Quantcast

help fitting a big for a big dude!

ejvtec

Chimp
Aug 18, 2011
wilmington, delaware
hey all,
new to the site and biking in general. ive got a no name bike (got it from craigslist..it literally has not labels or identifying marks on it other than shimano on the brakes and derailers!) that i got before i started researching anything about sizes and frames for my size. i'm 6'5" and around 300lbs, and the bike measures at a 19" frame. while i ride, i have to be careful to avoid my knees hitting the handlebars. anybody have any recommendations for something to help (besides buying a larger bike, which i plan on doing after i do some saving!) ive heard i could get a "layback" seatpost to help give me some more room, but can they handle my burliness? any other suggestions? thanks for any help you guys can offer..
zak

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Some of the bigger guys I used to ride with had issues with standard bikes - particularly those that rode DH. You will have to consider many things that will impact your ability to safely control your bike. Everything will need to be beefy - frame, brakes, tire & rims. You'll want these for your own safety.

My advice may not be what you are looking for. Do the best you can with your current ride and save the $$ you will spend on upgrades for your next bike. The experience you gain from a ride that doesn't suit you will help you make good decisions on your next purchase.

What style of riding are you planning on getting into?

ejvtec

Chimp
Aug 18, 2011
wilmington, delaware
Some of the bigger guys I used to ride with had issues with standard bikes - particularly those that rode DH. You will have to consider many things that will impact your ability to safely control your bike. Everything will need to be beefy - frame, brakes, tire & rims. You'll want these for your own safety.

My advice may not be what you are looking for. Do the best you can with your current ride and save the $$ you will spend on upgrades for your next bike. The experience you gain from a ride that doesn't suit you will help you make good decisions on your next purchase.

What style of riding are you planning on getting into?
im only going to be riding mostly around my neighborhood, since ive got two young kids and a demanding wife, but occasionally i might be going on a couple of local park trails..nothing hardcore yet..
the good (well, better) news is that one of the guys i work with is gave me an older (1999 era) specialized hardrock with a 21" frame, so for the time being i can just get that road ready and ride that in the neighborhood for now. im already planning on saving what little spare money i can get towards a nicer bike..that will probably take a while though, because money is tight right now..