Quantcast

Helmet cams without the dreaded rolling shutter

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
kidwoo: What gives? Any reasonably priced helmet cam offerings out there that don't suffer from CMOS rolling shutter maladies? Are SD CCD bullet-cams the only thing going, and are they even still viable at all?

I did find one setup that got good reviews even from people sensitive to the rolling shutter effect, the V.I.O. POV.HD. It looks absolutely sweet, but simply isn't going to happen for me at its $600 price point…

http://www.vio-pov.com/

Background: I tried a ContourHD 1080 this past month. Worked ok in the car or with little motion in general. Not impressed with detail in general but definitely unimpressed with the quality once the mount starts shaking a little bit (or a lot, as on my motorcycle at low revs). I've been spoiled by still image quality from real cameras and real glass, and now everything looks like crap in comparison.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Year 4 of 6 of post-grad residency/fellowship years. Money isn't rolling in. Sucks that there are no intermediate options.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Year 4 of 6 of post-grad residency/fellowship years. Money isn't rolling in. Sucks that there are no intermediate options.
it does suck there is nothing b/w the GoPro and Contour and the VIO and or Sony.
the VIO does suffer a bit from the rolling shutter but its not nearly on the same level as the other POV cams
you can see some it here on the rotor blades
VIO POV HD on Vimeo

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Since making this thread I also tried out a Veho Muvi. Crap, crap, crap. Back to amazon it went immediately after a few test videos.

It's not a helmet cam, per se, but my next plan is to try out a Panasonic TS4 waterproof point and shoot for my uses. I have RAM mount stuff sufficient to get a 1/4"-20 thread equipped camera mounted on the handlebar of my motorcycle and bicycle so its form factor shouldnt matter, plus it's waterproof, shockproof, and even has purported extra strong image stabilization in video mode... Oh, and it (still) has a CCD sensor, one capable of 1080p video, no less!

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Waterproof-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B00728ZC1A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=292WU1XRYXB6P&coliid=IPNU6DR4S1NQR

(of course, I probably will think it sucks after trying it out, spoiled by my full frame dslr and nice glass. But it's worth a try for the price of swallowing shipping back to amazon if I'm not pleased.)

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
planting a post here to keep apprised of findings, as i just got a gopro HD ($200 shipped w/ 16G card) & at first blush reviewing raw video from friday on the laptop, it did rather nicely from default/factory settings.

now how to find the best compression so i can u/l to vimeo...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
planting a post here to keep apprised of findings, as i just got a gopro HD ($200 shipped w/ 16G card) & at first blush reviewing raw video from friday on the laptop, it did rather nicely from default/factory settings.

now how to find the best compression so i can u/l to vimeo...
It really helps to use vimeo's compression guidelines. I just match those up in my editing software to give me the best results.

https://vimeo.com/help/compression