Quantcast

Help! Is my ISCG Mount bent?

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
Im trying to fit an lg1 e13 chainguide......

The bike is an intense Socom with an ISCG (old) mount.

I wastrying to fit the guide to the mount.I washaving problems so decided just to try and fit the backplate to the ISCG, the middle mount appears inward... is this a regular thing? to have to bodge stuff? or am I doing this wrong.... I never fitted one before.

heres a pic.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
It's always hard to visually see if something is bent in a photo because of parallax. Take a straight edge (perhaps a nice ruler) and use the BB face as reference. With the rule sitting flush on the BB face, if the tab moves away from the rule it's bent 'back', if the tab pushes the rule away from the bb face, it's bent forward.

Not that hard realy.

Also, run your guide BB mount for this very reason.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Im trying to fit an lg1 e13 chainguide......

The bike is an intense Socom with an ISCG (old) mount.

I wastrying to fit the guide to the mount.I washaving problems so decided just to try and fit the backplate to the ISCG, the middle mount appears inward... is this a regular thing? to have to bodge stuff? or am I doing this wrong.... I never fitted one before.

heres a pic.

Is this a brand new frame? The mount on the frame certainly does look bent to me. The ISCG tab looks really thin (narrow) to me also, the e.thirteen adapter is 6.3mm thick, and the tab is noticeably thinner.

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
Is this a brand new frame? The mount on the frame certainly does look bent to me. The ISCG tab looks really thin (narrow) to me also, the e.thirteen adapter is 6.3mm thick, and the tab is noticeably thinner.

No its not brand new I got it second hand..... I have no reason to think the last guy bent it, its not used at all really.....

Yes thought the ISCG tab was really thin looking.....

I will measure with a ruler now... is there a workaround if Idrilled out the e13 backplate and tighened it up? or bent the backplate (pretty hard to do!!)

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
No its not brand new I got it second hand..... I have no reason to think the last guy bent it, its not used at all really.....

Yes thought the ISCG tab was really thin looking.....

I will measure with a ruler now... is there a workaround if Idrilled out the e13 backplate and tighened it up? or bent the backplate (pretty hard to do!!)
I don't think that you would need to drill out the backplate or anything, perhaps you could use an extra spacer washer where the bent tab is so that the backplate is spaced to the correct chainline. All in all I would suggest a quick call to Intense. Jeff is a great guy and he has a great history of helping out riders in need.

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
yeah thanks for the advice I will give them a call, Irangthembefore about stuff they are helpfull.

One thing....
Im just thinking here that the last owner had a LG1 (with taco) (and bent it)

as the taco is transferring all the forces to the iscg tabs.......they bent... and in this case (socom) they are quite thin tabs.

I dont think ISCG was designed orginally to take these forces?...

but then again .....I dunno anything really just thinking maybe I could use a design that has a bash ring... there would be less forces on the ISCG mount

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The ISCG tab looks really thin (narrow) to me also, the e.thirteen adapter is 6.3mm thick, and the tab is noticeably thinner.
This is why I would NEVER run a taco on this frame! SRS all the way. And this from a weight weenie :poster_oops:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
yeah thanks for the advice I will give them a call, Irangthembefore about stuff they are helpfull.

One thing....
Im just thinking here that the last owner had a LG1 (with taco) (and bent it)

as the taco is transferring all the forces to the iscg tabs.......they bent... and in this case (socom) they are quite thin tabs.

I dont think ISCG was designed orginally to take these forces?...

but then again .....I dunno anything really just thinking maybe I could use a design that has a bash ring... there would be less forces on the ISCG mount
Are you speculating that he used and LG1 or saying that he did?

Either way, a frame with ISCG05 tabs (that are to the standard 8mm thick) will take the impact, but the ISCG OLD tabs are a holdover design from 1998 and really never were too great at taking impact. All serious downhill riders should really be demanding ISCG05 on their new frames from all manufacturers. Lighter, good..., stronger, more good!

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
This is why I would NEVER run a taco on this frame! SRS all the way. And this from a weight weenie :poster_oops:
yeah,butyou couldtry a gamut P40,much lighter than an SRS. Think thats what I am going to go withasthe ISCGdont have to be as exact.

