Quantcast

Help and advice for track build (xpost)

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
We're building a track for a local race and I'm having a hard time imagining what I want to get done with the last section of it.

Here's a poor extremely out of scale illustration. The only thing there right now is the gap and step down.

The exit speed for the gap is fairly fast and there is about 50-75m of pedalable ground before the step down. The thing is if you go all out on this straight a way you over shoot the landing from the step down massively. Probably on the top 20% of riders will be able to do this but for the rest the speed of the step down as is is perfect.

This is spot also has the most spectators so I was thinking pedaling isn't the coolest thing these guys can see.

So what I thought up was a hip jump (ideally a rollable feature or a table top) to the right immediately followed by a hip to the left which would lead to the step down. I want to make it so the pro guys can preserve most of their speed while showing off a bit yet make it flowy enough for everyone else to have fun on. Objective would also be to not force anyone who wants to win to pedal their way into a massive over shoot on the step down yet make the course fast enough so the slower end of the field can still jump it and reach the receiver fine.

Problem is I'm having a hard time imagining what the features would look like. They would need plenty of dirt so I don't really want to experiment.

If you guys could link any videos or pictures of similar features or give any tips on how to make this work it would be well appreciated! :thumbsup:

Edit: Entrance to the section is about 30-40kph and the part illustrated is just about flat.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Careful with leaving racers 50-75 meters of pedal-able ground. If they are hungry enough they will overshoot. It is up to you to dictate the entry speed to a jump. To me it seems like there are too many variables. Cater the fast line to top speed guys and make the jumps to suit. You can make an outside line with a smaller jump for the slower riders. Make your gaps bigger on the inside of the hips and the slower outside line with smaller jumps and a go around even farther outside. Be really careful with overshooting. That is a design flaw in my opinion. In addition, gaps can be roll-able and don't need to be life or death in a racing situation. Don't forget they are also tired at the end of their run.

It is very hard to give more advice than that without seeing the layout. The end of a race track is pretty difficult to get right if you want to pack in a lot of jumps.

Hope that helps.