Quantcast

Help an XC racer choose CrossTraining bike

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Need some help with a selection here...

I cross trained for the XC race season with a bit of road last year and had some success with it. This year I want to ramp that up to about twice as much.

My current bike is an old Cannondale from 1998. It's okay for 150is miles a week, but I want to nearly double that so I'd like something a little better, that rides smooth and handles well enough to flow with groups when I find myself in them.

I have some well priced bikes here, let me know what you think... remember, it doesn't need to be cutting edge or fancy in the least... just needs to be comfortable and capable. I'm leaning towards the steel Allez.

http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.aspx/Browse?Cat=C61&Prod=18938
http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.aspx/Browse?Cat=C61&Prod=20273
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI276C06-Rocky+Mountain+Prestige+10+Cr+10.aspx
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=51608&scid=1001&scname=Road

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just get what feels the most comfortable. I like having 25cc tires as they smooth out the road and can handle plenty of gravel when I get sick of the tarmac.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
If you're willing to spend a grand for a mail order bikes then www.bikesdirect.com is hard to beat. I personally wouldn't go lower than 105 or Rival. If you go with the Allez ditch the dt shifters for some brifters.

Edit: The steel schwinn letour legacy is pretty sweet.

Last edited:

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Heard something about Quintas, cant remember if good bad though. I wouldn't touch any of those 4 you linked, would go for a good deal on a Caad 5+ Cannondale or something similar geometry wise.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I haven't ridden any of those bikes, so I can't comment on the ride specifically. But I would agree that 105/Rival is a good thing to shoot for. Not sure how the latest Tiagra stuff stacks up, but there has usually been more of a jump from Tiagra to 105 than 105 to Ultegra or Ultegra to DA. If you plan on riding a good amount, I'd go for 105.

And I wouldn't bother with the Specialized. I would bet the overall package is pretty heavy, given the amount of generic parts on it and the 520 frame and steel fork. Also, DT shifters? That'd be kind of a pain and would cost a good amount to replace them (if you can even find much, seeing as it's 8 speed). Also has a 1" headtube.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I haven't ridden any of those bikes, so I can't comment on the ride specifically. But I would agree that 105/Rival is a good thing to shoot for. Not sure how the latest Tiagra stuff stacks up, but there has usually been more of a jump from Tiagra to 105 than 105 to Ultegra or Ultegra to DA. If you plan on riding a good amount, I'd go for 105.

And I wouldn't bother with the Specialized. I would bet the overall package is pretty heavy, given the amount of generic parts on it and the 520 frame and steel fork. Also, DT shifters? That'd be kind of a pain and would cost a good amount to replace them (if you can even find much, seeing as it's 8 speed). Also has a 1" headtube.
While I agree the steel Allez isn't the best choice considering you can get an aluminum Allez or something similar for just a bit more, 8 speed DT shifters are pretty abundant at most shops/eBay/other online retailers.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
While I agree the steel Allez isn't the best choice considering you can get an aluminum Allez or something similar for just a bit more, 8 speed DT shifters are pretty abundant at most shops/eBay/other online retailers.
By "replace them" I meant with a set of 8 speed brifters, which aren't as easy to come by.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002

Its between the Allez and the Qroo... now. The others are out.

Qroo = Good spec 105 and Ultegra, and fairly light for $1200.
Steel Specialized = Bad spec, but they'll get me one for $600. I bet I can get it to 17-18 lbs by building a set of light wheels for it. Weighs 19-20 lbs stock.

BTW I don't mind DT shifters. I have them on my roadie now and I'm use to them... not spoiled with the modern stuff yet :) As for steel vs aluminum and carbon. Aside from weight I like steel better than everything. I'll take 2-3 lbs additional weight from steel over the brick-like ride of aluminum any day.

Last edited:

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
$699 for this. Leagues better than the $600 SpecEd, no shop support though...

Pricepoint has EC70C forks for $90 if you don't like the steel fork.

Last edited:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Its between the Allez and the Qroo... now. The others are out.

Qroo = Good spec 105 and Ultegra, and fairly light for $1200.
Steel Specialized = Bad spec, but they'll get me one for $600. I bet I can get it to 17-18 lbs by building a set of light wheels for it. Weighs 19-20 lbs stock.

BTW I don't mind DT shifters. I have them on my roadie now and I'm use to them... not spoiled with the modern stuff yet :) As for steel vs aluminum and carbon. Aside from weight I like steel better than everything. I'll take 2-3 lbs additional weight from steel over the brick-like ride of aluminum any day.
Well, I guess if you don't mind DT shifters, it's not a huge issue. Just no real upgrade potential as all the 8sp stuff still made is lower end. I just upgraded to 9sp on my xc bike; finding things like nice shifters and cassettes without spending a lot was kind of a pain. Same with the road bike, which is 9 speed. Cassettes are easy to find, but shifters not as much because there's a real market for them.

I'd still go for the QRoo or another option though. Don't know where the figure comes from, but I highly doubt that the Allez weights 19-20 lbs. Aluminum frame/AL or carbon forks with better components can fairly easily get above 20 lbs at the low end. I'd guess more like 24 lbs or maybe a bit more.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Buy a used bike in that price range.
You already know that you like riding bikes.
Honestly- those bikes are covered in heavy happy meal crap to fit a pricepoint. None of the stuff dangling from those bikes is something you'd want to spend more than a few months on.
You can find some fantastic used bikes in the $12-1500 range.
Do that.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Thought I'd bring the thread to a close. Thanks for the input... I strongly considered buying a used tarmac, but it was all 105 spec with fairly heavy wheels.

In the end I couldn't pass up the quintana... same frame as the Lightspeed M1 as far as I can tell... with Ultegra and 105 spec... similar heavy wheels as the used tarmac (probably will build up something lighter with some aero spokes)... anyway, it's a descent bike, more than I need.

Have had a lot of fun on some long group rides already... my fitness on the roadbike from training for XC is surprisingly good compared to other roadies, especially on climbs. The cornering in close formations makes very nervous though.