Either way, a frame with ISCG05 tabs (that are to the standard 8mm thick) will take the impact, but the ISCG OLD tabs are a holdover design from 1998 and really never were too great at taking impact. All serious downhill riders should really be demanding ISCG05 on their new frames from all manufacturers. Lighter, good..., stronger, more good!
yes, well DW I guess you would know about that :-) ,
I guess the intense m6 has heavier ISCG tabs.. or are ISCG 05.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
The ISCG-old tabs on my Giant are not welded, rather they are cnc'd with the BB shell and therefore all one piece. They are beef. So its quite a generalization to say that all ISCG-old tabs are crap. I'd say any tabs that are welded should not be used with a taco style bash gaurd. If they are apart of solid piece of metal then giver.
That just looks like some shady craftsmenship on intense's part.

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
hehe thats true, actually only saw the gamut (oh damn I said it again :-) ) in an ad in Dirtmag. It was of Ben Reid from Ireland so have to go with them now I think.

Orfen

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
UP, michigan
yeah,butyou couldtry a gamut P40,much lighter than an SRS. Think thats what I am going to go withasthe ISCGdont have to be as exact..
go buy the latest issue of Decline. the one with Minnaar on the cover.

take a good look at the guide on his bike.

nuff said..

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
My 08' V10 has ISCG05' tabs, but Santa Cruz just said running an LG-1 voids the frame warrenty because the tabs will not take the impact?

Chaz-man

Chimp
Jan 23, 2007
In a hole near a mountain

this one?
cant see it.. whats up with it?

Oh, that is funny. Yeah, the gamut is light, but you need to run an extra taco bashguard to keep it in 1 piece. How's that work when you are counting grams? Did anyone else see the picture of Minnars bike with 3 bashguards at the same time from worlds? How is that for confidence in your product? Not good I think. Whatever, I tell the kids at my shop if they want to not think about it get something strong and reliable.

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou

this one?
hehe i'm in that issue!
the article on the fluidride cups.
On the first FR cup:
1st jr. x
1st jr. slalom
was out of the second one with my separated shoulder
:spam:

anyway.
I've never had problems with my gamut.
I started out with an e-thirteen SRS, then went to a gamut. The gamut runs smoother IMO and i've had no issues with strength.
(sorry DW)

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
Oh, that is funny. Yeah, the gamut is light, but you need to run an extra taco bashguard to keep it in 1 piece. How's that work when you are counting grams? Did anyone else see the picture of Minnars bike with 3 bashguards at the same time from worlds? How is that for confidence in your product? Not good I think. Whatever, I tell the kids at my shop if they want to not think about it get something strong and reliable.
Well I think its designed to break at a certain point... I'd rather a broken 30 Euro bashguard than a bent messed up crankarm/bb

Also it is Greg Minnaar and he is riding worldcup races, I'm not really pushing it at that level :biggrin: so I think it will be fine for me. (and probably most people dont hit their bashrings at the extreme speeds greg would)

Ryan Jackson

Chimp
Jun 26, 2008
hehe i'm in that issue!
the article on the fluidride cups.
On the first FR cup:
1st jr. x
1st jr. slalom
was out of the second one with my separated shoulder
:spam:

anyway.
I've never had problems with my gamut.
I started out with an e-thirteen SRS, then went to a gamut. The gamut runs smoother IMO and i've had no issues with strength.
(sorry DW)

That is awesome, where are you in the magazine!

I had the exact opposite gamut experience as you. I worked at a shop, a big Specilaized dealer and we had about 10 of them come back for various broken parts, mostly broken bashguards, bent boomerangs and rollers. I had one that came on my demo 8 and I killed it pretty quick. Got an e.thirteen and I think it runs quieter and with less drag plus it takes a beating. Everyones got their own thing though thats what makes biking cool.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Well I think its designed to break at a certain point... I'd rather a broken 30 Euro bashguard than a bent messed up crankarm/bb

Also it is Greg Minnaar and he is riding worldcup races, I'm not really pushing it at that level :biggrin: so I think it will be fine for me. (and probably most people dont hit their bashrings at the extreme speeds greg would)
Still, I'd rather buy a product that I know will hold up and won't cause me issues than one that is questionable.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
He might be running a taco so that his cranks don't get yanked when he hits something.....

I've broken two evil bashguards and no gamuts (same gamut bashguard going on two years now). Given I had evils on there longer so I'm sure it's just a matter of time but still.

I have seen one crack, but it's not like they're fragile.

Last edited: