Quantcast

Help finding a new DH bike

connor123

Chimp
May 30, 2005
Ojai, Ca
I'm just coming off an ironhorse 7.5 and I'm looking for something a little more race oriented. I generally prefer a bike thats flickable but still fairly stable. I've been considering something along the lines of a Morewood or a DHR. I'm 5'8" and about 125lbs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

connor123

Chimp
May 30, 2005
Ojai, Ca
The Stab supreme was a consideration I really like how it looks for 07and it seems way slacker. From what I heard the v10 is an awesome bike but it sticks to the ground like none other.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
The DHR is a nice bike. I'm sure most people here will agree, you can't really go wrong. Sundays are nice too. V10s are not really what I'd call flickable.

Actually, I'm selling my DHR for $800 obo, it's a size medium. It has a 450lb spring though, you'd have to swap that out for something lighter. PM me if you're intrested.

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
dude, the new Giant Glory! haven't ridden one so I really have no room to talk but they are supposedly awesome..?? great reviews etc... one of those bikes you don't realize until you see one and say DAMN! just my 2 cents

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
you know what though... you really can't go wrong with any high end downhill frame these days. of course they all have their strengths and weaknesses but none of them are "bad" bikes. think long and hard about what kind of riding you do and what kind of riding you plan on doing in the future. do some good research and narrow down your search field. then... go test ride. that's the only way you'll really know.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I'm just coming off an ironhorse 7.5 and I'm looking for something a little more race oriented. I generally prefer a bike thats flickable but still fairly stable. I've been considering something along the lines of a Morewood or a DHR. I'm 5'8" and about 125lbs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PM has been sent on a great deal on a Morewood Izumu.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Geeze guys. Ya'll will spam him to death.

Cecil, for benefit to the public, why don't you give an honest comparison of the DHR and Izimu?

trumbullrider

Monkey
Dec 12, 2005
CT
several of my team mates came from dhr's to morewoods, they like the morewoods way more. Better geometry for racing imo.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Geeze guys. Ya'll will spam him to death.

Cecil, for benefit to the public, why don't you give an honest comparison of the DHR and Izimu?
DHR
I rode them for four years when I was part of SEI Racing. The bike is great, super fast, rails corners, and pedaled very well. The bike had very little brake jack. No floating brake adapter was available for this frame. My build was around 44lbs. The customer support we got from Dave was great.

Izumu
I have been on them for one year now. Bike is great, super light, pedals well, and rails corners better than any bike I have been on. My build is around 39lbs. I have found that the Izumu has a little more brake jack than the DHR without the floating brake adapter. With the adapter on the Izumu, it has no brake jack at all. I have tested it a few times. If I had the extra money lying around I would buy one. The rider support I have received from Richard and Patrick at Morewood has been the best I have every received form a bike company in my 8 years of racing.

I have nothing but good things to say about both bikes. I will have to say everyone has their own riding style. One bike may fit your riding style better than the other. For my riding style both bikes were great.

The main reason why I was on a Morewood this year was that they had faith in me. I was off the bike for two years because of a knee injury. I had no race resume for the 2 years I took off. It was very hard to just pick things back up where I left off with great contacts in the sponsor world I did have. Finding a good bike company to take care of me was hard and it took a lot of calls and e-mails to do so. When I found out about Morewood and where they where I knew I had to call them. After talking to Richard and explaining to him who I was, what I have done for our sport in the South East, and the racing I have done in my past, he then decided to hook me up. I am 32 now, he knows and I know I may never be as fast as I was in the past. But he still hooked me up.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC

Was there anything else that you didn't like about the 7Point? If the geometry is the main complaint I would think a Sunday would be the perfect bike. It definitely has the qualities you are describing.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
i love everything about my DHR other than the wheelpath. the bike gets hung up on every thing.

I'm riding a sunday next season and I dont plan on looking back!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
i love everything about my DHR other than the wheelpath. the bike gets hung up on every thing.

I'm riding a sunday next season and I dont plan on looking back!
When learning to handle your new Sunday, it is always best to "not look back". Instead, try to focus on the apex of the next turn ahead of you to better set yourself up to carry speed....

