Quantcast

Helmuts. Yes or No?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
Okay I have been on here a short while but I've been on a lot of other sites. So far I see most people wear helmuts and on serious jump shots, I see better helmuts and pads. However on this site I see a lot of the pics of guys jumping huge airs on dirt AND on concrete with NO helmut and NO arm pads or knee pads.

Is it a macho thing or to be cool? The reason I ask is I have been wearing a helmut for 11 years. I've hit trees, I've hit other riders, I've endoed, I've crashed on the road with a motorcycle and in the dirt and I'm still here all because of my helmut. And about four years ago, I was driving my car past the local shopping plaza on a Friday night and saw the State Police MediVac Hellicopter landing on the parking lot. I also saw three young boys in their teens and one with people all around him. There is a HELMUT law wear I live for all kids under the age of 18. When I stopped to ask if the kid laying on the lot was hit by a car in the lot, one of the kids buddies spoke up and said, "No, he was riding a wheelie and all of a sudden he just went over backwards and hit his head on the pavement." I asked if he was wearing a helmut and the kid said no. The other three were smart enough to be wearing theirs though.

He was unconcious and not responding to the medical EMT's on the scene prepping him for the MediVac chopper ride to the hospital.

I thought to myself, all the kid had to have on was a helmut and he would have got back on his bike. His parents were there on the scene after being called and I spoke to an EMT and the person said to me, "It doesn't look good. He may not come out of it. He's not responding. If he does come out of it, he may be brain damaged."

It appeared he was in a coma. I went away thinking, 15 years old, his whole life ahead of him, proms, driving his first car, eventually getting laid, and his whole life hangs in the balance all due to not wearing a helmut.

In this day of seeing guys on Snowboards wearing helmuts and myself a skier don't, although I don't like the way my stupid design Giro makes me look, I still wear my helmut. So the question is.

Do you wear a helmut? If not, why not and is it worth the risk not to?

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Helmets almost always when biking. The only exception is when it is very hot out and I am just riding across town.

I basically will not snowboard without a helmet. I have hit my head HARD a lot of times on snow and I'm sure I would be a whole lot worse off right now if I had not been wearing one.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I'd say most people on this site are helmet nazis. If I'm riding up a fire-road, I will put my fullface on my handlebars or backpack, mainly because I won't need it. But if I'm going down, the helmet is on, along with the required pads.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Odd that. I must not be paying attention as of late. Usually if a helmetless pic is posted, it is followed by three pages of lecturing. Often , a poster will apologize up front before even posting the pic. Where for art these lidless lumbars?

oh yeah, yes to helmets.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
There are rare occasions when I ride without a helmet but these are only if:

I am going to cruise (and I mean slow)
I am not going to ride in traffic
I am not going to do any jumping/attempt any stunts (jumping without a lid is asking for trouble)
I am not going to ride and tricky technical trails (cos that's when I go over the bars)

I'll admit that there is a still a small risk of falling off but it's minimal and the speed/kind of crash would be minor. Plus I can't get much uglier/more stoopid.

Snowboarding on the other hand, I always wear a helmet - concussion whilst trying to get off the top of a 3000m mountain in a blizzard was not funny.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I used to be wishy-washy about helmets... Always on a trail ride, but I'd run to the store or around town without one.

Then I went out one day without it to go to the store. Got halfway there, realized I forgot my wallet, turned around and went back. Grabbed my wallet, and my helmet was right there so I grabbed it, too. On the way back to the store I hit something-or-other (rock, stick, something) while avoiding a speeding car, nailed a curb, endoed, and hit the middle of my head squarely on the 90 degree angle of the sidewalk curb. Ruined my helmet. Potentially could have ruined my life.

Now I always wear a helmet.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
kinghami3 said:
I'd say most people on this site are helmet nazis.
Word. People who post pics in which the rider isn't wearing a helmet usually catch a lot of crap around here. It still doesn't make a difference because some people would rather look cool in photos than protect their noggin.

I always wear a helmet when I ride. It's just a part of my clothing and I feel weird and uncomfortable without one on. I have had the enjoyment of breaking three helmets in the last few years as a result of landing on my head. Better the helmet than my skull.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Chunky Munkey said:
. And about four years ago, I was driving my car past the local shopping plaza on a Friday night and saw the State Police MediVac Hellicopter landing on the parking lot. I also saw three young boys in their teens and one with people all around him. There is a HELMUT law wear I live for all kids under the age of 18. When I stopped to ask if the kid laying on the lot was hit by a car in the lot, one of the kids buddies spoke up and said, "No, he was riding a wheelie and all of a sudden he just went over backwards and hit his head on the pavement." I asked if he was wearing a helmut and the kid said no. The other three were smart enough to be wearing theirs though.

He was unconcious and not responding to the medical EMT's on the scene prepping him for the MediVac chopper ride to the hospital.

I thought to myself, all the kid had to have on was a helmut and he would have got back on his bike. His parents were there on the scene after being called and I spoke to an EMT and the person said to me, "It doesn't look good. He may not come out of it. He's not responding. If he does come out of it, he may be brain damaged."

