Quantcast

Helmet painting- what do i need to do a proper job!?

Sep 7, 2001
Copenhagen- Denmark!
I'm in the mood for giving my Giro Madmax V.1 an overhaul... it has yet not been in the dirt, and the yellow just plain sucks!

As and old grafitti artist- the job of doing it myself appeals to my creative genes:rolleyes: , so what do i need to do a proper job!?

I've heard a rumour about it's no good to use ordinary [good]spraypaint on a helmet, some "stuff" in this paint- can dissolve the helmets shell, making is "soft".... or is that just a lie?

I'd start with sanding it down- then cleaning it off, and give it a white base with pearl effect, before starting masking all the different layers off, and painting over and over again!

I have thought of using an airbrush, but i cant find some good enough paints- all are waterbased, and will propably be ripped off by the tape i guess....

So what do i need to give it a shot!?... any suggestions are much welcome- Thanks!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I did a custom helmet once, it didn't turn out too great because I have no artistic skill, but I did use a cool method of masking that worked pretty well.

There's this stuff you can get called "Master Mask", it's used for painting RC car bodies. Basically it's a film you airbrush it on the whole helmet, then use an X-acto blade to (very lightly) cut out your design for the first color, then paint. Then you can cut your second color, or Master Mask again, whatever, until you're done. It doesn't hurt the layers that are already painted, and you can mask pretty much any design or shape. Definitely worth looking into :)

Sep 7, 2001
Copenhagen- Denmark!
Aha!- this Master Mask stuff sounds just like what i'm looking for!

I need to fix a way to mask some different layers off, before doing some fade stuff- ala "flags with shades" [look at TLD's stickers- that's what i mean.] and other stuff that looks like it's moving or got some sort of movement...

I can easily do it with a spaycan on a wall- i wonder if it's the same technique on a helmet.... i hope my years of grafitti will help me!

Do you know if "Master Mask" has a website or so.....

Thanks man :thumb:

wirly

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego
My helmet, once a very cool chrome, got pretty nasty but still in fine structural condition so I went down to Home Depot and got a couple of spray cans of "construction grade" paint. I washed the surface, taped off a design and sprayed a few layers on. Wasn't professional but looks pretty good and way better than before. The surface is not a hard as the original and scuffs like anything else, but has not showed any signs of peeling after months. This is a fiberglass full face so I can't say from experience, but I really don't think the paint will affect the skin of a standard foam/shell design helmet.

If I were to do it again I would probably throw a couple clear coats over it but it's my DH helmet so nothing is gunna help it.

Have fun, get creative!

Feb 3, 2002
mile high
my brother has a custom paint shop, mostly graphics on racing vehicles. We did a sick metal-flake fade to black on my snowboard helmet. It was like 15 coats. spray sand spray sand spray sand. I'm gonna bring metal flake back!

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by streetweapon_dh
my brother has a custom paint shop, mostly graphics on racing vehicles. We did a sick metal-flake fade to black on my snowboard helmet. It was like 15 coats. spray sand spray sand spray sand. I'm gonna bring metal flake back!
iono what da hell you are talkin bout man they never left!!!!!