Quantcast

Help Me Choose a New Frame - 3 choices.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
I'm currently on a '09 Commencal Supreme DH and have been for about 4 months.
I love it.So far the best feeling bike i've ever owned (owned a 1st gen V10,Ventana El Cuervo,'08 DHR,and many more.)The suspension feels lovely,quite plush in the begining of the stroke with a noticable ramp-up towards the end.Feels pretty damn bottomless to me.It felt even better once I took out the DHX and popped in an Elka.

Geo's spot on,too.I've got the headtube fully raked(64*)and with a '09 Boxxer team and 2.5'' WTB Dissents the BB sits right around 14'',i'm also running the wheel slammed in the drop outs,which yields a 46'' wheel base(i'm on the small/medium).

To sum it up,I love the damn thing.Perfect feeling bike for my tastes.
Couple of things to keep in mind though...the frame is pretty hefty.With the headtube sleeve,King headset,rear axle,Thomson post,and DHX with a 600 pound steel spring it was slightly over 13 pounds.The pivots will come loose.Alot.Locktite all of them(espically the one that's hiding in the linkage,down by the BB.)and keep them tight.After about 8-10 full days on my bike they started to tighten up.Also,the bike came with a QR seat clamp...not a big deal,swapped it out,but it just bothers me that a full on DH race frame comes with that.

Anymore questions feel free to ask.
Fully slack position is actually at 63 Degrees... 65 is the steepest setting with a 64 degree zero slack and 63 at the slackest.... Just to clarify:thumb:

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I rode my Supreme DH at 64 most of the summer and tried 63 toward the end. I think I like the 64 better. But that's the nice thing about the bike, don't like the geo? Change it.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
I will put my vote in for the jedi. it has definately inspired some confidence. It is a pretty unique bike though. With the 2.5" of rearward travel and the idler pulley it makes for a very predictable and smooth ride. The crazy short chainstays help it corner well too.

here is a video one of the local kids made. he is crazy. Its from a video contest that the canfield brothers put on. It describes the benefits of the bike.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/85486/

I cant comment on the other 2 bikes but i have ridden a v10, socom, demo 8, nicolai ufo st, and various other bikes and the jedi does feel comfortable right from the start. Plus with the customer service it would be hard to beat the canfield bikes.

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
Commencal-guy,really?
I'm on a '09 World Champs edition Supreme,and it said 65* was stock,66* was steep,and 64* was slack on the little hang tags that came with the bike.It'd be news to me if my headtube was at 63*.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
A friend of mine and myself are both riding and racing a '09 Supreme DH for about 10months now.
Overall I am really satisfied with the bike. But with both our bikes the linkage got play in them really easily. That is caused by overtightening of the bolts wich causes the aluminium rings to shear of and effectively cause the bolts to have no effect on the linkage. I made thicker stainless steel rings for that and both the bikes are play free for a couple of months now.

And some other thing I noticed is that in my bike the headtube sleave can be rotated by hand while inserted and the pinch bolts loosened. Whil in my friends bike you have to take the sleeve out with a block of wood and a hammer. So my conclusion would be they have some wide tolerances or problems staying in the tolerance range.

Like said before, the suspension performance is great. The adjustable geometry lets you tune it to your preference.And maybe it is on the heavy side but that isnt noticable on trail.
And I would rather have a heavier frame then some of the recent lightweight disposable frames

I measured the head angle and it was at 63.2 degree in the slackest position.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If you want a lighter bike I don't really see why you are considering the commencal - it weights 5.7kg with shock (at least my friends m size did). I have a lot of friends who got it nevertheless and they are very happy with the ride, though not so much with the build quality (one got cracked new, other was very loose from new though that's not a big problem) and the time it takes for commencal to get a new frame from warranty is ages. Wanted to take it but now - not so much.

If you like slack but agile maybe go the same way I did - Banshee legend. 63.8HA and proto reviewers claim it is pretty lively. Though Jedi is a sweet option and I'd be very tempted to get one if there were some used at the time I ordered my banshee.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Banshee legend is nice bike, but I'd imagine with the quality and size of that company, the price is way to high for me.