It appeared he was in a coma. I went away thinking, 15 years old, his whole life ahead of him, proms, driving his first car, eventually getting laid, and his whole life hangs in the balance all due to not wearing a helmut.

Do you wear a helmut? If not, why not and is it worth the risk not to?
yes, i most always wear one.

A friend of mine witnessed a similar scene one day.
no helmet guy fooling around on a crotch rocket.
too much wrist and threw him on his skull breaking it
to mush.

heck yeah i wear a helmet and i sold my MOTO!

EDIT: always

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
bcd said:
yes, i most alway wear one.

A friend of mine witnessed a similar scene one day.
no helmet guy fooling around on a crotch rocket.
too much wrist and threw him on his skull breaking it
to mush.

heck yeah i wear a helmet and i sold my MOTO!

and in the Amazing Race video.... doing jumps..... you were wearing what????

:clue:

and don't tell me shorts and a T-shirt.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
When I am trail riding, I wear one. But if I am just rolling around on the streets I skip it, unless I plan on a little urban assault. I figure that rolling around town I have just as much chance of getting hit by a car or falling or whatever than if I were just out walking.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
MudGrrl said:
and in the Amazing Race video.... doing jumps..... you were wearing what????

:clue:

and don't tell me shorts and a T-shirt.
bcd said:
yes, i most always wear one.
if I'm am being cool for a application video for amazing race
jumping in a line i have done 500X that i made by myself with a shovel, ...............then i don't.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Funny you should ask this question. I feel like people should always wear a lid. However if I'm taking a test ride around the hood I don't wear one.

Kids should always have a helmet on, and parents that let their kids ride without a helmet should be kicked in the ass.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i usually don't put mine on when tooling around the streets of the neighborhood, but after seeing that mtbr thread, and thinking about setting an example for the kids (who always have their helmets on if they are riding their bikes or scooters), i think should as well.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I always wear a helmet when skatepark riding, trail riding, road riding, etc.

However when I am riding along the bike path to work, I usually don't wear one.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
johnbryanpeters said:
I wear one. I got convinced by suffering a serious head injury and hospitalization. By the way, .:Jeenyus:. and kinghami3, I was just riding around town, not fast, when I lost the front wheel due to a mechanical defect.
Imagine that you're on a 45 lb rig, on a hot and dusty day, going up a gravel fire-road with about 1000 ft in elevation to go, probably going about 5-7 mph. Hell, half the time you're walking. That's when I don't wear a helmet. I see your point though.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Tenchiro said:
When I am trail riding, I wear one. But if I am just rolling around on the streets I skip it, unless I plan on a little urban assault. I figure that rolling around town I have just as much chance of getting hit by a car or falling or whatever than if I were just out walking.
That makes no sense at all.

I have ridden and raced mountain bikes for 18 years and have never had a serious injury off road. Last fall I landed on my head and broke my wrist riding down to the store. Good thing I had my helmet on.

A friend of mine is a surgical assistant to a neurosurgeon. He get's to see those "just as much of a chance" peeps on a daily basis. A lot of them will never fully recover.

But hey, if drooling and ****ting yourself is your thing, then by all means.....

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
BeerDemon said:
But hey, if drooling and ****ting yourself is your thing, then by all means.....
You never know, that may appeal to a large portion of the population here. ;)

Frankly, I never ride ANYWHERE, ANY TIME without a helmet on. There's way too much to lose for just a few moments of inconvenience.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
BeerDemon said:

I have ridden and raced mountain bikes for 18 years and have never had a serious injury off road. Last fall I landed on my head and broke my wrist riding down to the store. Good thing I had my helmet on.

A friend of mine is a surgical assistant to a neurosurgeon. He get's to see those "just as much of a chance" peeps on a daily basis. A lot of them will never fully recover.

I highly doubt that cruising down a sidewalk or bike path at walking or jogging speed will result in any kind of serious crash. At least no more serious than if I were to fall while walking or joging, and I certainly wouldn't wear a helmet when out for a run.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Tenchiro said:
I highly doubt that cruising down a sidewalk or bike path at walking or jogging speed will result in any kind of serious crash.
See my post above. You never know when a dog/kid/car is going to be out of control.

At least no more serious than if I were to fall while walking or joging, and I certainly wouldn't wear a helmet when out for a run.
Falling when you're on a bike is a bit different from falling when you're on your feet. You have far less control over the crash.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Tenchiro said:
At least no more serious than if I were to fall while walking or joging
Dude, your a technical guy. You must know better. Where are you coming up with this stuff?

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Seriously I can't remember the last time I fell off a bike when not riding aggressively. I have been on bikes since I was 4 years old, and am very comfortable. So when I am just rolling around the neighborhood I don't sweat it.

When riding aggressively or off road I do wear one though.

EDIT -- If I were to ride in traffic (which I don't) I would also wear one.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BeerDemon said:

I have ridden and raced mountain bikes for 18 years and have never had a serious injury off road.
3 concussions, 2 broken collarbones, severly broken wrist, destroyed knee, broken ankle, 4 broken ribs, many dislocated and broken fingers. All from riding/racing off road.

A little road rash from laying down my road bike in a crit.

Status
Not open for further replies.