Quantcast

Help make st.patricks day a national holidy

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Yeah, we need to make an official government holiday to celebrate the Catholic Church's recognition of somebody who helped rob a native people of their own religion and tradition. Sounds like a plan to me.

:disgust:

Don't misunderstand me though, I'm all for having a couple of pints on St. Patrick's Day and waking up in a jail cell the next morning if that's your thing but I personally feel that as a society we've lost sight of what most of the holidays we celebrate are truly about. When I start hearing radio ads in January for the "Saint Patrick's Day season" it bugs the hell out of me. All it appears to mean to people today is a day to go out and get piss drunk on cheap green beer while pretending they're Irish. This and most other holidays have become over-commercialized train wrecks of the celebrations they were originally meant to be and I've chosen to remove myself from the madness that surrounds them. I'd rather spend a day hiking in the mountains with my wife and dog or riding the trails with my friends than be part of some drunken mob.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I personally feel that as a society we've lost sight of what most of the holidays we celebrate are truly about.
Are you telling me Easter isn't about a Rabbit that hides eggs? Or are you more on the whole "Birth of Christian Savior vs. Santa Claus" path to reason?

All holidays are a joke. Most of them are founded by Hallmark in order to sell people who lack personal thought a greeting card.

I am mostly Irish and I like to hit the pub on St Patrick's Day to watch all the jackasses. I don't think it needs to be a holiday, but I guess it's no different than Columbus Day (He "discovered" America so the English can kick out the foreigners, right?).

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Are you telling me Easter isn't about a Rabbit that hides eggs? Or are you more on the whole "Birth of Christian Savior vs. Santa Claus" path to reason?

All holidays are a joke. Most of them are founded by Hallmark in order to sell people who lack personal thought a greeting card.
Most Church holidays were carefully timed so that they would coincide with the Pagan celebrations that came before them thus making it easier for Pagan converts to make the transition without feeling like they were completely abandoning their original faith. It's all about assimilation.

Hallmark sure is the driving force behind a lot of modern "holidays". I don't really know who to blame there though, people in general for being lazy and unimaginative or the company for taking advantage of that.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah, we need to make an official government holiday to celebrate the Catholic Church's recognition of somebody who helped rob a native people of their own religion and tradition. Sounds like a plan to me.
Hey, we've got Columbus Day.