(back at ya'):brows:

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
When learning to handle your new Sunday, it is always best to "not look back". Instead, try to focus on the apex of the next turn ahead of you to better set yourself up to carry speed....

(back at ya'):brows:
haha i'll make sure not to!

Nov 9, 2005
correct me if i'm wrong but the sunday and dhr are bikes that better suit a more finesse rider, unlike the V10 which better suits a plow rider.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'd say Sunday and Demo 8 are kinda middle ground, DHR/Morewood are finesse, R9/V10 are more plow-ish. (Just a few examples)

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
DHR are really stable mine is like a tank when it needs to be and can be manuvered around better than the competitor DH rigs

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
If you are looking at Morewoods than you should check out the Orange 224, it's real similar to the Izumi but has a longer history and a few more titles under it's belt. Oh yeah, if anyone rants about brake jack when trying to sell you on their sponsored ride ask them to go back to 2002.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
There are a couple glaring differences between the Morewood and the DHR. For one, if you came off the 7.5, it's going to be hell for you to go to the Morewood as far as chainline growth is concerned. As the rear suspension compresses, it pulls on the chain, not too bad, unless you are pedalling, then the suspension doesn't want to move and kinda locks it out. Yes, I have ridden it, and yes, it's terrible(if you are picky). This will make the morewood a bit more stable because the wheelbase grows, but it's harder to corner because the back end gets longer as you compress in corners. Wait a week and a half and check out pictures of the new DHR from Interbike. The new bike has an 83mm bb shell for stability, is a half an inch lower at the BB, slacker head angle with a standard 1 1/is 8 headtube, and the kicker, the new DHR will be 2 POUNDS LIGHTER, so it's a sub 10 pound frame, a bit less the the Morewood with the recommended floating brake to keep the suspension active.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
.....Wait a week and a half and check out pictures of the new DHR from Interbike. The new bike has an 83mm bb shell for stability, is a half an inch lower at the BB, slacker head angle with a standard 1 1/is 8 headtube, and the kicker, the new DHR will be 2 POUNDS LIGHTER, so it's a sub 10 pound frame, .....
dang!!!! Cool for Greg and Dave. Good to hear they're tinkering still...SICK!!!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
There are a couple glaring differences between the Morewood and the DHR. For one, if you came off the 7.5, it's going to be hell for you to go to the Morewood as far as chainline growth is concerned. As the rear suspension compresses, it pulls on the chain, not too bad, unless you are pedalling, then the suspension doesn't want to move and kinda locks it out. Yes, I have ridden it, and yes, it's terrible(if you are picky). This will make the morewood a bit more stable because the wheelbase grows, but it's harder to corner because the back end gets longer as you compress in corners.
Thats a lot of bolony. The suspension locks out unless you are pedaling? WTF are you talking about?

It must be hard for all the people on Morewoods and Oranges to compensate and still win races. :banghead:

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Thats a lot of bolony. The suspension locks out unless you are pedaling? WTF are you talking about?

It must be hard for all the people on Morewoods and Oranges to compensate and still win races. :banghead:
I think he's talking about pedal feedback on single pivot bikes and they do exist but you just get used to it.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I think he's talking about pedal feedback on single pivot bikes and they do exist but you just get used to it.
Well he didn't say it very well.

Thats the problem with the internet. People take the word of either people that have no idea or don't know how to say what they mean.

I've always ridden FSR style bikes and I can honestly say I don't feel pedal feedback from pedaling unless I'm in my small chain ring on my Shova Trail bike. I don't feel it on my Izimu.

However I do feel brake jack under braking situations in rough sections. But its something easily adjusted to.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Well he didn't say it very well.

Thats the problem with the internet. People take the word of either people that have no idea or don't know how to say what they mean.

I've always ridden FSR style bikes and I can honestly say I don't feel pedal feedback from pedaling unless I'm in my small chain ring on my Shova Trail bike. I don't feel it on my Izimu.

However I do feel brake jack under braking situations in rough sections. But its something easily adjusted to.
Rough night at the rock last night??? :brow:
You seem tense..:brows: