Quantcast

Help, Gore-tex repair.

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
I don't usually post in the lounge. I know there are a lot of people with outdoors experience here and I need some help. If this is the wrong place for this post please feel free to move it.

I just got a Lowe Apine paclite goretex jacket for Christmas. It was rainy last thursday, so I wore it on my commute to work. Riding home I hit patch of black ice, wrecked and put a large tear in the front pocket. The patch kits I have found are not big enough.

Can any one recommend someone that does gore repair for large rips?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I don't usually post in the lounge. I know there are a lot of people with outdoors experience here and I need some help. If this is the wrong place for this post please feel free to move it.

I just got a Lowe Apine paclite goretex jacket for Christmas. It was rainy last thursday, so I wore it on my commute to work. Riding home I hit patch of black ice, wrecked and put a large tear in the front pocket. The patch kits I have found are not big enough.

Can any one recommend someone that does gore repair for large rips?

If not geargrrl, I sent my jacket back to NorthFace to repair*. I would imagine Lowe Alpine has similiar service.

*<$50 to replace one of the back panels(16"x24"?)

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
If not geargrrl, I sent my jacket back to NorthFace to repair*. I would imagine Lowe Alpine has similiar service.

The local bike/Outdoors shop looked into it for me, but they don't do repairs.

North Face's service sounds really reasonable, thats promising.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Geargrrl would be the best to ask if you are going to repair this or get it repaired, but I can't believe Lowe won't do a repair on it.

When I worked at Mountain Hardwear, the warranty/repair dept had a jacket sent in after it was torn apart by a bear. They replaced it no questions asked when they were not able to repair it.

According to Lowe Alpine USA's site, these are the recommended repair people:
http://www.ripstoprepairs.com/

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I am factory authorized by North Face and Helly Hansen; I work directly with Mountain Hardware and Arctreyx, be glad to take a look at it.
best to email me
info @ specialtyoutdoors dot com

geargrrl (cuz I fix gear)

also, there is a great do it yourself product. It's peel n stick gortex tape, made by Kenyon, that works really really well. It only comes in about three colors though. I know you can get it REI.

thank for the referrral, monkies.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side

that sounds about right. If anyone wants to know why, I could break it down for you.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also, if you are sending it to geargrrl, make sure you haven't washed it and you might even want to pee on it first, just for good measure. :D

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Well if I remember correctly, gore-tex is backed by a lifetime warranty and they will repair or replace any issues you come across. If I were you I'd look into that. I just took some test stuff for selling gore-tex (I work in a shop) and I believe that was one of the things I read, was how gore-tex will back up all of their products.

Could be wrong...but if it saves ya a few bucks...why not?

http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/content/customer-service/contact-us
^Go there.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Well if I remember correctly, gore-tex is backed by a lifetime warranty and they will repair or replace any issues you come across. If I were you I'd look into that. I just took some test stuff for selling gore-tex (I work in a shop) and I believe that was one of the things I read, was how gore-tex will back up all of their products.

^Go there.
:think:

They won't cover torn garments. Period.

If the garment fails via water penetration, seam failure, etc, then yes. If you damage it, they don't cover it.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side

^Go there.
The warranty is not for self inflicted damage. The lifetime warranty is for manufacturing defects and fabric failure such as delamination, and only if the manufacturer won't honor the warranty or has gone out of business.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
The warranty is not for self inflicted damage. The lifetime warranty is for manufacturing defects and fabric failure such as delamination, and only if the manufacturer won't honor the warranty or has gone out of business.
how do you do that? You said the same thing I did with less words and shorter syllables...