Quantcast

Help me choose a wagon.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Its time to buy a car.

I need a station wagon as they get the best MPG and have lots of space. AWD would be nice, but high MPG would be best.

I was looking at the legacys and they seem to be cheap, but i dont really know anything about them. Ive heard that the volvos are good but they dont get as good mileage as a the legacy. Any one have any other sugestions?

A toyota corolla station wagon looks nice as well, but there only seem to be about 50 in the USA.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Nothing says "chick magnet" like a station wagon.....

Think about getting an extra cab truck for room (for friends and bikes). If you need things enclosed then add a camper shell.

Even if it's a Pinto, enjoy your first car! :dancing:

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
We have a 99 legacy wagon. It gets like 28mpg in the city i think, AWD is great for driving in bad conditions, and 4 bikes and people are easy to fit in with a rack. Pretty fun to drive also.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Subaru Outback. I got mine last year and it is sweet. I got the hook up with a nice Thule Big Mouth on top. Its a nice car.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Roof racks on the roof and the hitch. Wow thats a lot of racks. The roof racks will lower your gas MPG a little but not much.

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Wagon => Subaru

Forget Outbacks too common.

Legacy GT or Legacy 3.0R Type B

Complete stealth, all the toys and the they have a 6 speed box.

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
I've got a 2004 Subaru Legacy wagon and have no complaints whatsoever. I can fit two BMW TMX's plus gear for two riders in the back with no problem. Traction is like a monorail; frequently, when I enter tight corners behind someone, I come out way ahead of them. The mileage is good, and it rides plush and quiet. JMHO.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
mack said:
Help me choose a wagon.
Every time I glance at this post title, I see, "Help me choose a woman."
Maybe I've just come to expect that here... ;)

On a serious note, similar to the Outback and the wagons you're looking at, have you looked at a Pontiac Vibe? The Vibe has the same engine as a Toyota Matrix (but more space than the Matrix), great MPG, and a 115 V outlet so you can make margaritas from the front seat.

BillT

Monkey
What price range are you looking at? There's a huge $$$ difference between all these suggestions, so give us a range so we can narrow things down for you.

Personally, I've had my WRX wagon for over 3 years now and still love getting in it to ride. I can put two bikes on the roof and gear for two people in the back and still have the back seat completely empty.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
rpk1988 said:
Roof racks on the roof and the hitch. Wow thats a lot of racks. The roof racks will lower your gas MPG a little but not much.
Yeah, sometimes I need to carry 4 bikes (2 XC and 2 DH). Plus, the DH bikes with bigger tires are hard to get up on top of my SUV and I don't like the way they hook in as well as the hitch rack. I'll take off both for the winter to improve mileage.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
TreeSaw said:
Yeah, sometimes I need to carry 4 bikes (2 XC and 2 DH). Plus, the DH bikes with bigger tires are hard to get up on top of my SUV and I don't like the way they hook in as well as the hitch rack. I'll take off both for the winter to improve mileage.
Yea I would take mine off when it snowed but its just easier to leave it on there so if i want to go ride. And its kinda hard to put back on and get lined up.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Im looking at around 5 grand. Thanks...

Those audi wagons are sick! But i think a Subi Legacy is best, im gunna look at the vibe as well.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
seriously look at wrx wagons, so sweet AWD 227hp, small for a wagon but not too small. the new a3s look sick. ur best bet would prob be a jetta TDI, cool and sweet mpg

DO NOT get old volvo wagon, you will regret it forever...they are reliable but the cons are much worse, there SLOW, there handeling is HORRIBLE, they get crappy milage (my 240 dl sedan gets around 20city, 24highway) and the plastic inside imeditally cracks and brakes. only plus is ull have a unique old skool car, but that doesnt help really

BillT

Monkey
mack said:
Im looking at around 5 grand. Thanks...

Those audi wagons are sick! But i think a Subi Legacy is best, im gunna look at the vibe as well.
For $5k, I'd look at used older Legacy wagons or maybe even older Foresters. I think a used Vibe/Matrix will be more than what you are looking for.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
If AWD isn't a necessity, look for a Camry (if you don't mind automatics) or Accord (if you want a standard) wagon. As much as I loved my Forester, the Accord V6 is longer lasting, faster, and gets better gas mileage. If AWD is important, I can't recommend my Forester enough, though.

Someone else pointed out the Matrix/Vibe (by the way, they are exactly the same size inside), which is a great car. Super practical, and if you don't mind the automatic can come in AWD. And the Vibe is eligible for the GM employee discount... so very cheap for something coming off Toyota assembly lines. The downside is a really buzzy engine. Bothers some people, others are fine with it.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
The camrys look nice, maybe that would be best. Because then i could put spinners on it and they would be legit, but still ****ing hillarious.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
All this talk about Subaru wagons - they're nice (I've had two), but their mileage, frankly, sucks. You can expect no better than 27mpg. If someone promises you a Legacy that gets better, they're trying to scam you.

I've liked both mine - first was a '95 that I sold with 196,000 miles and the other a '97 Outback with 118K on it that I still drive.

But the mileage is pretty mediocre.