Quantcast

Help! barebones kit install...heat sink fan won't run..

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
so i got my new system (only to realize my dvd drives aren't compatible :disgust: ) so anyway, my heat sink fan quits when it gets into the POST. in my initial cmos/bios setup screen there is a warning, "cpu fan not working or too low rpm"
i went into bios and there is no option to control the rpm, just the low rpm warning setting.
the machine came stock with the breaker set at the higher 320 and even though my HDD wouldn't spin at that voltage, the heat sink fan ran just fine. so i switched the breaker over to the proper 120 or whatever the lower switch setting is and now my HDD works and i can actually boot through to windows...but the fan stops so i have to unplug before i melt my cpu.

i've checked all of the wires and i know it's getting power at some point because it runs on initial startup.

any ideas as to why it quits after post?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
one more thing....

the floppy cable that came with it is not a daisy chain and only has one terminal...and i have two drives....and the terminal doesn't match the pins on my dvd drive. so, is there an adapter that i can get so that i don't have to buy new drives? i know that the cables are cheap and that's not a problem, i just don't want to have to buy new drives. (sorry i can't remember the names of the cables....sata or ide...it's been so friggin long since i studied all the geek stuff and frankly, i never really liked it in the first place)

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
First the fan, is it plugged into the board with an orange square two pin connector?

Second, Floppy cables are different then the ones that plug into your cd rom drive. Use the cable that you are plugging in your hard drive with to connect the cd drive. make sure the jumper on Harddrive is set to master and the jumper on the cddrom is set to slave.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
yeah, i'm an idiot about the cables but coming from the old pc they were on two separate cables.

anyway, i'm thinking that my cpu fan may be just the way the amd "cool n' quiet" technology works. i googled some info on it and i'm going to disable the feature to see if it makes the fan run constantly. if it does than i know that's the problem, besides, my pc should shut down before it overheats.

edit: actually, i'm not as dumb as i thought i was. there are two cables. one clearly labeled "hdd" cable and the other says "floppy." the hdd cable fits my HDD but the floppy cable doesn't fit my disk drives and each cable only has one terminal, not a daisy chain like what i had in my dead pc.

i disabled the cool n' quiet function and the fan still only runs for about 1 second intervals every minute or so. then, after testing it for a while it keeps going back into post and giving me the "cpu fan either fail or rpm too low" message.
is my new mobo dead?

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
You can use the cable from your old pc and it will work fine.

Before you assume the board is dead, take the fan from the other computer heatsink and plug it in to your new board. Does it do the same thing as the new one when you turn it on?

Also, my board has two locations to plug in a heat sink fan, do you see another connector that looks similar to the one it is plugged into now?

do you have aim? I can assist you better over that.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Manimal, the floppy cable is only for a floppy drive. It's not for anything else, like your DVD drives. The "hard drive" cable is a standard IDE cable, and will work for anything like hard drives, DVD drives, CD drives, etc. You will probably have two IDE channels on the board, just use the old cable from your previous computer and plug it into the second IDE plug.

As far as your CPU fan goes, well, it's odd that it's quitting after getting some initial voltage. Just FYI, worst case is that you could just buy a fan from Staples or some place and plug it directly into your 4-pin power supply connector, and rig it to blow across the heatsink. Have you checked the manufacturer's website for a BIOS upgrade? Might be a bug.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i'm almost positive that it's a power supply issue because it spins fine on the higher voltage setting (although my HD won't work at the higher setting) and the fan twitches like it's trying to turn on but can't get enough juice to start. i'll look at the board when i get home to see if there is an additional heat sink fan connector.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
ok, i fixed the fan issue, i read up on this mobo and realized that i have to change a bios setting. now the problem is i get an "boot fail overclocking error or post interrupted" message

i'm thinking that it needs a bios update as there is a newer version for this mobo....the bios has ez flash installed but i can't figure out how to get it to read the external media that i have it on. i've tried burning the update to cd and using a thumb drive but it won't read the file on either. it'll read my xp install cd but nothing else

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
hmm... can you change the processor speed in the bios and therefore circumvent the need for the firmware upgrade, at least for now.

