Quantcast

help from anyone who works on suspension

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
ok, i need you guys help on a non bike related question.

i am looking for a damping fluid that is as clear as possible, i need it for my final year project as the main goal is to track the movement of a relief valve (high speed compression valve). in order to do this, the easiest way is to use a lazer which is available in the lab.

the first fluid that came to mind is redline like water and 2.5wt which is slightly blueish. i will be running an experiment this week to check how well the lazer will work in fluids, moving from water, cooking oil and finally the very dark red castrol aero hf585b fuild which the damper was designed for (which i doubt will give any readings at all)

i dont have to match the properties of the original fluid but something as close which is clear will be ideal. the data for the castrol fuild is 14.0 cSt@ 40C, 5.4 cSt@ 100C and a VI of 350. VI isn't too important as i do not expect the rig to heat up significantly.

thanks for the help,
Adam.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
A lot of the Maxima Fork Oils (not Fork Fluids, so the ones that come with the green labels) are very clear with a yellowish tint.

I THINK Golden Spectro is, well, golden.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Curious as to what you're doing here. Measuring doppler shift in reflected laser radiation to analyse fluid flow?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
no no, nothing that advanced.

like i said in my first post, its to track the face of a relief valve to see what it is doing. relief valve is just a high speed compression valve in bike terms, or poppets as cane creek call them. big difference is this one is fairly big, around 8mm diameter port.

the problem is that the damper it came off is designed for a very very high leverage ratio, it has to be due to size constraints. so the problem is that there is a delay in the closing of the valve on the rebound stroke. they suspect the valve closes and bounces back.

along with a laser to track the face for displacement, there will be the usual other instrumentation of accelerometers and pressure taps. and if everything goes well, fingers crosses, i have access to a scanning laser and then we will be able to look at the leakage of the valve below the threshold pressure and see how it opens as i suspect it wont be oblique.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
interesting alright.
are you planning on doing particle image velocimetry with this setup? If you are make sure to get your seeding correct to get a clear picture of what is going on.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
nah, nothing that complex. even though its a final year masters project, its only 19 weeks long and only 40 credit points out of a total of 120. so no phd kinda stuff.

the work will be mainly to see what the relief valve is doing, again not going into great detail as this is a first attemp at studying the valve this way. if all goes well and we get some results it will be great, then some poor sod will have to further the work next year. :)