Quantcast

Helmet help...(Warning, bike content!)

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Trying to get my friend out of his old, ratty, beat down crashed up Bell...but he claims its the only one he has ever found that fits his nugget. (Size 7 3/4...).
Who has experience with big head helmets? What brand tends to fit our big headed friends best?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Yeah the Remedy has some odd sizing:
The M is really short front to rear. The width is fine. The L is fine front to rear, but is enormous in width. Theey seem to be made for melonheads :think:.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
A helmet not only needs to fit the circumference of the head, but also the shape. Bells fit my head nicely, but Giros seem short front to back. 661 fit pretty well, too.

If he likes the fit of the Bell, have him get another Bell.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Hehe John trying to save his friend. My buddy was riding a 6 year old truvativ aluminum bar that was so corroded that it was turning to white dust. The corrosion was making HOLES in the bar, and he's jumping the **** out of it. (I think it was 2014, which is known for corrosion)
Finally, I bought a $20 bar on sale and clamped a stem on it to make install marks, then traded him for something. I just couldn't stand it anymore.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I have a fairly fat head (7 1/2 - 7 3/4) and I have a Bell for normal XC riding. As for DH riding I have a 661 full face helmet. It's definitely hard for me to find the right size helmets (I have the same issue with skiing helmets). I just have to go into the stores and try on a bunch of different ones till one feels right.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
full face or XC helmet? my head is sorta big and i use a large Giro Xar and its more then big enough and has plenty of adjustments.

edit: my XL/XXL TLD D2 fits me like a glove too

Last edited:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I have a pretty big head and my M/L TLD D2 fits perfect. And my roommate has an even bigger head and the L/XL D2 Carbon fits him. Even though its about time for him to replace his... I should show him this thread