Quantcast

Helmet debate

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
As an EMT/ambulance worker, I've seen people who went down with and without helmets. Somehow I've actually treated those who went down with helmets out of want, whereas those without helmet were treated by obligation. If only I were and MD so I could pronounce people dead.

This is the same as the seatbelt thread. Sure, there are a FEW cases where someone was better without a helmet/seatbelt, but overall you're better wearing them.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
^^^ you mean let them get hurt and have us pay for their lifetime medical bills while they sit like a veggie in a hospital. I cant understand why people are so against living, same thing with seatbelts and hunters wearing blaze orange. I see no negatives to doing any of these, but hey yeah it might reduce deaths...lets oppose it because its the American way. (note the heavy sarcasim)

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
DaveW said:
*shrugs* let the stupid people die
Most people who don't have the common sense to protect their head, don't have the common sense to have health insurance. Which means we have to pay for their mistakes...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
That was absurd. First off, has anyone actually ever considered wearing a helmet to be some huge inconvenience? So much talk without the simple fact that means the most: a piece of foam on your head absorbs some impact of a crash. That we know.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
JRogers said:
That was absurd. First off, has anyone actually ever considered wearing a helmet to be some huge inconvenience? So much talk without the simple fact that means the most: a piece of foam on your head absorbs some impact of a crash. That we know.
It's more than that; it's a macho thing. People just want to show off, by showing everyone they aren't scared to crash. I've seen people out riding dirt bikes in the desert without a helmet on. No matter how you cut it, you can't look macho being loaded into a helicopter. Although, a coma is pretty macho...:rolleyes:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i like his misconstrued jumbling of numbers and his laughable faulty reasoning on his thesis.

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/mf.html?1019

i mean there are so many frikkin holes, anyone with a little common sense could tear it apart. Like this easy one...

The movement of a helmet or the irritation to the head that many people experience might also affect balance or concentration at a crucial moment.
That means i better remove my baseball cap when i walk down a flight of stairs for the discomfort may cause me to stumble. Or better yet not wear my hardhat in spite of construction clutter that may fall on my head for the fear of the discomfort causing me to fall into a ditch. Maybe i should shave my head too....

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
honestly, people just dont know how to buy helmets. i see these fools out and about with these giant neon colored bubbles when they could have gotten a decent skate lid that fits and doesnt look stupid for half the price.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A returning customer came into the shop. Her bike was run over by a car, demolished. She come in about 6 months ago when she was commuting more by bike. She had this ancient helmet, and I convinced to get a modern one which fit her better and would not fly off in an accident.

Anyway, she did go down and she said it saved her a lot of pain that she had a good fitting, $30 helmet.