Then try and get a floppy dive and load the file on a floppy.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
my problem is that this POS company shipped the unit with an old, bugged, version of the bios. i am trying to flash the bios but i can't even do that.
this is why i got out of the tech industry....I FUGGING HATE TROUBLESHOOTING THIS CRAP!!!!
i think i'm going to return this pos!! what kind if jacked up company ships a mobo with a bugged bios!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
my problem is that this POS company shipped the unit with an old, bugged, version of the bios. i am trying to flash the bios but i can't even do that.
this is why i got out of the tech industry....I FUGGING HATE TROUBLESHOOTING THIS CRAP!!!!
i think i'm going to return this pos!! what kind if jacked up company ships a mobo with a bugged bios!
There *should* be an option in the BIOS to boot to a removable drive. You will need to put the flash .bin file and a simple bootable version of DOS on there. Make a recovery disk in a working copy of Win onto the thumb drive and add the .bin and then follow the MOBO manufacturers instructions from there.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
can i do that from another pc running xp since i can't boot this one far enough to make a bootable disk?

and the drive shows up in the bios updater when i choose "upload from file" but when i browse the drive with just the .bin file it doesn't show up. so how to i make a bootable disk on my thumb drive?

(i REALLY wish i could find my old A+ book...i forgot all of the annoying software crap)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
ok, i finally got the drivers install disk to load...the one that came w/ the mobo. when i choose the correct driver install for my OS it asks me to load a formatted disk to floppy A:
I DON'T HAVE A FRIGGIN FLOPPY DRIVE! there is an option to enter the dos text function but i don't know what to do from there. why the hell doesn't this thing come w/ instructions! eeffff ASUS!!!!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
ok, i finally got the drivers install disk to load...the one that came w/ the mobo. when i choose the correct driver install for my OS it asks me to load a formatted disk to floppy A:
I DON'T HAVE A FRIGGIN FLOPPY DRIVE! there is an option to enter the dos text function but i don't know what to do from there. why the hell doesn't this thing come w/ instructions! eeffff ASUS!!!!
What is the MOBO model? (It'll be in BIG letters right on the PCB)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Wait...this is a barebone, right? What is the exact barebone model?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856110077

ASUS V3-M2A690G AMD Socket AM2 AMD Athlon X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 AMD 690G 4 x 240Pin Integrated ATI Radeon(TM) 1250 Barebone - Retail

with this processor
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

also, regarding the beep. i think mine is just the usual pre-post power on beep.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856110077

ASUS V3-M2A690G AMD Socket AM2 AMD Athlon X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 AMD 690G 4 x 240Pin Integrated ATI Radeon(TM) 1250 Barebone - Retail

with this processor
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

also, regarding the beep. i think mine is just the usual pre-post power on beep.
If it's only a single beep, then it's just a start up thing. If it's a single beep...over and over again, with no boot up at all, it's a warning beep.

So (assuming you went with XP) here is the:
Manual

Asus update utility

LAN driver
Audio driver
Chipset drivers

AND

Bios utility

BIOS
Note:
BIOS update file for V2-M2A690G (Version 0601)
Support new version chipset
***Please use Awdflash v1.32 bios utility to flash bios***

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
****, all those links above are for the V2, not the V3....

OOPS.

Wait a sec....

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
thanks...but i can't even get the driver install disk to pop up like it says it should. i've tried using my xp install disk to repair xp and reload all of the basic drivers just so i can log into windows but it just glitches and reboots.
i'm going to try to flash the bios now that you found the flash utility for me...maybe the bios will recognize it now. if not, i'm going out to club a seal to relieve my frustration

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
holy hell...now i can't even get the bios error screen. i just get a "disk boot failure, instert system disk...press enter"
fack! sorry baby seals, i hope you'll understand!

edit: holy crap, i think it's reading the .bin file to update the bios w/ that utility.....waiting.....waiting.....errr...nope, still won't boot.

send it back?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
well, i got it into safe mode finally...but now the driver install disk won't load, i keep getting kernel dll errors.
so how can in install the drivers in safe mode?

(i know..i owe you an e-beer for all your help ;) )

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
holy hell...now i can't even get the bios error screen. i just get a "disk boot failure, instert system disk...press enter"
fack! sorry baby seals, i hope you'll understand!

edit: holy crap, i think it's reading the .bin file to update the bios w/ that utility.....waiting.....waiting.....errr...nope, still won't boot.

send it back?
Please RTFM and find where it shows how to reset the BIOS. (*should be a jumper pin on the board) Then try it again.

