Quantcast

Help finding new bike

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
A friend of mine just told me he is in the market a DH bike. Not sure of his buget. Most of his riding will be at Snowshoe. Right now he rides an old ass cannondale which scares me every time he gets on it, but every time we stop he is right behind us. He is going to kill it with a big bike.

Anyway what I would like is a list of companys that sell ready to go DH bikes. It needs to be a fairly simple strong design. He has three kids, bike maitenace
is not high on his prioity list. Any help with prices or opinions would be a great help.

Thanks
Dennis

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Crap - that's a pretty tall order there...

There's gotta be like a Billion questions he needs to answer before he can get exactly what he wants.... for example:

Height?
Weight?
Fitness?

Riding Ability?
Riding Style?
Preferred Terrain?
Range of Terrain desired to ride? (XC to freeride?, etc)

Equipment Preferences? (clipless vs. flats, etc.)

Does he have the necessary protection? (Helmet, Body Armor, Shin/Knee Pads, etc.)

BUDGET???

That last one is really important...

He has three kids, bike maintanance is not high on his prioity list.
*HOWEVER - what's even more important than that is BIKE MAINTANANCE.

...unless your friend doesn't mind upkeep on things like: Face maintanance, Spine maintanance, Broken Limb maintanance, Bleeding maintanance.....

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Yeah give us some specifics mr dennis. I'd say checkout the ironhorse yakuza series if hes on a budget but hed have to replace the fork since its crap but otherwise its a good bike for the $.

johnbrittain

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Amarillo, Texas
I'd go with the M3 from Intense wtih a custom set-up from go-ride. probly XTR with fox 40, the expensive one, deemax, an avy, and carbon bars/post. hopes for the brakes.

:rolleyes:

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Sorry I wasnt more specific. What I mainly want are companys such as GT, Giant,Iron Horse ect. that have out of the box DH ready bikes. Like I said he has 3 kids and runs his own company, so having the time to build a bike from the ground up is probably not his first option.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Iron Horse Yakuza with a new fork. Sunday if he can afford it.
Giant Eh im not a fan of their bikes they have ****ty chainlines.
GT eh

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I about a 2004 Cannondale Gemini 900 for just under $2,000. Its very well spec'd. It is at the shop that I work at up in in Central Maryland and he could probably walk home with it tonight. BTW, its a large.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Kona Stinky or Santa cruz bullit. Tons of shops carry them pre built and there supper simple low maintenance bikes. Price $2- $2.5K.