Quantcast

Helmet mount light

igxqrrl

Chimp
Oct 1, 2005
I have a helmet mount Niterider HID that I use for night-time singletrack rides. The helmet mount has two long velcro straps that appear to be designed to weave in and out of the air vents in some fashion.

In 2 years of use, I've yet to find a comfortable way to mount this thing. My problems are:

1) It's tough to get the mount secure enough that the light won't flop around at least a little.

2) The light seems to need to mount on the front of the helmet, weighing my helmet down quite a bit. After a couple hours of riding, I always wind up with a headache from the weight of the light shifting the helmet around.

Has anyone found a comfortable way to mount these stupid things? Surely I'm just doing something wrong. I broke down and finally bought a handlebar mount, but I prefer the helmet mount, because on steep hills or sharp corners my handlebars usually aren't facing the direction I want to look.

Thanks..

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
igxqrrl said:
I have a helmet mount Niterider HID that I use for night-time singletrack rides. The helmet mount has two long velcro straps that appear to be designed to weave in and out of the air vents in some fashion.

In 2 years of use, I've yet to find a comfortable way to mount this thing. My problems are:

1) It's tough to get the mount secure enough that the light won't flop around at least a little.

2) The light seems to need to mount on the front of the helmet, weighing my helmet down quite a bit. After a couple hours of riding, I always wind up with a headache from the weight of the light shifting the helmet around.

Has anyone found a comfortable way to mount these stupid things? Surely I'm just doing something wrong. I broke down and finally bought a handlebar mount, but I prefer the helmet mount, because on steep hills or sharp corners my handlebars usually aren't facing the direction I want to look.

Thanks..
Older helmets sometimes have fewer vents, which makes the light mounting difficult. Also, newer helmets are much better fitting, considering even the cheap ones have a occipital bone strap (the occipital bone is the back and lower part of your head), so even with a light, the helmet stays on better.

I used to mount mine on the front of the helmet, but recently I have been putting it on the top. It fits fine and the weight is a little more balanced.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Used to have a niterider and am now rocking a lights n motion HID. Depending on your helmet you can usually shorten or replace the extra long velcro straps with some that fit better. I cut the straps off my niterider mount and replaced them with a much shorter loop that simply goes around the single center piece of my helmet. If your lid is split in the middle, you may need something slightly longer. It shouldn't be hard to get it secure enough that it doesn't bounce around - your head is basically suspended by your neck so there shouldn't be much bounce - but you can also use velcro applied directly to your helmet and mount to keep things in place.

As for mounting, it's better to have the light on the front end of your helmet as opposed to directly on top, that way you don't smack or catch the light on every low-hanging branch. It could be that you just need some helmet strap adjustments. The key is to the rear straps tight enough that the helmet doesn't slip forward. Lights are not that heavy and shouldn't give you a headache, but if your helmet is moving around on your head it could be a pain - in more than one area!

One last thing: Depending on your budget you might want to dedicate one helmet for night rides, with a semi-permanent mount installation. I know some people with some pretty trick set ups, they just used an old helmet or used it as an excuse to get a new primary helmet. That way you can be less concerned with how easy it is to get on and off.

igxqrrl

Chimp
Oct 1, 2005
Thanks for the tips guys; my helmet doesn't have much in back to keep it from slipping forward, to maybe that's the problem. I'll look at some of the end of season sales to see if I can pick up a helmet with better fit.

It would, as mentioned, make sense to have a second helmet for night rides anyway. I always wind up wasting 10 minutes futzing with the mount to get it reasonably comfortable.

phuch

Chimp
Oct 5, 2005
cny
you where a helmut? When ridding at knight? This is read Iccullus. Why not buy a matched set for night ridding and be done with it?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have a Niterider and hate the mount. I have found that putting a wedge underneath the back of the mount allows me to mount in closer to the top of my helmet. I cut up an old mousepad, this allows me to preload the straps better and limit the bouncing too. I'm riding in the dark tonight, I'll see if I can take a picture of my set up.