Quantcast

Helmet Choice

dsmor180

Chimp
Apr 22, 2009
hey guys i posted this already in beginners forum cause i only discovered this sub section today. I usually do mostly cross country/moderate dirt jumping/dh but i only went to diablo for the first time last summer. If i want to ride diablo do i need a dot and snell aproved helmet or are just bicycle helmets ok?

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
You're just required to have ANY bicycle helmet to get on the lift at Diablo, but I think most people would recommend that you wear a fullface helmet, whether it's CPSC, ANSI, Snell or DOT.

They don't check what certification your helmet has, they just make sure you have one, but the terrain out there, as you know from your visit, is pretty challenging. I probably wouldn't ride there without a fullface.

dsmor180

Chimp
Apr 22, 2009
gotcha but i was actually wondering in terms of full face helmets should i get a moto cross helmet or just a snell approved one, moto x is dot approved as well. my main concerns are comfort, breathability, safety, and weight

The303Kid

Monkey
Aug 5, 2007
Bergen County
giro remedy is a great helmet if your not so intrested in dot ive ridden with one since i started riding at diablo and mine actually saved my life, its a great light breathable and very protective helmet

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
One thing that I've read is that a DOT helmet is designed for more high speed crashes. Therefore, in some instances a DOT helmet can be less safe than a bicycle certified one, particularly in the case of low-speed crashes. I think it has to do with the force of impact under which the helmet is designed to crumple. In a low speed crash, the impact might be powerful enough to injure you, but not powerful enough for a harder DOT helmet to crumple properly.

I'm not sure if this is TRUE, mind you. Just something I've read. There have been multiple threads in the MTBR DH/FR forum and the ridemonkey Downhill forum on the topic. Do a quick search there and you'll definitely get some valuable info.

Someone on MTBR did a fullface helmet shootout as well if you're looking for recommendations.

dsmor180

Chimp
Apr 22, 2009
thanks hesh illl definitely use the search then and let you guys know, btw hesh is that just smoke in your av? either way looked pretty trippy ha