Quantcast

HELP!!! hayes nine brake bleed plug popping out

boxierrric

Chimp
Oct 23, 2012
so i crashed my bike(usually when the problems start) and landed straight on the brake. fluid came pouring out of all angles of the lever. then i got home and bled the whole thing to see what was wrong. everything seemed ok then when i pressed it, the plug popped out. tried it a few more times with the same result. with a more closer inspection i found out the plug was metal. so will i need to replace the lever, or can i replace the ruber inside it, or can i get away with it with ductape or bluetack. sorry cheapskape me talking here. i like the best value for money.

Sounds like master cylinder rebuild time. Repair parts for the nine series tend to cost enough that it's more effective to buy a whole new brake on eBay. It'll cost a hair more than parts to rebuild the master cylinder, but less effort and ultimately more reliable.

boxierrric

Chimp
Oct 23, 2012
If I rebuilt the it how will it have any affect dose the kit come with the rubber bit inside. And yes it is that plug

You're not bothering to read people's replies. The link that jonKranked posted is to a Hayes HFX-9 M.C. bleed plug for sale for $3.

Trouble is, if you order online, shipping will probably be in the $5 to $10 range. Other rebuild parts will easily add $50, and a bleed kit will probably put you over the $75 or so it would cost you for an entire brake on, say, eBay.

Last edited:

boxierrric

Chimp
Oct 23, 2012
I've got a bleed kit. Got the plug. And a rebuild kit costs £20. A brake that cost £20 isn't going to do you much good.