Quantcast

Help! How to convert my 20mm axle?

myles3a

Chimp
May 20, 2006
Washington
I have a 20mm hub and axle on my current front wheel. But with the recent purchase of my new fork and it was a downgrade. It does not fit 20mm axle. It only has 9mm drop-outs. Is there a way i can still keep that 20mm hub but have a 9mm axle for my new fork?

Thanks for the help

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't know if there's a generic 20mm-to-QR adapter, but many companies make adapter kits for their own hubs. What kind of hub do you have?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I don't know if there's a generic 20mm-to-QR adapter, but many companies make adapter kits for their own hubs. What kind of hub do you have?
There isn't, because 20mm hubs are spaced wider. If the spacing was the same, it would be really easy to make a step down axle that would work on all 20mm hubs. But that's not the case.

I'm pretty sure the WTB hub isn't convertible.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Offer it up for a swap in the classifieds. I'm sure someone would be willing to trade a similar QR-hub wheel for your 20mm-hub wheel.

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
Azonic Outlaw wheelset's are also convertable, (both front and rear). The front converts from either 9mm QR or unscrew and slid out the internal piece and add the adapter cups for 20mm. And the rear axel slides out as well to use on 12mm thru frame setups.
Usually you can get them from mail order sites for around $250 for a set, so pretty cheap option for a complete wheelset thats also convertable.