If that don't work, send it back.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BTW -

Nothin soothes a man's nerves like goin all Tusken Raider on some baby seals...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i think the bios is ok now that i flashed it but i'm in safe mode now and the driver install cd won't autorun and install the drivers. the new hardware wizard is going crazy looking for the drivers; i point it to the cd but it can't find them.
heck, at least i'm in windows now. i think i'll leave it up for tonight and tackle this in the morning. i've been wanting to put a new shifter on lil manimals bike and doing so will be a good frustration break for me since i couldn't find any seals lying around ;)
i REALLY do appreciate your help :thumb:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
i think the bios is ok now that i flashed it but i'm in safe mode now and the driver install cd won't autorun and install the drivers. the new hardware wizard is going crazy looking for the drivers; i point it to the cd but it can't find them.
heck, at least i'm in windows now. i think i'll leave it up for tonight and tackle this in the morning. i've been wanting to put a new shifter on lil manimals bike and doing so will be a good frustration break for me since i couldn't find any seals lying around ;)
i REALLY do appreciate your help :thumb:
Good! You're in the home stretch.

Working on the kid's bike will reset YOUR bios. :monkeydance:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
k, last post for the night and will give bv something to help me with when he signs on again.....why won't the install disk work? i keep getting a "can't execute the kernel mode driver service" everytime i click on the install cd. (well...everytime i tab to it because my usb mouse isn't working )

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sorry I didn't get your message last night, I was studying for my last final.

Safe mode is pretty limited, it disables most of your drivers. My guess is that's the problem. Two things: download the drivers from the Asus website, don't use the CD - consider that their old BIOS was all screwed up, imagine what their old drivers might do?

Also, you can't get into non-safe mode Windows at all? Is this a fresh format/install?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
no, i can't get into normal windows at all. i get a quick flash blue screen and it reboots. so can i just put the drivers on my flash drive and install them in safe mode? what folder do they go in?
and no, this is not a fresh format/install. i was trying to avoid having to back up my entire system. i have the important stuff backed up but when the backup utility gave me a 1 day, 12 hour time remaining on the complete backup i had to pull the plug because i couldn't tie up the spare work pc's for that long to do it.
my other problem is that i have xp media center on my HDD but the only xp install disk i have is xp pro from work. i was hoping to just snag the basic drivers off of the xp pro disk to get it up and running but that's obviously not working. i've tried booting from the install disk but it too reboots when it tries to start windows.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ohhhh...

Um.

Sorry, you're pretty much screwed. I don't know of any system that will effectively tolerate an entire hardware swap. It just doesn't work well. You have to remember that you've just swapped virtually every single thing that Windows knows about your system Even the hardware that you didn't swap now has new interrupts assigned and such. That's why it won't boot.

You really need to do a clean reinstall. Not trying to be a downer but you can either spend days fighting with this and end up with what will likely be a possibly usable but likely unstable system at best, and at worst never get it working... or you can just do the backup. Pull a drive out of another machine, install it in the new one, boot into safe mode and copy the files you need over.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
ok, so if i have all of my important docs (pics/vids) backed up already, minus my games and vid/photo editing programs, i can just go ahead and do a clean install and just reinstall the lost programs as i see fit right? a clean install wouldn't be a bad idea anyway considering all of the garbage i've picked up along the way.
will there be any backup issues considering i used a xp media center backup utility to an external drive or, since it's just pics/vids, is it pretty simple?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Nope, the backup utility is the same between media center and pro editions so there's no issue there.

The only things to keep in mind that aren't standard items are things on your desktop, favorites/bookmarks, and email from a client like Outlook if you use one. You can copy over save-games, too, since the games usually store them in specific directories.

Once you've got everything, just pop in the disc, select the full format (not quick format) and reinstall it.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Once you've got everything, just pop in the disc, select the full format (not quick format) and reinstall it.
Just to be safe, I backup the entire "Documents ans Settings" folder when I do anything major. Then I know that I got all the email, bookmark, etc, files. Most important if there are more than a couple logins. (I don't trust myself to remember every little file)