Quantcast

HELP! Bearing press fit 'class' advice needed (x-post with mtbr lol)

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
heres the deal. I'm designing a new shock link for my Stinky and I'm really pressed for time (before the machinists get swamped with, err, 'legitimate' work). Anyways I'm currently fussing for what press fits to use for the 22 and 28mm (OD) bearings for the 6061-T6 link. The written material i have is pretty crap, it vaguely suggests Classes LN4 to LN6, or in metric H7/s6 or H7/u6 (which i noticed dont exactly meet up with the ANSI numbers). I could also ask my profs but i'd like to hear from people that are in 'the area'.

Also, what would be a good hole spec for the 8mm shock bolt?

School unfortunatly doesnt help with these types of details (at least not yet) and this will probably be a one shot deal to machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
I don`t know all the technical jargan you just fed me but this could help probably a .0002 fit should be fine thats inch just in-case I`am back wards ,now the 8mm bolt are you threading this hole or is it a through hole ? :confused: ,I wish we used metric all the time :rolleyes: it would be so much easier to figure things out . good luck

G

Gutty

as you may remember i am a Toolmaker/cad/cam/cnc machinist. Don't know exactly what the numbers you mention are but could easily find out.(i believe H7 is slight interferance). From my experience and the 100 odd years experience from 3 guys i work with, my opinion is to go for about 0.0015-0.002"(inch) interferance fit. ie: hole 2 thou smaller than bearing. Have you thought about shrink fitting the bearings.

With the shock bolt, you'll need a set of verniers or a micrometer to measure the bolt as they do vary from batch to batch. Basicly you want only about 0.002" clearance. Just enough so the bolt doesn't bind in the hole. Good luck, hope this helps.

G

Gutty

just checked out those specs and H7/s6 (about 0.002"interference) is what your after, well thats the general opion around here. Best bet would be to ask Kona or anyone that uses the same style of suspesion that is willing to help. I see James@giant just registered. They went through this with the AC bikes, so he may have some (under the table) advice. Couldn't hurt to ask i guess. It's a shame your(i'm) half way round the world. I would be happy to do the machining for you. Free.

L

Lurch..

Do you realy live in Rancho Cucamonga?
Do you play for the Cucamonga cracker killers?
heheh, i didnt even know that place really existed. i thought it might have been made up for next friday.

later