Helmuts. Yes or No?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
moff_quigley said:
This guy choose not to wear a helmet during a ride around the block with his dog...
Isn't it obvious that the dog made the difference? If you're a competent rider, riding slowly and paying attention then there is no way on god's earth that you should fall off. You've more chance of being hit by a meteorite.

No dog, car, alien landing should take you by surprise unless you are simply not paying attention.

Plus which if you get hit by a car walking it'll do just as much damage, would you advocate helmet wearing then?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
my buddy who is an accomplished pro xc racer went huckin off of a curb last summer, when he came down he rolled his front tire. Broke his collarbone and knocked himself out. His helmet saved him from a serious head injury. There is not a person on this board as skilled or as accomplished as him. MrBustauarse is always planning a sneak attack he just needs the proper moment to execute.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
The Toninator said:
my buddy who is an accomplished pro xc racer went huckin off of a curb last summer, when he came down he rolled his front tire. Broke his collarbone and knocked himself out. His helmet saved him from a serious head injury. There is not a person on this board as skilled or as accomplished as him. MrBustauarse is always planning a sneak attack he just needs the proper moment to execute.
Erm, you say your buddy screwed up hucking off a curb and no one here is as skilled as him? You sure?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
The Toninator said:
tire went flat. national champion. podium world cyclocross.
happens.
Went flat mid-huck? Or was it already flat and he wasn't paying attention (see earlier comment).

The thing is if you're gonna huck, even off a curb, you gotta check your **** is in order. I've yet to see an accident that really could not have been avoided, on bicycle, car or motorbike (not that I'd ever condone a motorcycle without a helmet).

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
fluff said:
I'm not sure what your point is. Do you not feel that you could go for a ride and not fall off?
Apparently, you haven't seen my latest video.

In other words, no. I fall off my bike all the time.

Funkin censored $h!t. even in a URL?!?!?

it is http://refre$h!t.net/Refre$h!t/fallin_off_a_log.WMV

or try this link

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
The Toninator said:
what's the straw for?

dinner! hahahah i'm sick.
no really whats it for?
Dunno why but this one made me laugh more than any other post today.. I could just hear your tone of voice somehow.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
The Toninator said:
my buddy who is an accomplished pro xc racer went huckin off of a curb last summer, when he came down he rolled his front tire. Broke his collarbone and knocked himself out. His helmet saved him from a serious head injury. There is not a person on this board as skilled or as accomplished as him.

i beg to differ

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
fluff said:
I'll check that later. But you've hit the nail on the head - personal choice and risk assessment.
As have you, sir. I totally believe in personal choice, and if you won't wear a lid, that is indeed your choice.

Simply recoginize that a risk exists whenever you ride, and it is not entirely within your control.

A meteor could fall from the sky and knock you off your bike. No amount of skill or awareness could prevent a fall in this scenario, but you would still be better off with a helmet than without.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
fluff said:
Went flat mid-huck? Or was it already flat and he wasn't paying attention (see earlier comment).

The thing is if you're gonna huck, even off a curb, you gotta check your **** is in order. I've yet to see an accident that really could not have been avoided, on bicycle, car or motorbike (not that I'd ever condone a motorcycle without a helmet).
i'm sure he checked his gear before he left the house. point being ya just never know. but hay do whatcya do, ya know.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
blue said:
I wear my fullface 24/7, at work, on bike, in car, to the store...keeps me nice and intact.
:rofl:

That being said...I seem to crash on the easy stuff lately :rolleyes: Guess I need to pay more attention to everything I ride rather than just the hard stuff.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
The Toninator said:
what's the straw for?
dinner! hahahah i'm sick.
no really whats it for?
HA! My sister got poked under the armpit with some steel concrete reinforcement when she was a kid. The Dr's put the same kind of tube in her pit. It was to drain out the fluid build up under the wound. I would guess this guy's does much the same thing. It looks like he peeled his face off so I imagine that a lot of tissue was exposed to the elements, dirt, road grime etc.

Fluff's right...the guy looked back to see what was holding his pooch up and he wrecked. Darn dogs.

I grew up racing BMX. You weren't allowed on the track without a helmet. I then did the whole "freestyle" BMX thing in the mid to late 80's. We never wore helmets. Crap, shin guards were unfashionable back then.

When I first started MTBing I didn't have a helmet. Shop guy convinced me to buy one. Inaugural ride with the helmet I hit my helmet on a rock. :shrugs: I haven't ridden offroad helmetless since.

Most of the guys I ride with don't wear their helmets correctly anyway. Most of them have the straps loose...kinda like hockey players wear theirs.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
fluff said:
If you're a competent rider, riding slowly and paying attention then there is no way on god's earth that you should fall off. You've more chance of being hit by a meteorite.
Everyone thinks that until it happens. It's impossible to predict the circumstances that will lead you from mundane daily activity to serious injury. You think I had any idea my casual ride to the store would put me in the ER? Luckily, I took basic precautions (helmet) and I am happy to report I am posting this diaper free.

J

JRB

I did a road ride once. I rode helmetless to change in a bathroom. On the way back, my shorts that were wrapped around the bars came unwound and went between the fork and the tire. I flipped over the bars and busted my head open. Blood everywhere. I did get to use the super hot paramedic on site, but given the chance, I'd not do it again. I try to wear a helmet at all times.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
loco said:
I did a road ride once. I rode helmetless to change in a bathroom. On the way back, my shorts that were wrapped around the bars came unwound and went between the fork and the tire. I flipped over the bars and busted my head open. Blood everywhere. I did get to use the super hot paramedic on site, but given the chance, I'd not do it again. I try to wear a helmet at all times.
Dude I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but I have to say that picturing you flipping over the bars with your tighty whities jammed in your front wheel made me :rofl:

J

JRB

Echo said:
Dude I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but I have to say that picturing you flipping over the bars with your tighty whities jammed in your front wheel made me :rofl:
OK - in my defense, I had already changed and it was the cycling shorts that crashed me. After my head quit throbbing it was funny. I get a pretty good chuckle out of it, but it's a good reminder about the noggin. :ouch:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
always a helmet on this head. i am also a helmet nazi. i dont care if it is your shoice or not, i wont ride with you if you aint wearing a lid. You make the choice not to then fall while riding with me and crack your skull open then suddenly your brains pouring out all over the place is my problem and in all honesty i dont want to deal with that.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
biggins said:
always a helmet on this head. i am also a helmet nazi. i dont care if it is your shoice or not, i wont ride with you if you aint wearing a lid. You make the choice not to then fall while riding with me and crack your skull open then suddenly your brains pouring out all over the place is my problem and in all honesty i dont want to deal with that.
:stupid:

I don't like the idea of trying to hold somone's head together while waiting for the Paramedics.
I don't really car if you wear a helmet when not riding with me, but if you crash and screww yourself up. My tax dollars better not be paying for your recovery in any way.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Sometimes I don't ride around the block for a pizza with a helmet on. But I always bring a dictionary, just in case.

MD

PS Did you know "Kohl" is a kind of cabbage?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
biggins said:

Agreement from me on this one, come to a ride with me without a Helmet, i wont ride with ya, just not worth the risk

Status
Not open for further replies.