Quantcast

Help for a guy that wants the race

Mr. Sparkle

Chimp
Aug 5, 2002
Nor Cali
I've been biking for a while now and I wanna start racing. The problem is that my parents won't let me race... I'm 15, not some college idiot that still lives with his parents. You guys got any idea how to convince my parents to let me race?... I've tried beging, bribing and even trying to listen to them. I need to race!!!:angry:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I'm also 15 i race XC my parents didn't really want me racing DH and i never really wanted to. Why won't your parents let you what are their reasons?:monkey:

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Originally posted by Mr. Sparkle
I've been biking for a while now and I wanna start racing. The problem is that my parents won't let me race... I'm 15, not some college idiot that still lives with his parents. You guys got any idea how to convince my parents to let me race?... I've tried beging, bribing and even trying to listen to them. I need to race!!!:angry:
Maybe you can convince them to take you to a race as a spectator. Chances are good that not only will they see all the fun and excitement, they might even enjoy it themselves.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
that's pretty weak dude, did they give you any reason why you can't race. the races can get to be pertty expensive that's for sure! but i started racing when i was 12 so i hope that the age really isn't a problem w/ them... keep try though

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
Originally posted by indieboy

that's pretty weak dude, did they give you any reason why you can't race. the races can get to be pertty expensive that's for sure! but i started racing when i was 12 so i hope that the age really isn't a problem w/ them... keep try though

what if u bring your own food and sleep in a van? is it still expenive? I dont own a van yet but if I reaaly want to pursue B.C cup im going to have to.

my race costs are mostly

lincnce for 1 year $95

broken bike parts 0-$500 ( some times I have good years others I mess up big time)

food Free ( my mom packs me a good lunch):D

Hey! Im no college idiot, even though I do live with my parents...Im 18! Does this classify me as an idiot?? :rolleyes: Your parents should be supportive in all of your endeavors, if you havent even tried one race before, I cant understand how they can be soo negative towards it! Those kinda people really piss me off.... Still my parents have never seen one bike race in their life, nor have they paid any of my way in racing, except my dad paid for my mt snow entry fee... This summer I spent over $3500 between race fees, transportation (gas), and equiptment (not including cost of total bike). every dime of that was earned by one of my 2 jobs.

In conclusion maybe its a money issue, or maybe you just need to lose the parents. :D

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
Ok Mr Sparkle

do you want to do XC or DH?

if its DH ya want to do I recomend a bike with at the very least 5 inches front and rear travel and new may be the way to go often you can pick up a used bike for way less the new price but you take on the abuse the bike has taken and you lose the warrenty.
a new bike I would recomend is the kona stinky for I think $1500 U.S

for DH a full face helmet is also requred along with gloves and most likely long sleve shirt and pants if you dont have leg armour.

DH is by far the more expenive side of the sport because as you get more exprinced a true DH bike will be needed along with total body armour (wich aint cheap) .

XC on the otherhand is much more aplealing to parents and begginer atleates frst off you can do a beginner XC race on next to any mountian bike ( I raced a giant rincon and came in second in my class in one race) truley in XC the bike makes little difrence unless your at expert or higher it just has to be in good running shape.

also shops put on anual races (wich is what I do) wherer you go out have a good time regisration is inexpencive and you race to have fun they give out prizes like tires tee-shirts ect this is a real great way to get a taste of a sport.

also for XC you dont need much just a bike helmet and gloves so in compareison to DH its way cheaper

XC is also a gret way to build up your motor(endureance,power,lungs heart) and will make you a stronger rider should you want to DH later on.

try both, I really wanted to DH for a long time I had done a XC or two and reallly had fun but when I did my first DH I lost both my brakes ( pad fell out on the front Lever broke in the rear) and I had no fun. my 2nd DH went fine but I didnt feel like I did anything special 6mins and it was over so here I am wearing spandex and eating powerbars.:D

Aug 8, 2002
kamloops
just go and say "Mom, dad, im really thinking about racing mountain bikes for a career, and i would like to enter in this race... i dont care if you suppoirt this decision or not but i wanna race and im gonnna and you cant stop me (enter evil laugh here)" then run out the door an hour later with your biking gear on grab your bike and say your leaving and your not coming back till you take the gold!