Quantcast

Help a Newb decide what to buy

Sep 29, 2006
Hi all. I have a mountain bike, but while biking recently, I saw some little jumps and I've been fiending to jump off of them ever since. So I'm looking at getting a used bmx and a helmet.

HELMET: Like a good netizen, searched for helmet in the beginners forum and found that someone said "I would recommend a $30 Bell or Giro." However, that was in a mountain-biking context - can you get a low-end helmet if you're doing some dirt jumping?
Any low-cost specific model suggestions?
I ride a motorcycle so I know the importance of wearing gear...

BIKE: I'm looking at a used Redline Proline, Schwinn Pro-Stock, GT Interceptor... any reccomendations for solid dirt jumpers to look for used? I'd like to spend less than $130, as I'm just getting into this.

Helping newbs = good karma. Thanks all.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
i believe its spelled noob. god! stupid noob. haha just kidding.
helmet wise, just go to your local bike shop and look at the helmets that look cool and fit you well. because they will all protect you well. and i have no idea what bmx to get, i jump on a mountain bike

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
30-40 dollar skating lid is great for BMXing.. most bike shops have them. like birdman, i mountain bike, so i wouldnt know either

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
If you're gonna be doing dirt jumping go for a Haro or Eastern BMX because i have a GT Intercepter from like 2002 and it's pretty much a full on bmx race bike and won't take a whole lot of abuse.