Quantcast

Help ID my car problem

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I Are Baboon said:
Well I took my car in last weekend for a 45,000 mile routine maintenance. They told me my front brake pads needed to be replaced soon and that they would sand down the rotors.

My wheels got rotated and aligned during that service, so I will be pissed if that is the problem. I should also mention that I had two of the tires replaced about a month ago, so now I am running two different sets of tires with my ABS. I was told when I got the two new tires that it would not pose a problem.
Hmm... so you took your car in and it was fine. They gave it back to you after rotating the tires and it now has a steering wheel shimmy. Take it back to them.

Sounds familiar BTW, I'd be VERY interested to see what they tell you is wrong. I am having a similar issue. All started after my first service. It has gotten pretty bad and the mechanic is having a hard time isolating the problem. I did a little of my own research and I found a lot of people having the same issue... LINK TO THREAD. I am the last poster (rhumbatumba). I explain my situation fully in the thread.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I Are Baboon said:
Well there you go! :D

The question is, does that address the problems I mentioned at the start of this thread?
This is a wild guess about the surging, but since it is AWD maybe it is trying to compensate for the difference in tire size. Seems kind of out there, though.

**I know nothing about cars.

Where did you put the old tires -- front or rear?

Wumpus said:
This is a wild guess about the surging, but since it is AWD maybe it is trying to compensate for the difference in tire size. Seems kind of out there, though.

**I know nothing about cars.

Where did you put the old tires -- front or rear?

everyone keeps saying the tires are different size - THEY ARE NOT - THEY ARE THE SAME SIZE just different models.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
MtnBikerChk said:
everyone keeps saying the tires are different size - THEY ARE NOT - THEY ARE THE SAME SIZE just different models.
But if one is new and the other is worn depending on tread depth the new ones could be up to 1/2" bigger around.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
When you had them rotate the tires did you tell them to balance them again? I have the same problem and had the tires balanced and it went away.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
OK, for those of you who like "closure", my car problems have been identified.

The shaking steering wheel was due to the tires being slightly off balance. They have corrected that, as well as installed my two new ones.

The issue with gas pressue feeling inconsistent was due to the "throttle position censor" needing to be replaced, whatever the hell that is. They ordered the part and it will be in later this week. I'm just glad they actually found a problem and don't think I'm nuts. :blah:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I Are Baboon said:

The shaking steering wheel was due to the tires being slightly off balance. They have corrected that, as well as installed my two new ones.

The issue with gas pressue feeling inconsistent was due to the "throttle position censor" needing to be replaced, whatever the hell that is. They ordered the part and it will be in later this week. I'm just glad they actually found a problem and don't think I'm nuts. :blah:
Nice :thumb: Glad to hear it wasn't anything too serious!

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
I Are Baboon said:
I seem to be having a couple of issues with my car. I have a Monday morning appointment to have it looked at. I've got two problems:

1) It's not braking smoothly.
don't use cantilevers. maybe get some disc brakes if your forks are set up for them.

2) Hard to explain, but I will try: When I am going fast (70-75) the steering wheel shakes.
too much shock preload and maybe too high pressure in the shocks. Plus your dilithium crystals are sort of spent. maybe send in Mr Spock?

Seeing how there are some
jackoffs with too much time on their times here
, I figured I'd bounce this off the :monkey:. Any guesses as to what this might be?
yes, but few of them useful

J

JRB

I Are Baboon said:

Thanks for the closure, but I should add, they likely think you are nuts, whether the car has a "gas pressure feeling" (whatever that is) or not. :D