Quantcast

Helmets?

Oct 23, 2009
Hillsboro
I broke my helmet last week and now looking for another one. I've always ridden in high end moto helmets, because I've worked in that industry for years, even while DH or FR'ing. So I started looking at bike helmets online the other night and they just don't seem as well built or "tough" as a moto helmet.

What recommendations do you have for high end full faced helmets? I'll probably go back with an Arai or Shoei, but would not mind hearing some feedback on DH or FR inspired helmets. Obviously, I wouldn't mind something lighter and better ventilation at slow speeds, but I'm really torn about moving away from high end head protection....which by the way saved my noggin from being destroyed from a very big rock this weekend.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
alot of the DH helmets like se and such from troy lee are DOT as well as rock gardn etc... Arai and Shoei are nice.
Theres not much difference aside of weight and ratings just find one that fits well and if its DOT snell it will keep the brains where they belong.

Rockgarden
Troy lee
Fox etc just find one and the more ratings the better protection.

I rode a Arai sinister when i had my GSXR 1000 last year and love there products but theres alot of good stuff out there.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the issue with most helmets, moto or otherwise, is not how much of an impact they can withstand, but how they are tested. They are allowed to free fall, straight down. I can't think of any instance where that has ever happened to me in a crash (falling straight down), except, maybe once or twice while riding trials. Normally I'm moving forward as I fall (chances are you fall this way as well). There's a company working to address this: http://www.mipshelmet.se/ Helmets are designed and testing to withstand impacts at oblique angles, which is a better evaluation based on how people actually fall.

Currently the only MTB/dh helmet designed for this are the POC dh helmets. Hopefully some more companies will get on board with it soon.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
Fox has a line for bike helmets now too, the Rampage. Great protection, experienced mfgr, just lighter weight with better ventilation and visibility. Don't know if it's DOT snell tho.
My last helmet was an Azo mx helmet, it liked it but it was so bulky and heavy.