Quantcast

Helmets and the like...

soonershane

Chimp
Apr 29, 2006
Oklahoma
Okay, so I have the bike, I have the "gumption", now I am ready to not hurt myself!! Basically I am fishing for some links and suggestions for a good helmet and clothing. Please no "biker shorts" because we really don't want to see that happen. I am actually looking for some of the baggy cargo shorts because I will be photographing and riding so I could really use the extra pockets. That is photographing AND riding not photographing WHILE riding...which would mean that I would need a MUCH better helmet! Any suggestions and especially links are GREATLY appreciated. Also, if anyone is around the Oklahoma area and knows of any groups that don't mind noobs riding along, I would really appreciate a contact. Thank you all you monkeys!

soonershane

Chimp
Apr 29, 2006
Oklahoma
Mostly hiking trails. I will be spending some time in Colorado coming down a few of the runs there, but I would rather not have a full face helmet.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Just get a Giro helmet. They are all one size fits all nowadays. Get whatever color you want.

Not sure if this makes any real difference but i always get at least one white one for really hot sunny days, since white reflects heat... But really a visor is critical, helps for the rain, and helps sheild the sun like a baseball cap does....

They have biking shorts with chamois (shammy) that are baggy style. The chamois is a pad in the nether regions if you didn't know. Fox is a good company but spendy, but there are many companies that make them now. If you're riding long distances you need to get the chamois period.

A tip for photography. i go riding and take some shots from time to time and i carry a camera bag on the chest strap of my Camelback. It's more comfortable, less apt to get destroyed, and more easily and quickly accessible to take out for a quick shot.

You can see the bag on my chest in this pic....

http://home.comcast.net/~tbanning/BigBuckinSkookumG.jpg

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Look for something like a giro or bell. Different brands have different shapes so something that is comfortable for one person isn't for another. Cooling has more to do with air vents than anything else.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Get yourself to a bike shop and try on a bunch of different helmets, and buy the brand that fits your head. Bell's fit my head, Giro's don't. I personally like the skate type helmet, but I also have the more traditional style helmets.