Quantcast

Help: How do I put my bike on a trainer?

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Please help: My neighbor just gave me a used Trek Mag trainer before he moved out. No manual. How do I put my freeride bike on it? Do I need additional parts i.e. a special skewer?

My bike is a Cannondale Gemini with a quick-release hub.

I've never paid much attention to trainers and how they're set up because I couldn't afford one. If anyone has any pics of a set-up (how it attaches to the rear wheel) that would be excellent. Thanks!:confused:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
There should be 2 ~3/4" diameter cupes that come in from each side and grab the quick release. One side should have a handle on it and should screw in. It's not very elegant. Make sure the tension know is backed off all the way othersie it won't fit.

Trainers aren't very good for bikes. They ruin tires and are hard on frames. A trainer puts loads on the rear triangle that the bike was never designed to take. Many people, myself included, have an old "rain bike" that is reserved for trainer use.

Have fun.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Wumpus said:
Does it look like this?

Wumpus, yes, that's the trainer.

I looked for the manual on the Trek site but I didn't see it on there.

I'd put a "rain bike" on the trainer but I only own one bike--this freeride bike.

I don't expect a detailed explanation from folks. Perhaps somebody out there's knows that trainers are mainly sold for road bikes and if mountain bikes require extra stuff or not?

My neighbor used this trainer for his road bike. And I'm thinking big, burly mountain bikes might require something different than his bike required. Looking at the picture, on the top right, there's that sliding cylinder of metal with the black plastic sphere on it.... I just don't see how that thing is going to grab onto the handle of my quick release.

I'll probably just take it all to my LBS...

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
Its better to use a road bike. when you use a mountain bike it is very loud and wears out your tires. ive never actualy seen someone use a DH bike on a trainer.

splat

Nam I am
do you havea Slick or a worn out tire you can use ? but those 2 Pegs in the trainer should clamp onto the Bolts/Skewer of your rear Hub. then the tire goes onto the drum, and Since your not blond I would assume we don't have to tell you it is for the rear wheel :)

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The side opposite the knob goes on to the quick release lever -- notice the cutout.

I have heard of mountain bike tires melting and slinging rubber so make sure you put up some kind of shield in case that happens. I would go buy a slick to use. It is going to be really loud with normal tread.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
ride_fast said:
Its better to use a road bike. when you use a mountain bike it is very loud and wears out your tires. ive never actualy seen someone use a DH bike on a trainer.
This is correct. Get a road slick on the rear wheel if you are going to use that trainer. Otherwise just use it as everyone here has pointed out.

The Ito

J

JRB

If you don't have a slick, PM me your address and I will mail you a performance slick that I have in the garage. It may take some work to cram a wire bead tire in a box that is not huge, but I'll give it a shot.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Hey, everybody, thanks for your help. Yeah, I'll get a slick tire and see how it does. The trainer was free, so it's worth a shot as a winter training option. On the other hand, since I got it for free, I'm not going to sweat making it work, either. I know riding a freeride bike on it is weird but it's all I have, and it's got to be better than nothing, right?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
I know riding a freeride bike on it is weird but it's all I have, and it's got to be better than nothing, right?
It's not weird, but if you run through a recent ride in your head while riding on the trainer like I tend to do, avoid the urge to lean the bike in corners and bunny-hop the logs. :)

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Ugh. I've been thinking about it and I don't think I want to mess with a trainer. There's an exercise room on the ground floor of my apartment. It's way easier.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
Ugh. I've been thinking about it and I don't think I want to mess with a trainer. There's an exercise room on the ground floor of my apartment. It's way easier.

I'll cover the shipping if you want to send the trainer this way!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
Wumpus, yes, that's the trainer.

I looked for the manual on the Trek site but I didn't see it on there.

I'd put a "rain bike" on the trainer but I only own one bike--this freeride bike.

I don't expect a detailed explanation from folks. Perhaps somebody out there's knows that trainers are mainly sold for road bikes and if mountain bikes require extra stuff or not?

My neighbor used this trainer for his road bike. And I'm thinking big, burly mountain bikes might require something different than his bike required. Looking at the picture, on the top right, there's that sliding cylinder of metal with the black plastic sphere on it.... I just don't see how that thing is going to grab onto the handle of my quick release.

I'll probably just take it all to my LBS...
loosen the little knobby thinky in the back under the roller. Then put your bike in it then tighten it back up and your good to go.
you want there to be enough tension to keep the bike from moving when you slide the little leaver slidey thing on the right (looking from the back) you dont wana push the two legs apart too much.
then lock it in place and tighten up the thingy under the roller again and your ready to go.