Quantcast

Helmets and the road bike

J

JRB

So I go out on a road ride with a group last night and see this woman that is always about people's feelings and not dropping blah, blah, blah and notice she is not wearing a helmet. I say, where's your helmet, and she says she forgot it. I say if you are really concerned about impressions, don't do a group ride without a helmet. It's not my business really, but some cyclists are just too hypocritical for me to not comment. Am I really just mad at everyone?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
She wasn't concerned about peoples impressions of her....

she was worried about their feelings of getting dropped. :rolleyes:

I feal naked when I go out for bum around on my bike without a helmet. I did forget it once and spen the whole time watching other people doing stuff....'cause we know I have been known to crash from time to time. :rolleyes: :D

J

JRB

RhinofromWA said:
She wasn't concerned about peoples impressions of her....

she was worried about their feelings of getting dropped. :rolleyes:

I feal naked when I go out for bum around on my bike without a helmet. I did forget it once and spen the whole time watching other people doing stuff....'cause we know I have been known to crash from time to time. :rolleyes: :D

The point is, don't try to be a leader and then do a half ass job of it.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I totally forgot my helmet one day when I was riding to work. I was like halfway here before I realized it. I've never been so paranoid about wrecking, not to mention being scared of getting seen by someone who I had preached to about wearing helmets :D

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Echo said:
I totally forgot my helmet one day when I was riding to work. I was like halfway here before I realized it. I've never been so paranoid about wrecking, not to mention being scared of getting seen by someone who I had preached to about wearing helmets :D
Yep I felt like an arse, and thought everyone was staring at me. :D

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
heck, i even wear a helmet taking the bikes for a test ride after working on them. and that's just around the appt complex.

hijack: went for a roadie ride yesterday with a spankin new giro atmos. damn fine brain bucket!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
loco-gringo said:
The point is, don't try to be a leader and then do a half ass job of it.
Do yo not like this lady in general? She screwed up. Yes it does not shine favorably on the leader not wearing a helmet. It is one thing to forget it and another to leave it at home 'cause you don't need it.

I am sure we have all done it in our life times....forgot something while loading up to go some where. I guess she could just call the ride off... and leave everyone stranded there to reform.

I bet she remembers her helmet next time. :D

:think: a leader doing a half ass job of something....sounds like everything in life to me. ;) :)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Personally, I'd be more worried about getting an earful from the wife than caring about what a bunch of roadies think.

MBC when I forget protective gear -----> :mumble:

J

JRB

RhinofromWA said:
Do yo not like this lady in general? She screwed up. Yes it does not shine favorably on the leader not wearing a helmet. It is one thing to forget it and another to leave it at home 'cause you don't need it.

I am sure we have all done it in our life times....forgot something while loading up to go some where. I guess she could just call the ride off... and leave everyone stranded there to reform.

I bet she remembers her helmet next time. :D

:think: a leader doing a half ass job of something....sounds like everything in life to me. ;) :)

I do like her, but the guy that she rides with won't wear one much. I think she is doing it to be cool. She is like that. I say it is lame for either one to try to teach peeps but do dumb crap like that.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
loco-gringo said:
I do like her, but the guy that she rides with won't wear one much. I think she is doing it to be cool. She is like that. I say it is lame for either one to try to teach peeps but do dumb crap like that.
That is lame.

Just sounded like you were ripping on a group leader that forgot their helmet....that stuff happens but if it is by choice that is pretty lame.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
loco-gringo said:
But it is cool. Just look at all those Frenchies who do it...............

-S.S.-