Quantcast

Helmets for everyone, no exceptions

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
While it is usually fools and newbs who roll around helmets, one of my friends will ride around without a lid.

He is one of the most skilled riders I know, 5 time Motorcycle Trials champion. He rides road, mountain, sport bikes, mx; all of it well.

But he will go alot of bicycles rides without a helmet.

So of course, he was tooling on his sh*tbike, on the sidewalk going the wrong way, when a truck pulls out and smacks into him.

My friend lost some skin, trashed his wheels, but luckily no head contact. And he was not wearing a helmet.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
what i always chuckle at is the family of riders, all the kids wearing helmets and their parents not. i think to myself, i guess the kids will support the family after your head injury.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My wife will never fully get it either. She quit smoking because of the message it sent and yet still wont wear a lid unless i bring it up.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I don't understand the "no exceptions"- do you support a mandatory law requiring everyone who rides a bike to wear a helmet?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I don't understand the "no exceptions"- do you support a mandatory law requiring everyone who rides a bike to wear a helmet?
I agree with it until a law comes along and assigns 100% of the liability to the participant and their family. Until then people don't have a right to rip-off society for not wearing a seat belt, helmet, etc...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Did he at least fight the driver?
The drive did offer to buy new wheels. My buddy and I were talking about getting a cherry disc wheelset, DT240's/4.1d's for his ti hardtail, and I told him to get this driver to buy it.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
This whole safety patrol thing makes me laugh.

What about fast food eaters, people who drink too much, working under fluorescent lights, etc.

I once again ask: Since the main cause of death or serious injury on a bike is a head injury and also the same in driving a car, why is no one pushing for wearing helmets while driving???!!!

:patsak:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I don't always feel the need to wear a helmet if I'm not on a mountain, but always get sh1t if I stop at the LBS in that condition.

If my legs and spine are going to be crushed, take the skull as well.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
The comparison between cars in bikes in this case doesn't really make sense.

It is very possible to have a low speed crash while riding and crack your skull and result in some brain damage.

A low speed crash in a car probably won't end up the same way.

I always wear a helmet when I ride because I can't afford any more head injuries.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
The comparison between cars in bikes in this case doesn't really make sense.
It makes perfect sense if someone is looking out for the safety of my skull. Why in only certain situations?

Edit: If you're in a car, you're not at low speed most of the time...

Last edited:

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
Good buddy of mine, just now getting back into riding was injured in the fine tradition of "parking lot" accidents.

You know the ones. After a long ride, back at the lot, wheeling around and BAM! Off to the hospital.

My buddy had just gotten back from a safe trip back from 27 riding on his transition. Had a good trip and rode a ton of dangerous stuff, with his helmet. Buddy got back to his place. Rode around a little to check the tune. Road off a little cement drop, in the sidewalk / parking transition, rear tire hung up and tossed him face-first into the pavement.

His neighbor found him passed out in a pool of blood. Now, buddy is Canadian, therefore he has made a full recovery. He did, however, loose out on further sponsorship with a local bike company and a couple of years of riding.

Yeah San, I second your recommendation. Wear your helmet.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
It makes perfect sense if someone is looking out for the safety of my skull. Why in only certain situations?

Edit: If you're in a car, you're not at low speed most of the time...
Wow, you must have some very courteous, alert drivers in Phoenix.

Why is so important for you to not wear a helmet ?

Why wear all your riding gear and no helmet ?

Do what you want dude, I don't really care one way or the other. But for me, I don't need any more problems, especially if I can prevent it from happening.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
The same LBS that sends people out on test rides in a busy parking lot at a major intersection here in Phoenix never insists on potential customers wearing helmets. Only after the bike sale they give them 10% off a helmet...

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
The same LBS that sends people out on test rides in a busy parking lot at a major intersection here in Phoenix never insists on potential customers wearing helmets. Only after the bike sale they give them 10% off a helmet...

Uhhh, OK, not sure how that is relevant.

I'm headed home now. I think I might strap on the full face for the drive.

Later.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Wow, you must have some very courteous, alert drivers in Phoenix.
No, but I ride aggressively and make sure drivers see me.

Why is so important for you to not wear a helmet ?
It's not, but it's my choice.

Why wear all your riding gear and no helmet ?
I never said that. I wear padded shorts for obvious reasons and a jersey to keep cool in the heat. If I'm going 2 blocks to the grocery store I wear whatever I happen to be wearing.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I don't quite see what being a Canadian had to do with him making a full recovery. Canadians are Tougher ? harder heads ? Don't have any Brains to damage ? Softer ground ? Please Clarify
They get to full recovery faster eh you hoser.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I hope he wears a helmet now. Maybe it's me trying to set a good example for my daughter (or the fact that she'll yell at me if I don't have it on), but I pretty much always wear a helmet. I hesitate to say always, because I am sure I forget when she's not home or with me, but I am getting better because I want to see her grow up and I value my gray matter.

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
I don't quite see what being a Canadian had to do with him making a full recovery. Canadians are Tougher ? harder heads ? Don't have any Brains to damage ? Softer ground ? Please Clarify
They Just kick ass, in general. It was mostly a joke, except its true that Canadian's kick ass and just about every sport they do. Healing is no exception (at least when speaking humourously about it.)

My Canadian friend now works with me and is quite smart despite the accident.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I agree with SB on this one. If you don't want to wear one then don't.

With that being said, I always wear one & if you are not & I see you brains spilled on the sidewalk just know that I am not going to stop to help.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I wear a helmet every time i'm on one of my bikes. I just don't feel safe without it.

Someone please tell me where this bike shop is that doesn't require a person wearing a helmet to test ride a bike. I want to go out there and fall over and tap my head on the curb so i can sue them for NOT making me wear one. Then i can quit working for a little while. Working sucks.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
It was probably something Bender said. I remember him saying that in one of those old skool vids where he was hucking to flat. Probably right before he knocked himself out at Deer Valley.