About build quality. I might have scored a deal on a 2010 Commencal Supreme DH. The build quality allegedly improved significantly from last year (says a few shops I called around to, and some owners of newer ones).

About weight. It is supposedly 3 pounds lighter than my frame now. That frame is supposed to be 10.5 pounds w/shock. My frame demo 9 frame is 13.5 pounds

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Banshee legend is nice bike, but I'd imagine with the quality and size of that company, the price is way to high for me.

About build quality. I might have scored a deal on a 2010 Commencal Supreme DH. The build quality allegedly improved significantly from last year (says a few shops I called around to, and some owners of newer ones).

About weight. It is supposedly 3 pounds lighter than my frame now. That frame is supposed to be 10.5 pounds w/shock. My frame demo 9 frame is 13.5 pounds
Size large with CK headset installed, with rear axle, no seat clamp, and no shock = 10.27 pounds.

Attachments

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Size large with CK headset installed, with rear axle, no seat clamp, and no shock = 10.27 pounds.
So lets say it is 10 pounds minus the headset, I'd say that is a fair weight deduction.

I looked online for other weights. Another guy on here said his was 10.24 lbs with a vivid size large.

Dh kid said that, maybe he will chime in.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208664

Also realize, mine is a size small, which might (I am probably wrong), cut off a quarter pound.

An elka is about 1000 grams with a 400lb spring (a 400lb spring is a bit too heavy for all 135lbs of me too). That is the shock I will be getting. So about 11lbs with shock we will say. That's not too bad, still a 2.5lb saving off my demo frame.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So lets say it is 10 pounds minus the headset, I'd say that is a fair weight deduction.

I looked online for other weights. Another guy on here said his was 10.24 lbs with a vivid size large.

Dh kid said that, maybe he will chime in.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208664

Also realize, mine is a size small, which might (I am probably wrong), cut off a quarter pound.

An elka is about 1000 grams with a 400lb spring (a 400lb spring is a bit too heavy for all 135lbs of me too). That is the shock I will be getting. So about 11lbs with shock we will say. That's not too bad, still a 2.5lb saving off my demo frame.

IF I remember right he had the pre 09 one. You mistake bikes. Pre 09 ones cracked more often but were light and indeed weighted 10.5 with shock, now it's closer to that weight without it ;)

About banshee - if you went with preorder earlier in 09 the prices were mad on it (at least in britain) now it's 2999$/1999 pounds if I remember right.

Also if you want something cheaper and considering commencal I'd seriously go TR450 over it. Transition has far better customer support, the frame is lighter and the other trannies had far less issues while it's steal resonably priced. I'd also look at mondraker summum. I don't know about the us price of it but around here it costs ~2500$-2600$ with shock and we have a much smaller market and a 22% VAT.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
IF I remember right he had the pre 09 one. You mistake bikes. Pre 09 ones cracked more often but were light and indeed weighted 10.5 with shock, now it's closer to that weight without it ;)

About banshee - if you went with preorder earlier in 09 the prices were mad on it (at least in britain) now it's 2999$/1999 pounds if I remember right.

Also if you want something cheaper and considering commencal I'd seriously go TR450 over it. Transition has far better customer support, the frame is lighter and the other trannies had far less issues while it's steal resonably priced. I'd also look at mondraker summum. I don't know about the us price of it but around here it costs ~2500$-2600$ with shock and we have a much smaller market and a 22% VAT.
I'd say the Commencal and TR450 will be about even (all just e-speculating). Although I wonder if the same would be said if the Athertons and Cedric didn't ride it. I don't really like the newer demo 8's (ridemonkey blasphemy!), but now that Sam Hill rides demo 8's, some people love them.

Mondraker kind of strikes my interest. There are no USA dealers though. It only strikes my interest because it will be cheaper. Like I said previously, what I want to achieve in buying this frame is durability (2010 commencal quality), a "faster" more race oriented bike with race bike geo, and something lighter. The 2010 commencal still has my frame beat by about 2 lbs.

I would not mind a TR450 though. They are lighter and probably on par with quality and performance. Although transition has muchhhh better customer service probably. But they might not be able to get back to me in time and I really doubt with my limited race record and just Cat 2 wins that I have what it takes to be sponsored by their race section.