Quantcast

Helmets

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Driving home today i saw a kid hunched over on the fence off of 1st Ave. A couple had pulled over and looked like they were assisting alright, but since it was next to my house and it was a rider i thought i'd stop anyways. i pulled in the John Knox church parking lot right below the kid, just as the EMT's from the fire department arrived, so everything was cool. All the same his baseball cap was on the other side of the fence so i ran up the hill and threw it next to his bike and a puddle of blood. He was out of it so i think he hit his head really hard.

i don't know the situation, how he crashed or what, but i hope the kids alright. And it just got me to thinking about helmets. People on the top gotta be aware that skid lids might not be totally necessary for them, but for the kids that look up to em....

i don't want this to be a debate thread, it's just something i saw today that got me to thinkin is all....

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
Skookum said:
Driving home today i saw a kid hunched over on the fence off of 1st Ave. A couple had pulled over and looked like they were assisting alright, but since it was next to my house and it was a rider i thought i'd stop anyways. i pulled in the John Knox church parking lot right below the kid, just as the EMT's from the fire department arrived, so everything was cool. All the same his baseball cap was on the other side of the fence so i ran up the hill and threw it next to his bike and a puddle of blood. He was out of it so i think he hit his head really hard.

i don't know the situation, how he crashed or what, but i hope the kids alright. And it just got me to thinking about helmets. People on the top gotta be aware that skid lids might not be totally necessary for them, but for the kids that look up to em....

i don't want this to be a debate thread, it's just something i saw today that got me to thinkin is all....

Its stuff like this that makes me wonder why people think they are "too cool for a helmet............I for one had one save my life when i was younger so i never ride without one!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i just drove by the area again and there is a huge indent in the chain link fence where the kid crashed. He hit into it pretty damn hard, maybe a car got him.

But it's hard to get the picture out of my head, the guy was laying on the fence in a really ackward position not moving just looking really out of it.

Just a bad deal...

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
my xen saved my life at sst it then cracked... But still a concussion is better then death...

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
I know my face and my life have been saved on several occasions because of wearing a helmet. I don't understand why so many people don't wear them. it just seems stupid to me to not.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Skookum said:
People on the top gotta be aware that skid lids might not be totally necessary for them, but for the kids that look up to em....
I could never understand seeing the "family" all riding their bikes along, kids wearing helmets and Mom and Dad are not. They should be setting a better example!:mumble:

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
I heartily use and endorse helmets, particularly since many of the crashes I have had where I have hit my head were in situations where I didn't see it coming and had no time to react (street, commuting, times when an expert rider would think they are in little or no danger).

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
I wear a helmet for mountain biking, but not when I commute to work on the Burke Gilman (and only the Burke Gilman, no streets, not even sidewalks).

I only cross a couple streets, so the danger is equivalent to a pedestrian, and you don't see them with helmets.

Sometimes a roadie will give me a look of distain, but it could be my V-tach they don't approve of on their precious trail.

I can't pedal my 45lber faster than 15mph anyway...

Jun 18, 2004
cove rider said:
Its stuff like this that makes me wonder why people think they are "too cool for a helmet............
I might look cool in this... or not...

either way it's DOT/Snell rated and it's in the mail...

I crash too much to not wear a Dot Mx helmet...

I hope the crash victim survived and can walk n talk

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
DBR X6 RIDER said:
Wow, that dude almost tore that fence a new one. From the looks of it, he's damn lucky he didn't tag one of those fenceposts.:eek:
i am curious if he hit the fence post if it too would have bent over??? Then he would have been really movin!

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
cove rider said:
i am curious if he hit the fence post if it too would have bent over??? Then he would have been really movin!
Judging by the indent on the fence itself, I would guess he would have been down something fierce had he hit a post. Those posts aren't nearly as forgiving as the wire sections.

Hope the guy came out of if ok.

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
DBR X6 RIDER said:
Judging by the indent on the fence itself, I would guess he would have been down something fierce had he hit a post. Those posts aren't nearly as forgiving as the wire sections.

Hope the guy came out of if ok.
True those posts are pretty solid!

Ya i too hope the guy is okay!