Quantcast

Help chosing a new fork please

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Ok, so here is the dealio...

I have an old Planet-X DirtJumper/Slalom frame that I wanna build up for two reasons. First of all, it will be a DJ bike for me when I take my kid (6 yr old) to the local track. Then, in a few years, I wanna give it over to my son as his general MTB. The bike has something like a 20.5in ETT and 26in wheels so this is about the smallest MTB that he could fit on.

The only outstanding item I have is what fork to put on it. There aren't many 26in 1 1/8 steerer-tube forks out there w/ a 20mm axle. Right now I have it narrowed down to the following:

Manitou Circus (100mm) It comes with a HARD spring, but I have a line on a soft spring that I can put in the fork when I hand it over to him.

The other option is a used RockShox Argyle RCT. Its a 140mm Air w/ spacers to take it down to 80mm if needed.

So which fork and why?

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
I havery an argyle rct , it is ok, but not plush, it has no negative chamber so the fork only moves on big hits, mine is at 100mm, and I don't use it, I found a reba dual air with 20mm lowers, though you could get the argyle rct and then a reba dual air spring, which is very nice, I may end up swapping but I am smooth and only dj with it.

Else the older marzocchi dj were good, pre2007, I loved mine but was heavy, it was a 2k4.

I have no experience with the circus, but the higher end one is the only one to get, see pinkbike dj forum, it is quite active.

I may sell my argyle too, but it is pretty scratched and no stickers, all black..I should pos t a pic...

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I have the Circus Expert 100. Its light, stiff, nice. I really only use it as a get around bike, but I'll fly down stairs and some weird drops and such (cruising between Manhattan and BX old school free-roam style.)

There seem to be a lot of them around, and anyone I asked about theirs has been positive.

EDIT: I am currently a 212lb hack.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Old Reba 20mm (2011/12) is the unicorn. Was the choice fork in the waning days of 4x. Incredibly light but strong chassis, tuneable spring (air), good damping, 80-120mm, easy to work on. I have one and there is no way I'm letting it go. I'd find one of those if you could. You and the kid will appreciate the weight saving. Have heard good things about the expert but probably overkill for a junior.

I see lots of kids bikes around and they're all lugging around 4-5lb forks built to hold 200lb hacks. Sort of glad I started with rigid.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I had a RC revelation the older with the air valves top and bottom, adjusting both chambers independently was great for a DJ, I think my old one was 140, 150, lowered to 100. Sadly it was not 20mm but it was an option at the time.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Decided to go with the Manitou Circus and ordered a medium spring for it. Its a nice simple fork I can also use to learn a bit more about servicing/tweaking.