Quantcast

Help me choose my next bike (WTF?! Something bike related in The Lounge?!)

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Hey guys, since I cracked my frame on New Years, I have been searching around and narrowed my next bike down to the following:

• Intense Carbine
  • Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon

Intense Carbine:

(not actual bike, this one has a much nicer component build)

I would get it in a Large and here is the geometry:

The build I can afford would be a lower end Shimano SLX kit with RockShocks suspension.

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon

nomad.JPG

Also be getting a Large and here is the geometry:

This build kit would be a pretty similar Shimano SLX build with Fox suspension and Reverb seat post.

I can get both for a very similar price and they both weigh in about the same (30-31lbs). I am going to be using the bike as an all around bike that will probably see some rough trails. Any advice or thoughts? Any other bikes you think I should look into (under 3k complete)?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'd go SC based on my prior QA issues w/ Intense. I really recommend riding a SB66c first. It blew me away the first time I rode it. F*ing amazing.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Nomad with a 1 degree angleset or works headset. Loved mined for all that fun shizz in SC as well as the high country stuff in the Sierras. Until it was stolen I was gonna keep that bike forever...

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
'Have to agree with Stoney WRT QA/Intense. I like the Nomad, If you can add a look at the SB66 and even the '13 Banshee Rune.

I'm wookie sized, so I'm somewhat hooked on the 29 thing, (better fit IMO)...that said, if you're inclined to throw a leg over a comparable group of 29ers, they would include: Santa Cruz Tallboy LT, Yeti SB95, and Banshee Prime. I'm sure there are others, but that's what comes to mind ATM.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
You have to ride them. I was sold on a TRc until I rode one. The sizing is odd and it puts me dead between sizes. I also decided I don't like VPP.
I was coming off an Intense.
Ended up getting an Ibis. I love it. HD140 w/ an Angleset

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Been selling parts off it to fund the new bike. Still have a Hammerschmidt, vengeance fork, wheels, tires, brakes, etc. for sale if anyone is interested.

Leaning towards the sc at the moment.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Telling you, having ridden the predecessors to both intense and SC, I was blown away by the SB. That's all I can add, but holy isht does it ride well. If I could only have one bike for all bay area riding, that would be it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If DW had a cult I would join and drink the kool ade
it's called the ridemonkey DH forum. Though lots of the cult members have left to join rather doomed biking endeavors...

Uh oh, now they'll be pissed...good thing they never visit the lounge...

Back OT, those two bikes are remarkably similar. I think I'd head for the SC just based on Intense's bike schizophrenia. In two months they'll completely ditch what they're doing and opt for something totally different, and your bike will be left in the dust. The Nomad has had some time to get sorted.

Also, I'd actually consider a banshee for the first time. The new rune looks pretty good, although you can only run it in retard slack mode. hope you never have to climb or slow down! They've also finally sorted out their bushing system by not using them, despite almost everyone else in the industry already having figured this out. Does it share the wannabe-DW leverage rate that the legend has though?