Quantcast

HELP - DK BB and Crank Noise (Profile copy)

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
I hope someone has an idea as this is a new problem. On my steelhead I have a clicking noise that I can feel and hear. It happenes at about 5 PM on the right drivetrain side downstroke on every revolution.

Last night I pulled the cranks and BB out. I checked the chainring (32T DK iron cross) and it had no bent teeth. there were a few that had a score from a derailed chain. I took sand paper and smooted out the score as best I could. I cleaned and put blue locktite on the BB shell cups and the crank bolts. I let the blue locktite setup overnight and then this morning I put it all back together.

Still the clicking persists and when I hammer it clunks. I checked and the crank arms and they do not seem to be loose...

Also when I pedal very easily it doesn't happen. It happens exactly at the same place every time. The BB cups and bearings seem fine and look good. These cranks have less than 100 miles on them too.

Also It isn't the pedal either. Doesn't feel or sound like it and I just swaped them out.

The chainline "looks" OK too.

I am hoping someone has an idea.

Any help is appreciated, this is driving me nuts.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Sounds like either the bearings or the mounting of the crank arm to the axle. Sometimes a really tiny mark or flaw on the bearings or cups can make a lot of noise. Reinspect them and be sure to clean them all shiny (cups too) so you can properly inspect them. Be sure to compare them to each other. Sometimes you might not even be able to spot the flaw as one of the bearings (or the cup) may not be quite round. However it is less likely to be the bearings if the noise happens at the same spot each time although it could be the cup in that case. That's also what makes me think it might be the mounting of the crank to the axle. You can check that by turning the bike upsidedown, grabing both cranks and trying to flex them both up and down at the same time. You might have to do this pretty hard to get any movement. Also with the profile splined design it's unlikely to happen anyway...

*shrug*

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
make sure the spacer like thing on the spindle fits perfectly between the bearings... If its not the right size to small or to big ive noticed that it makes alot of noise and can **** up your bearings to.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
The clunking/poping noise you are hearing is a blown out bearing, probably from not being spaced correctly, it doesnt take much to f them up. You should be able to replace just the one bearing. Hope that helps

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
drt_jumper said:
The clunking/poping noise you are hearing is a blown out bearing, probably from not being spaced correctly, it doesnt take much to f them up. You should be able to replace just the one bearing. Hope that helps
Ya I think you are right. I gave up and took it to the LBS.

offdawalley

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
hella over the rainbow
this sounds stupid but it might be the rear sproket or the hub , when I switched wheels on my bmx last week it started making a noise, thats kind of a crappy bike though, maybe its worth checking out

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
offdawalley said:
this sounds stupid but it might be the rear sproket or the hub , when I switched wheels on my bmx last week it started making a noise, thats kind of a crappy bike though, maybe its worth checking out
Thanks for the input but it happens every crank rotation. If it was the rear cog it would happen every other crank rotation because I run a 36t x 13t rear.