Quantcast

Helmet/bar light solar chargers....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
So I'm watching the MBA video of the Santa Cruz Solo 27.5, noticed the rider had a helmet light, and appeared to be getting up from a great night hut camping. I got to thinking.......

Is there a solar charger on the market that one could attach to the light and helmet so the battery would be charging while riding? If not, how awkward would it be to have one made that would do the job and not be too uncomfortable while riding? Whether this would be for endurance events or bike trekking, or whether just for a small niche market, it just got my gears turning.

Could this be my way on to Shark Tank???

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
for the amount of juice you'd need to power a decent light, you'd need a solar panel on your entire back.

don't get me wrong, its a great idea, the efficiancy of solar cells just ain't there yet.

i've had the same thought about putting a solar panel into say, a camelback or hiking backpack.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
^^^^That was my thought as well. The new super-bright lights consume a ton of energy, and I can't imagine the size of a solar panel needed to charge it. You might be able to figure something out that would charge the lowest-power commuting lights, but beyond that I don't think it's really feasible.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
for the amount of juice you'd need to power a decent light, you'd need a solar panel on your entire back.

don't get me wrong, its a great idea, the efficiancy of solar cells just ain't there yet.

i've had the same thought about putting a solar panel into say, a camelback or hiking backpack.

Well I'm sure a sufficient solar panel would fit on the back of Dirt McGirk's shorts....oh wait.

(Oh you know he would have laughed at that).

JayBanks

Chimp
Oct 12, 2013
So I'm watching the MBA video of the Santa Cruz Solo 27.5, noticed the rider had a helmet light, and appeared to be getting up from a great night hut camping. I got to thinking.......

Is there
solar panels on the market that one could attach to the light and helmet so the battery would be charging while riding? If not, how awkward would it be to have one made that would do the job and not be too uncomfortable while riding? Whether this would be for endurance events or bike trekking, or whether just for a small niche market, it just got my gears turning.

Could this be my way on to Shark Tank???
I dont think there is any way to do it..But were you able to find the charger? I need one for my bike trekking so please share some useful information

Last edited: