easy with the cursing - is that really so unreasonable?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
binary visions said:
:rolleyes:

The site bleeps out curse words for a reason. It's a family oriented site. Considering it's the guy's first post, I figure he should know that this is not a site where people curse all the time. Otherwise he's not going to be widely accepted here.

So I made a lighthearted suggestion. No lecturing. I didn't take offense. I wasn't being anal. I suggested he take it easy with the cursing - is that really so unreasonable?

Dude, shut the **** up.

:D

Chimp
May 25, 2006
boston
There is a schwinn shop close to were i live that im going to check out this weekend. Do you think i can get a good bike for under 300$? I don't know what kind of racing i'd like to do though, its all good :)
What kind of racing do you think would be best for a noob?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
34568 said:
There is a schwinn shop close to were i live that im going to check out this weekend. Do you think i can get a good bike for under 300$? I don't know what kind of racing i'd like to do though, its all good :)
You can get a lot of bike these days for $300. My sister got a Schwinn Mesa GSX for that price and it's perfectly servicable for the price range. Maybe look to a Specialized Rockhopper in that price range?

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
34568 said:
i picked up a gary fisher advance for $325 (end of years model)

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
wow, right away everyone is on his back cursing is bad blah blah..thats my opinion..my friend has a rockhopper and she says she likes it..you might want to try racing like you have beenm if its road, xc, downhill or on a course.,no way a ****ty walmart bike could make it..

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
imageWIS said:
I have to agree regarding the cursing, but is there any better way to say “****ty walmart bikes”?
Might I suggest, ''crappy?''

H8R said:
Just say "Walmart bike". We all know they're sh1tty.
Finally something H8R said that wasn't nasty that I actually liked. Hell I laughed at it.

No wait, I saw his next post. He got mean again. Sorry for the false alarm.

Actually I saw a bike in Walmart the other day that had the shock mounted between the front tire in front of the down tube on a cantilever that I thought was a unique design. Looked heavy though.

I started out on a Toys R Us Pacific 11 years ago. I'm so ashamed.

Hey Ebay has bikes that are nice bikes for cheap too. But ship will take you over $300. A buddy of mine bought a Mongoose I think it was at Dicks for like $300. They got bikes. Diamond Backs etc. Those bikes are fine if you are starting out. Just keep hittin yer parents up for the cash. Put it to them this way, you could get seriously hurt on an inferior bike. If you pester the hell out of them long enough, with the stress of daily life, they'll cave.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
Chunky Munkey is right, if you live with your parents, and show em the stuff you plan on riding, they'll help hook you up..i showed my dad a picture of me hitting a 10 foot drop,and now he insists on buying me all new gear..

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
i would tend to think that to get a bike that you would be able to race with, you would be best off buying used.. in my own ****ty opinion! sorry, i couldn't resist... however, i do agree about the cursing! its just not neccessary! but on the same token, especially "asterisked out", its not really a big deal here and there! but it jsut gets hard to take someone seriously when every other word is a curse word... I tend to cuss a lot and have to remind myself not to, but thats what working in a prison will do to you!

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
Chunky Munkey said:
Might I suggest, ''crappy?''

Finally something H8R said that wasn't nasty that I actually liked. Hell I laughed at it.

No wait, I saw his next post. He got mean again. Sorry for the false alarm.

Actually I saw a bike in Walmart the other day that had the shock mounted between the front tire in front of the down tube on a cantilever that I thought was a unique design. Looked heavy though.

I started out on a Toys R Us Pacific 11 years ago. I'm so ashamed.

Hey Ebay has bikes that are nice bikes for cheap too. But ship will take you over $300. A buddy of mine bought a Mongoose I think it was at Dicks for like $300. They got bikes. Diamond Backs etc. Those bikes are fine if you are starting out. Just keep hittin yer parents up for the cash. Put it to them this way, you could get seriously hurt on an inferior bike. If you pester the hell out of them long enough, with the stress of daily life, they'll cave.
sounds like a canondale to me! :blah:

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
connor123 said:
I would suggest a Hardrock sport its about $300 depending on the dealership. Thats the bike i started off with and it was solid i never had any problems with it. Go on www.specialized.com and find a dealer near you.
thats what i started out on. it is a great bike. it lasted me about a year, till i upgrades. i gave it to a friend who is still running it today.