Quantcast

Help IDing a Boxxer

jcook1989

Chimp
Jul 26, 2008
San Luis Obispo/San Diego
I have a Boxxer on the Sunday I just bought and I'm having trouble figuring out what it is. I'm pretty sure it's a combo Boxxer at the moment but was wondering if anyone else could shed some insight.

I was hunting all the SRAM tech docs about it and I'm pretty sure the lowers are 06+ because they have a DH Maxle. Internals and stations are what I'm having a little trouble with. According to the 05 cutaways it's a Team, a spring in each leg and a hole on the on the bottom of each leg for compression and rebound adjust. What is throwing my off thought is that it doesn't have a full 8 inches of stanchion exposed under the lower crown and when I cycle it without springs it seems to want to stop just short of the crown. I guess that would mean its an 04 7 inch but the 04s don't have a the compression damping.

Kind of stumped and these being my first Boxxer I'm not sure up on their history or mods people do to them.

Could it be 05 with only 7 inches? Could someone have put compression damping in an 04? Would a 7 inch Boxxer work with 8 inch lowers?

Here are some pictures of it.

jcook1989

Chimp
Jul 26, 2008
San Luis Obispo/San Diego
I can get 7 inches out of it without the springs in. I had an zip tie on it the other day and got close to six out of it, partially the reason for these new quest because I was wanting lighter springs for it. It has a second hollow bolt on the bottom of the left side leg that you can put an allen in just like it details in that tech doc for the 05 Team and WC. But if it only has 7 inches it can't be a 05 Team. Did people put 05 compression carts in the 04s?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Yup. I just found in the 04 users manual that the 03-04 teams did indeed have a externally accessible compression control. SOB. At least know I now.

Follow up question. Nothing bad about using 8 inch lowers with 7 inch stanchions and internals right?
correct, the 8" have longer bushings. Should not be a problem.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Yup. I just found in the 04 users manual that the 03-04 teams did indeed have a externally accessible compression control. SOB. At least know I now.

Follow up question. Nothing bad about using 8 inch lowers with 7 inch stanchions and internals right?
The stanchions are actually identical from 2003-2009. There is no problem; the internals will just lower the top-out position of the fork to give you 7" of travel instead of 8".